Hehe.

Here's one of my favourite heavy hitters of the past few years:

Spoiler

And here's my favourite current song:

Spoiler

:)

2 hours ago, savagegrant said:

If you're wondering how I store them...

I've since run out of space and have to keep the excess in storage containers until I get MOAR of those things^^^ :O

Why not use rotating CD towers instead? Far more space efficient, and easier to see/access as well:

61uk5fJ6ypL._SL1000_.jpg

I started really getting into music in my early teens just as Napster hit, so I never really bought any CDs. I ended up with a giant collection of crappy quality MP3s of dubious legal status.

Eventually when Spotify and the like arrived it was a logical next step (and a good way to move on from my criminal past), so I pay to stream everything now. 

I do also make use of OneDrive's integrated music storage for all the rarer MP3s Spotify doesn't carry. You just stick them in your "Music" folder and the Groove music player will play them anywhere. I'd go with Groove all the time but the selection of songs just isn't as good as Spotify's.

With my ears.

Fo'real though: I have an external hard-drive containing all my music. I usually store everything in MP3, since that's the smallest available size (above 128 kb/s). I also like FLAC, but it takes up a lot of space. I also used to collect CDs, but I stopped doing that around ten years ago or so. Even though I love the look of a cool digipack, the harsh reality of it is that I'll put the CD in my computer, rip everything to MP3 and just let the CD collect dust on my shelf.

These days I wear headphones since my boyfriend likes to listen to his own music and we don't like to bother each-other with it. I'm okay with that, since the PC-speakers I own (Logitech) are kind of shitty anyway.

30 minutes ago, RUSH said:

Why not use rotating CD towers instead? Far more space efficient, and easier to see/access as well:

They are a bit too expensive for the amount of storage they provide. I was able to get those modular storage drawers in sets of three for 35 Aussie dollars each. So 22 sets cost $770 AUD (about $600 USD or 550 Euros) in total and store roughly 7000 of my CDs.

I listen on laptop speakers, ignore album order, collect low bit-rate MP3s and make mixtapes of all my favourite bands. sound quality is maybe tenth place on my list of musical must-haves cos as a composer with weird opinions I'm cursed with musical tunnel vision, hearing notes first and sounds later.

I have crappy 10 dollar earbuds of which I listen to a variety of music over a variety of services.

Depends where I'm at.  In the bedroom I use either a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones or my Rokit 6 monitors.  Elsewhere in my apartment I use a Logitech 5.1 setup I got years ago that still sounds really good.  Or, I'll use a cheap pair of Sony earbuds that happen to sound really good and clear.  In my car I have a nice pair of subwoofers and McIntosh speakers/tweeters.

My files are a mixture of mp3, flac, module files, and various video game formats.  I prefer digital files anymore.  But I still have my old CD and vinyl collections, and there are always a few albums I keep on CD that mean a lot to me.

With earbuds, but as quiet as possible anyways, because I'm scared of people listening to my stuff. I'm kind of ashamed of everything I like. And myself. All the time.

7 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

@ShotgunDemolition seemed to indicate that he could not follow the link I posted. Wasn't sure if DW blocks external links...

Sorry, I meant to ask savagegrant for a link to his site. The link you sent me works just fine and thanks to you I will be getting easily into synthwave. I am bored of doing research right now on an unknown to me genre, so I will find some playlists instead.

4 minutes ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

Sorry, I meant to ask savagegrant for a link to his site. The link you sent me works just fine and thanks to you I will be getting easily into synthwave. I am bored of doing research right now on an unknown to me genre, so I will find some playlists instead.

Oh. My bad...

7 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I listen to things like this:

Reveal hidden contents

A real heavy hitter ^_^

With Sennheiser HD 4.40 BTs.

Why? Because using a speaker setup with proper bass will get me out of my appartment quicker than a desert melts ice. Give it a try, and turn it up, if you dare. ;-)

I will chicken out of this one, because I am more of a guitar guy, although bass is always appreciated. It makes songs of all genres "alive", when included. Also, that song could be put in the "Weird" category for me (haven't heard anything like it before), but it is nice and a great "Voyage" :) .

5 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

With my ears.

Good one!  :D. And I don't even have a shelf, so I stack my CDs one on top of another ( which is probably bad for them). 

39 minutes ago, NEANDERTHAL said:

With earbuds, but as quiet as possible anyways, because I'm scared of people listening to my stuff. I'm kind of ashamed of everything I like. And myself. All the time.

I get that feeling all the time with my music or when watching Classic Doctor Who, while my sister is on the same room. Thank God my new headphones are silent from the outside.

Also, you reminded me of the time I was watching Power Rangers (loved them) and my parents were  nearby. Unforgettable experiences right here!!!

36 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Oh. My bad...

It's not your fault. :) I should have been a bit more clear about it with quoting. You see, I have learned English as a secondary language and sometimes I still use words not suitable enough for the task, so what I want to say might not always translate very well. 

Speaking of CDs, what's the best place to buy CDs from any band? My first guess is Amazon, since where I live you can't find a good CD to save your life except for some gems at Walmart's CD section. I got Boston Greatest Hits and Megadeth Dystopia there, but they don't have any Dream Theater or Opeth which I what I want. Gotta have me some high quality WAV Dream Theater action!

5 hours ago, Nevander said:

Speaking of CDs, what's the best place to buy CDs from any band? 

I myself buy CDs from a local store. I live in Greece and it's a miracle I have that store near me. I also would consider buying from EBay (lots of great deals, but you need to be careful, by watching the seller's reputation). Amazon seems good too, but they need Visa, which I don't have.

9 hours ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

Also, that song could be put in the "Weird" category for me (haven't heard anything like it before)

Wait....

Are you saying you never heard drum and bass before? Like, "ever"? O_o

Currently I tend to use AKG K701 with the FiiO E10K DAC/amp, the sound is shockingly crisp for someone who hasn't been much into the audiophile circus before. Though they're pretty much the definition of monitors, so the bass is noticeably weak. If I really want to savour some thumping, I also have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 440 whose sound I like a lot, but oh my god they're not built to last. The plastic bits around the swivel over the ear piece broke twice on me already, so I gave up on using them daily. To BD's credit they made no fuss about the (lifetime) warranty and always repaired them dutifully.

When I'm on the move I use Yuin PK2 earbuds. Their sound is amazing for the most plebeian of headphone castes and even the bass is nice and strong. I'm one of the blessed people whose ears fit almost any buds and I can't stand the feeling of ear canal buds. I also kinda prefer staying alive, so yeah, that external leaking noise disrupting my music experience which is actually an incoming truck? I don't mind it.

11 hours ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

Nice, you will be getting a new visitor tomorrow.

Sweeeeet! Duuuuude! ;D

There's 251 music lists to read and listen to. There will be a quiz afterwards (nar...just kidding! hehe) ;P

1 hour ago, dew said:

Currently I tend to use AKG K701 with the FiiO E10K DAC/amp, the sound is shockingly crisp for someone who hasn't been much into the audiophile circus before. Though they're pretty much the definition of monitors, so the bass is noticeably weak. I

you're definitely losing some bass from the 701s because theyre open backed - try a closed back next time and youll get a bit more of a 'heavy' sound.

5 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Wait....

Are you saying you never heard drum and bass before? Like, "ever"? O_o

Well, I listen to bass and drums as instruments all the time in my music (NWOBHM, thrash, e.t.c.) and I appreciate them, but they tend to have more of a rhythmic role instead of being lead there, because the guitar and the singer play that role. Generally, electronic music tends to be more to the unknown side for me and I really need to open up my horizons. 

What happened and stopped me from further research is that in my country they always listen to dubstep (can be ear rape at times) and some local pop songs that have no meaning and I hate music that is so pointless (at the point of disgust). Their lyrics usually consist of the trio:  

1) I love you,  

2) Don't leave me, or something like Let's f**k  and   

3) You're a bitch for divorcing me (WTF, where is the quality).

As you can see I prefer complex lyrics or no lyrics at all (at that point I demand music to have a good beat, rhythm or whatever you call it) and I cut down my musical preferences to a few options, due to associating many great genres of music with crap.

To sum up, I can see why bass is gaining more importance in today's music and there are always some gems in the electronic genre, which I would like to get into. :)

P.S.: I  also get the feeling that the song above (Voyage-Surgeon) would fit perfectly with Quake 1 (maybe I am a bit weird). Can you recommend some well-known, similar artists, just so I can try playing this music instead of Quake's ambient sounds (or whatever it had as a game)?

Edited by ShotgunDemolition

3 hours ago, savagegrant said:

Sweeeeet! Duuuuude! ;D

There's 251 music lists to read and listen to. There will be a quiz afterwards (nar...just kidding! hehe) ;P

By far I checked the 1993 year on Personal Favourite Singles (because Doom) and I have to say you put many great songs in it (UB40, U2, Metallica, Nirvana). I also loved hearing Popcorn (from an earlier year) and I laughed my ass out when I saw Nirvana's <<Rape me>> and under that the song <<Deep>> (dirty mind here). :)

1 hour ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

P.S.: I  also get the feeling that the song above (Voyage-Surgeon) would fit perfectly with Quake 1 (maybe I am a bit weird).

If you ask me, proper DnB always fits with FPSs or anything that has a certain pace to it.

Can you recommend some well-known, similar artists, just so I can try playing this music instead of Quake's ambient sounds

Perhaps I should create a YouTube playlist for this purpose at some point, so you could have it running in the background, but before we begin, have a listen to these:

So there's your small preemptive list of things I would consider fitting. If you want something more specific, just ask, maybe I can help.

Well, I listen to bass and drums as instruments all the time in my music (NWOBHM, thrash, e.t.c.) and I appreciate them, but they tend to have more of a rhythmic role instead of being lead there, because the guitar and the singer play that role. Generally, electronic music tends to be more to the unknown side for me and I really need to open up my horizons. 

What happened and stopped me from further research is that in my country they always listen to dubstep (can be ear rape at times) and some local pop songs that have no meaning and I hate music that is so pointless (at the point of disgust). Their lyrics usually consist of the trio:  

1) I love you,  

2) Don't leave me, or something like Let's f**k  and   

3) You're a b*tch for divorcing me (WTF, where is the quality).

As you can see I prefer complex lyrics or no lyrics at all (at that point I demand music to have a good beat, rhythm or whatever you call it) and I cut down my musical preferences to a few options, due to associating many great genres of music with crap.

To sum up, I can see why bass is gaining more importance in today's music and there are always some gems in the electronic genre, which I would like to get into. :)

P.S.: I  also get the feeling that the song above (Voyage-Surgeon) would fit perfectly with Quake 1 (maybe I am a bit weird). Can you recommend some well-known, similar artists, just so I can try playing this music instead of Quake's ambient sounds (or whatever it had as a game)?

I agree -- pop music is just garbage, plain and simple. I was not exposed to many genres of music growing up -- mostly just classical and gospel. I'm just now trying to branch out and try some new things, but my roots are closely tied to acoustic music, so anything that sounds too digital/electronic doesn't appeal to me. Rap is just a -- well, I don't think it counts as music. Music has notes in it... I used to dislike metal more than I do now, thanks to Doom and Quake. Still not my favorite, but some of the "lighter" stuff is growing on me. I'm also a sucker for anything played on a piano.

My favorite type of music is something I call "happy blues." Usually when I tell someone I like R&B, they get the idea of mopey "my baby left me" songs. However, there's a whole world of bouncy, happy, funky, groovy, boogie-down songs out there, which I never get tired of. :-) Must come from my gospel days...

Other than that, I like some classical and classical crossover, R&R from the 50's to the 70's, and some folk music.

2 hours ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

By far I checked the 1993 year on Personal Favourite Singles (because Doom) and I have to say you put many great songs in it (UB40, U2, Metallica, Nirvana). I also loved hearing Popcorn (from an earlier year) and I laughed my ass out when I saw Nirvana's <<Rape me>> and under that the song <<Deep>> (dirty mind here). :)

Haha. I can't believe that one slipped past my radar and I pride myself in my dirty mind (I grew up with Dad always singing his own dirty lyrics over the top of songs that would play on the radio - so that's how I think I got my dirty mind. lol) Hey, maybe you'll discover a cool Aussie song in there that you've never heard before - all Aussie artists are in purple text. ;)

5 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

So there's your small preemptive list of things I would consider fitting. If you want something more specific, just ask, maybe I can help.

Ok thanks. I am sure it will help listening to these for a start and see if I like them. Again, I have very specific tastes at the moment, so I may not like them that much, but you never know. Maybe they will grow on me as time passes by. And should that happen, be sure, I will ask you for more. :)

4 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

mostly just classical and gospel

I have a friend who really likes classical music. He listens to every genre though, most of the time. I myself find classical music to be the father of rock and metal, so I not only appreciate it, but I respect it. It is music at its purest form. Gospel on the other hand I don't know. I only listen to Byzantine music if I am at the church (in my country we are mostly Orthodox Christians or atheists with minorities of Catholic Christians, Protestants and some crazy people that still believe in the Greek pantheon with gods like Zeus, Poseidon, e.t.c.), yet what I always liked about the idea of gospel is the church organ. It has some really rich sounds and followed by a choir it is very unique.

5 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

My favorite type of music is something I call "happy blues." Usually when I tell someone I like R&B, they get the idea of mopey "my baby left me" songs. However, there's a whole world of bouncy, happy, funky, groovy, boogie-down songs out there, which I never get tired of. :-) Must come from my gospel days...

Other than that, I like some classical and classical crossover, R&R from the 50's to the 70's, and some folk music.

You may not have started with a lot of genres, but I think you branched out pretty well afterwards with some excellent choices. Also, a world without stereotypes would be great (a utopia though). :)

4 hours ago, savagegrant said:

Hey, maybe you'll discover a cool Aussie song in there that you've never heard before - all Aussie artists are in purple text. ;)

Does Aussie mean Australian? If so, I will search for the purple.