Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

90s FPS with elements that outdid Doom

Duke Nukem always impressed me with it's subtle touch of humor that didn't take away from the serious feel of the game.

While we're on this subject, does anything know anything about an SGI graphics demo/game in the form of an FPS where the player character wielded a dip/fountain pen in place of a proper weapon?  I think I saw something like this on TV at some point in the 90s, and seem to recall it using very high res textures and sprites.

On 28/3/2017 at 3:51 PM, GoatLord said:

Also, check out Cyclones from 1994. It has some pretty nice features including sort-of dynamic lights, room-over-room, stuff like that. I never heard about it until recently.

Yeah, I was thinking about that game too... I played it a little long time ago, I found and buy a compilation of various games on a store where there was this game too... The only and the biggest problem I had with that game is the controls. The new freelook thing uses the arrow keys, a type of keys that in the 90s pc games in general are used for moving the player in the virtual space of the game, meanwhile the movement keys are taken to another selection of keys that now I forgot.... It wasn't the modern WASD one, but another selection of more absurd keys... Anyway some letter combination...

Going to join the Blood club here. The atmosphere, music and sound effects (the burning cultists, the zombies roaring when killed, gargoyles screeching) is spot on. Also, Stephan Weyte did awesome job with the sadistic, yet sarcastic nature of Caleb (his laughs in particular). No other FPS main protagonist had me grinning evilly on his one liners as Caleb.

It is probably the only game for me that outdid Doom and has one of the best weapons to date: Napalm Launcher.

Also regarding Powerslave (aka Exhumed), it was a nice surprise to me. Didn't expect much when I found it, but played really well and was different from other shooters in a positive way. But definitely not better than Doom.

I think Blood may have been the better game if not for the monster roster being slightly underwhelming (too many inconsequential critters and lackluster bosses) and the lack of a source code release. Its mod community is small, but I've played a couple that outdo most Doom mods.

1 hour ago, Walter confetti said:

Yeah, I was thinking about that game too... I played it a little long time ago, I found and buy a compilation of various games on a store where there was this game too... The only and the biggest problem I had with that game is the controls. The new freelook thing uses the arrow keys, a type of keys that in the 90s pc games in general are used for moving the player in the virtual space of the game, meanwhile the movement keys are taken to another selection of keys that now I forgot.... It wasn't the modern WASD one, but another selection of more absurd keys... Anyway some letter combination...

It sounds like it was either trying too hard to separate movement and aiming in an attempt to be more realistic, or it was trying to emulate the player controlling a mech...

4 hours ago, GoatLord said:

It sounds like it was either trying too hard to separate movement and aiming in an attempt to be more realistic, or it was trying to emulate the player controlling a mech...

Yep, i think the first option...

If I remember correctly, Wolf 3D had patrolling enemies, which Doom and other Build engine games hadn't.

It also had score system, which was removed from Doom and, IMO, would've been a good addition to it.

I believe Duke3d's pigcop tanks and flying craft could be made to patrol waypoints--in fact, I'm not sure if the fliers were ever used without waypoints.  If Wolf3d had started from its very inception as a pure arcade shooter, I wonder if it would have bothered with patrolling..  In a game without variable alarm state/stealth functions, patrolling is practically just graphical fluff to do neat things like having a patrol strolling away from you at the start of a map (loved when Quake did this.)

edit:

Actually, if you strictly define patrolling as waypoint-following before alert, I guess Wolf3d and Quake are the only true contenders so far.

Edited by Reiken

If I remember correctly, the flying craft in Duke3D cannot function without being tied to a waypoint path placed by the mapper. It continues following the path and never leaves it even after seeing the player, just occasionally stops in place and fires towards the player if currently having line of sight.

As someone who's used the Build Map Editor, they use the exact same waypoint system as the subway cars do. Literally the exact same object serves as the path placer for both. So, basically, the Recon Patrol Vehicle is just a flying subway car that stops to shoot at you. :P

Granted, Subway Cars can also shoot at you if they have a parallax sky above them, as demonstrated by E2M1 with the space shuttle.