Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
4shockblast

Beat No Demos Month

I found some old stuff too. The 2005 demo is one of the first I ever recorded. The sloth demos were the first demos I included with my own wads. dbzone is one of those zdaemon coop wads with infinite ammo. All the ports are appropriate (zdaemon demos might be backwards compatible, I don't know).

coopbuildlm (dsda) map07 9:23 max (with deaths) (zdaemon 1.06)

sloth3g map03 1:40 speed (zdoom 2.0.63a)
sloth04 map04 39:49 max (zdoom 2.0.63a)

dbzone7 (dsda) map01-05 21:52 speed movie (zdaemon 1.08)

TODunreleased1.zip (all demos + sloth wads)

6city2t.wad NM Pacifist in 0:22 0:20 (bah - route improvement that I couldn't ignore)

This wad was apparently in the old cdrom.com archive (I found it at a now-defunct Korean mirror) but never made it to the new archive. So the wad is attached too.

6citn020.zip

6city2t.zip

Edited by Grazza

A bit more old stuff. DDCB01 is a nomo obstacle course wad by ak-01 with jumping, platforming, rocket jumping, etc. that I'm not sure was ever released. The dib28a map30 max has 'player drops weapon' so you can keep the bfg after you die (it's a coop wad and that map is brutal in single player).

DDCB01 (all recorded with gzdoom 2.0.96, times refer to wad's built-in timer)
map01 9.23 speed
map02 3.05 speed
map03 11.32 speed

dib28a (dsda) map30 69:51 max (with deaths and player drops weapon) (zdaemon 1.08)

dib28a (dsda) map01-03 23:13 max movie (with deaths) (zdaemon 1.08)

TODunreleased2.zip (all demos + DDCB01.wad)

FYI, this isn't dead. I'm just traveling for a few days and don't really have the time to count up all the points. Keep the fillers coming. :)

Can it really be called table-filling where there are no previous demos on the wad, so a table doesn't yet exist?

Anyway, here's Ramhits2.wad map02 NM Speed in 0:14

I was disappointed not to find a way to exit as a zombie, other than a pure "trickaholic" run.

ram2n014.zip

How about table-creating?
The past couple days I continued where I left off last decade. Some of the coopbuild demos I used noclip for the coop-required doors/keys (another player has to open a door for you or different player starts on different keys, I couldn't find a way to exploit it alone except for map04 where I ran on monsters heads to reach a coop switch and map23 where I archvile jumped to get a coop switch). Most of the dib demos were recorded with zdoom 2.2.0 because newer versions of zdoom handle dehacked lumps differently. The dib map04 demo was something I wanted to do back then, it involves grabbing bfg through a wall at the start of the map before it normally opens when the map is almost over. It wasn't designed that way, but someone figured out the bump on a coop server and it makes single player much better.

coopbuildlm (dsda) maxes (with deaths) (zdoom 2.8.1)
map01 7:30
map02 6:29
map03 11:00
map04 22:58
map06 15:30
map11 13:15
map13 2:55
map14 17:07
map17 24:41
map21 14:19
map23 16:51

dib28a (dsda) maxes (with deaths) (zdoom 2.2.0)
map02 15:15
map04 13:28 (zdoom 2.8.1)
map05 22:25
map09 9:30
map10 11:52
map11 12:23
map23 31:13
map26 22:14

TODcoopbuildlm_dib28a_fillers.zip (all demos)

Here is an ancient demo pulled out of the time machine, 2001.
Pretty bad, and it beats no demos :)

Et13-023

Eternal doom level 13, spd, pac, 100's, 23 seconds

ET13-023.zip

On 4/2/2017 at 2:57 PM, Zahid said:

Caverns of Darkness

shit maxes for amazing mapset

map 8 at 5:05
map 7 at 9:24

As vdgg indicated, apparently this mapset is for ZDoom+ source ports (and it looks like these maps were done UV-Max in ZDoom by vdgg on DSDA).

On 4/2/2017 at 2:57 PM, Zahid said:

GHOST2.WAD

at 8:04

Likely just me being stupid with the Dehacked or extra WAD files, but this demo desynced for me, would be nice if someone could verify it runs properly.

No problems here. The demo plays back with or without the extra WADs as long as the Dehacked file is loaded.

MAP07 - 8:04.97 (8:04)  K: 139/139  I: 20/26  S: 1/1

On 4/3/2017 at 1:38 PM, vdgg said:

Cool to see these, but using PrBoom+ for Caverns of Darkness seems really odd to me: you miss special monsters, such as BFG shooting cyberdemon in MAP08. There was https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/49598-caverns-of-darkness/#comment-871214 this thread ages ago 

9 hours ago, 4shockblast said:

As vdgg indicated, apparently this mapset is for ZDoom+ source ports (and it looks like these maps were done UV-Max in ZDoom by vdgg on DSDA).

I never knew about its compatibility or existence at dsda although i searched archives,you can ignore those....

but this thread  brought a long-buried suggestion out of me that there should be a link between dsda and idgames...means every wad page should have a link of its dsda demos(if there is any demo)..this would also serve better insight along only written reviews....consider this suggestion for here 4shock.

I really enjoyed the PrBoom+ runs for Caverns of Darkness, outstanding maps.  Good Runs.  just don't load the zdoom pwad.

The wad's text file shows:  "Sourceport        : COD Engine (based off BOOM/MBF)"

On 4/4/2017 at 1:52 AM, Grazza said:

6city2t.wad

Interesting, this appears to be an alternate version of a map I ran: http://doomedsda.us/wad2157.html. This one is available on idgames, though: https://legacy.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/0-9/8city2. Levels are different enough anyway that demos for each would count separately (plus I didn't do NM-Speed).

Points should be updated now, although I'm too lazy to watch all of ToD's ZDoom and ZDaemon demos, so I just assume they are valid (I gave runs with deaths 1 point each).

Here's a few demos for a cool wad:

BAD_ART.WAD map 01 UV-Max in 5:57.

Map 02 UV-Max in 5:44.

Map 02 UV pacifist/speed in 1:18.

shock_bad_art.zip

4shockblast said: Points should be updated now, although I'm too lazy to watch all of ToD's ZDoom and ZDaemon demos, so I just assume they are valid (I gave runs with deaths 1 point each).

Those wads are coop wads that are designed for dying/respawning (sometimes dying/respawning is literally required to progress). This is an old debate, but I still feel that the game lets you die and respawn in coop, therefore it should be used as a legitimate strategy. Penalizing dying/respawning in coop is no different than penalizing sr50 or using bfg imo.

1 hour ago, 4shockblast said:

Interesting, this appears to be an alternate version of a map I ran: http://doomedsda.us/wad2157.html. This one is available on idgames, though: https://legacy.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/0-9/8city2.

Ah, that would explain why the older version isn't in the archive. I'm not sure how different the versions are from a Speed/NM viewpoint, since I notice that in the old version, standing on the bed (as in your demo) works just as well as sitting on the toilet. Well, as you say, this map probably doesn't deserve an in-depth investigation.

19 hours ago, TimeOfDeath666 said:

Those wads are coop wads that are designed for dying/respawning (sometimes dying/respawning is literally required to progress). This is an old debate, but I still feel that the game lets you die and respawn in coop, therefore it should be used as a legitimate strategy. Penalizing dying/respawning in coop is no different than penalizing sr50 or using bfg imo.

Well, even though co-op wads are usually designed for dying/respawning to be possible, I don't think that dying/respawning is necessarily required by a co-op wad, so I think whether dying on a co-op map or dying and respawning on a co-op map is OK may depend on the map. That said, I'll recalculate points later anyway since it's mostly just for fun anyway and doesn't matter that much. :)

Yeah I don't mind about the points, but rather the perception of deaths in coop in general :)
(imo no points should be awarded for my dib map30 max because it uses player drops weapon)

In the 00's there was a trend for kamikaze-style coop (also called "mindless" by others) with infinite ammo, unsurvivable fighting scenarios, no health/powerups, and constant dying/respawning. The maps were designed to kill players and also make sure they're always close to the action after respawning. There are also times where you literally have to suicide or get unavoidably killed after pressing a switch or activating something so that you can respawn at the start and continue through the map (even with -nomonsters). Trying to play these maps without deaths is more of an alternate challenge imo, because dying/respawning means you can play more aggressively to get a faster time and also use respawning as a shortcut method to immediately get back to the start area.

1 hour ago, TimeOfDeath666 said:

Yeah I don't mind about the points, but rather the perception of deaths in coop in general :)
(imo no points should be awarded for my dib map30 max because it uses player drops weapon)

I generally agree that the Compet-N perception of death in co-op is outdated, but I still view -solo-net or 1-player co-op with respawns as different than without respawns (it's different, of course, if that's just how a map was designed to play). Regardless, I updated the points and made the dib map30 max a single point since it's still technically beats no demos and is a (perhaps arbitrary) record. :)

Well if it is silly season, then let's fill two more holes in that table:

ThisSUXX! map02 UV Tyson on 3:02

Also UV Lewis (i.e. the most kills you can get using just weapon 1).

ts02t302.zip

2 hours ago, Grazza said:

Also UV Lewis (i.e. the most kills you can get using just weapon 1).

Not heard this one before. Another old term from the DHT era? "Lewis" -- perhaps named after the Dehacked author?