• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Popular vs obscure stuff on avatars

6 hours ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

This is all a dream, Jacob.

aw, heck ye! :D

then again, you are called "horrormovieguy", so that's kind of expected of you :p

I use what I want to look at when I see my own posts. DW always had such tiny limits it was nigh impossible to use a good custom one for me

These days I tend to use anime girls, notably kitsunes, because I like cute girls. As an added bonus, on places like Doomworld it makes the macho manly types nervous. I still remember the earlier anime freakout on DW, where Essel and so on made several such types uncomfortable

On 30/03/2017 at 4:12 AM, Jaxxoon R said:

I'm a simple guy. I like purple, it's gotta have purple. Probably going to swap out the subject every couple of months, though I never realized until now how few purple characters there actually are.

I still do strongly associate this texture/image with Memfis. It's just one of those mental shortcuts that are hard to unlearn.

I preferred his white liquid flat avatar

Edited by Devalaous

I'm just picky with Avatars, and sometimes changing feels fresh. At the same time, I've also made mental shortcuts to ID people by their avatars rather than name, which may half the reason I reverted back to this one I have now that I also used to have before changing it at some point. 

On 3/29/2017 at 6:32 AM, Nine Inch Heels said:

I would argue that avatars are something people should feel comfortable with themselves, above anything else, really.

I can relate to what you're saying though. It's like an avatar can be something that may reflect someone's personality, or at least a part of it. And that's certainly interesting. On the other hand, speaking for myself, I rather tend to attribute what a person says, or how said person "behaves" to what that avatar is about. Like, for me it's sort of the other way around, and whatever picture there is, will slowly get "charged" by whatever impression I have of said person. Does that make any sense?

Your avatar makes me read every post you make in an angsty "I am so misjudged, nobody gets me except my pet cat" kind of tone.  That was not intended to be condescending just in case you took it that way.

I chose my avatar because I'm a huge Pantera fan.

My avatar will be a bit less unusual as a movie is coming (not that Tsutomu Nihei is obscure by any stretch). And I remember snatching it from another forum, so we will pass on originality... maybe I should update it to a better looking Killy.

15 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

Hello I' m quite obscure

Is it Tetzlaff Yachts? I always thought it was some mathematical diagram.

14 minutes ago, Piper Maru said:

I always wondered what is it from?

Band logo:

713ba407d197f10e9fbee9e0e4b0b249.jpg

I am sure my avatar fits me more perfect than any avatar I've ever had.

On 3/29/2017 at 8:53 AM, Dragonfly said:

You could run with Spyro the Dragon next? :)

I'd already planned to do Big the Cat next for a laugh, but Spyro's definitely on the list.

On 29.03.2017 at 1:20 PM, Memfis said:

I guess not all people feel like this? You could say that I'm just sort of obsessed with the idea of being different from everyone else.

Are you seriously caring about something as utterly minor as the disposable small pictures people put up next to their trivial posts in frivolous discussions about an old video game?

Because if so then oh god I've found a fellow soul. (I also have a .doc file where I collect random people's signatures/forum titles.)

Anyway, when it comes to my avatars, sometimes I deliberately choose something obscure just for that hipsterish satisfaction "haha, my avatar is so much more ORIGINAL than everyone else's!" That said, the reason I use my current avatar is because I love the character's smug smile and somewhat identify with it.

14 hours ago, RUSH said:

Band logo

Yes, it's the Blue Oyster Cult logo plus extras. But I modelled the colour scheme and layout after my old avatar pic and I don't have a clue where that came from.

On 31.3.2017 at 4:15 AM, Devalaous said:

These days I tend to use anime girls, notably kitsunes, because I like cute girls. As an added bonus, on places like Doomworld it makes the macho manly types nervous. I still remember the earlier anime freakout on DW, where Essel and so on made several such types uncomfortable

People are uncomfortable because nowadays anime avatars are a sure-fire way to identify members of the alt-right. I'm literally shaking. /s

I always wanted a unique Avatar that represents something I love but also reflective of me in some form (other than what I like) but so far it has been a Xenomorph and Ed209, which are awesome of course.

But I struggle to think of something different.