Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quagsire

So what's gonna happen to IDgames?

Is it gonna be deleted, or simply be used as a archive for older files? And will the new page see future tweaks?

Absolutely nothing, as it's not part of Doomworld. Why would you think anything about it would change?

What I'd be interested in seeing from the new frontend is having it be possible to get to the file just from /files/file/id without including the wad title - this way the Ig template and similar at Doom wiki can be simply modified and all links there that point to the old frontend go to the new one instead. If not, that's gotta be several thousand links to fix :D

Linguica may delete the frontend, but you can always access it via an FTP client.

3 hours ago, dew said:

Pls someone take over for now.

invictius has a full backup of idgames. Whether it's up-to-date is not my concern.

Edit: wait a minute, Brutal Doom's not on idgames.

Edited by Voros

2 hours ago, dew said:

Damn I gotta delete some animes to free up more space. Pls someone take over for now.

I downloaded uacmnnew.zip. I heard it won a Cacoward so it must be important.

7 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

who actually maintains the idgames archive?

@Bloodshedder  , @The Green Herring with I believe backup from @Xymph

7 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

who's paying for it?

Interesting question. No idea who actually owns & funds gamers.org. Domain whois is unenlightening. OTOH, it's really none of our business.

i think my argument was, if we know who's paying, then we can offer support if/when they cannot/do not want to fund it any longer.

would be a shame for it to suddenly lapse on its hosting subs and disappear!

The new forum software was purchased months before the forum actually transitioned to the thing. If you're watching the Site/Forum things not working thread, you'll see Linguica has a lot on his plate. I'm sure hes fully aware of the situation and he will get to it when he gets to it.

The eventual plan (if I remember Ling's message correctly) is Doomworld will end up being able to host it's own files as well as display what's on idgames. 

People will still upload things to idgames (it's not going anywhere), but with a proper web-based option through Doomworld I suspect more people will just start using that.

On 28/03/2017 at 1:50 PM, RjY said:

@Bloodshedder  , @The Green Herring with I believe backup from @Xymph

Correct.

On 28/03/2017 at 1:50 PM, RjY said:

Interesting question. No idea who actually owns & funds gamers.org. Domain whois is unenlightening. OTOH, it's really none of our business.

It's no secret and was covered before. The same three founders still own and fund it, and will continue to do so.

PS. Sorry for the necro-post, I don't visit often and just encountered this topic.