Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

Starcraft become free (and get a remaster)

On 3/27/2017 at 11:25 PM, Avoozl said:

I would love a remaster of Diablo II but there's no chance of that ever happening.

Yes there is:

"Compelling stories. Intense multiplayer. Endless replayability. Qualities that made StarCraft, Warcraft III, and Diablo II the titans of their day," Blizzard said. "Evolving operating systems, hardware, and online services have made them more difficult to be experienced by their loyal followers or reaching a new generation.

"We're restoring them to glory, and we need your engineering talents, your passion, and your ability to get tough jobs done," it added.

Blizzard's new Classic Games team sounds like a small one, as the developer added that a successful candidate will need to "wear many hats" and be familiar with "small teams."

Blizzard is Working to restore Legendary Starcraft, Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 to their glory.

On 01/04/2017 at 8:28 AM, Flesh420 said:

Yes there is:

"Compelling stories. Intense multiplayer. Endless replayability. Qualities that made StarCraft, Warcraft III, and Diablo II the titans of their day," Blizzard said. "Evolving operating systems, hardware, and online services have made them more difficult to be experienced by their loyal followers or reaching a new generation.

"We're restoring them to glory, and we need your engineering talents, your passion, and your ability to get tough jobs done," it added.

Blizzard's new Classic Games team sounds like a small one, as the developer added that a successful candidate will need to "wear many hats" and be familiar with "small teams."

Blizzard is Working to restore Legendary Starcraft, Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 to their glory.

Oh suu-weet, I can't wait. However I hope it will be free at least for the owners of the original version.

For sure Fonze, once I re-learn how to play properly. Never played Brood war though, only the original, so get prepared for that!

Haha. Yeah it's been over 10 years since I've played/opened starcraft, I hope I still remember how to play well. But trust me: you won't know how to properly play until you play against a human that embarrassingly wipes you out in the first 2 minutes, heh. That used to happen to me a lot playing as protoss. Prolly will happen more again.

Wtb turns.

I may or may not play a practice game before we play, but I'll likely play as random. Just let me know whenever you are down for a match.

There are a few of us in #mxu on irc.esper.net that are planning to play this weekend (maybe 4 of us so far), join up to stay posted!

Started downloading it right now. It's about time I got my hands on an RTS and I think the original Starcraft will be a great introduction, for me, to the genre. Hope I will learn fast (in singleplayer that is, because I don't want to get devastated from the beginning).

Ugh, the guys at my school had been pestering everyone to pirate Starcraft and play it. I said I could get banned by my internet provider if I as merely touch the utorrent.

Besides data plan, now I literally have no excuse NOT to play it...

... but I have to study! D: I cannot waste time on games NOW...

*boots up gzdoom again*

Did anyone had luck running that free version of Starcraft on WinXP SP3? It spews "an unexpected error" on my old laptop.

Installed the free version a couple of days ago, and man, this game feel ancient... it makes feel age of empires 2 like a top modern rts. No rebind able keys, maximum units selection restricted to 12, the fact you have to manually assign each worker to do it's job after it is created and some general ui unfriendliness...

edit: you can't select multiple building? this is really bad.

BUT, overall i'm really interested in it, if the time zones collides i may even try to join you two @Fonze @Decay to get properly demolished!

Regarding xp: here's a post by blizzard, unfortunately, making it compatible with the newer systems may have broke backward compatibility... it's not the fist time i see it happens, so i guess is almost inevitable with older games.

Edited by Cacowad

Yeah it seems they borked it pretty badly. I've found something called SC Downgrader, will later try to see if it fixes things and report back. I'm only interested in SP, so it shouldn't be much of a problem...

3 hours ago, Cacowad said:

BUT, overall i'm really interested in it, if the time zones collides i may even try to join you two @Fonze @Decay to get properly demolished!

Hell yea dude, the more the merrier, anyone is welcome to join us

I installed it a few days ago and it runs like a dream. I did turn off the texture filtering though, since most old 2D games look butt-ugly with it enabled.

I actually never played Starcraft before, so when playing I went off the experience I have playing Warcraft 1 + 2.

SC Downgrader doesn't seem to work with the newest patch, sigh.