Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Popular vs obscure stuff on avatars

Only old and hardcore doom fans know what on my avatar and where it came from.

Spoiler

P.S. Damn this search by image from Google :)

A tiger I just drew

*traced

I do agree it's overkill when someone is a fan of thing on the forums of thing and uses the name ThingDude78 and makes their avatar the thing

I think an avatar can be whatever anyone wants them to be, but distinct ones definitely help identify regular users quickly. It's also why changing them regularly can throw people I think.

It's kinda hard to pick a suitable avatar that's reasonably unique, especially when it's so easy to just grab a screenshot of a game character or some anime off the net. Additionally, I find that there's difficulty in trying to choose an avatar that's a bit more than just "I picked it because it looks cool."

I dunno, I just use stuff I like as avatars. Don't really care about the popularity aspect ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know how obscure my avatar is but I don't really care.

It is fairly distinct I think

11 hours ago, Memfis said:

I guess not all people feel like this? You could say that I'm just sort of obsessed with the idea of being different from everyone else.

"DOGGY♥MAGGY♥ [DL版].zip"

"Semen is actually not that bad"

I'm not sure you need a unique avatar to be different..............

avatars can definitely help identify a user at first glance. however, when you've been around a place for a lengthy enough amount of time, i feel that their username eventually sticks in your mind, alongside their posting style. a combination of both (a well-identifiable avatar and a distinct writing style) helps making you get lost in the crowd. or you could just make maps and stuff, and not sit around on your ass not contributing anything like me. :P

i'm trying to keep a common thread with my avatar changes by having it be a different iteration of my character. it makes sense for me posing as such, and i'm hoping it makes me more identifiable at glance.  

14 minutes ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

i'm trying to keep a common thread with my avatar changes by having it be a different iteration of my character.

Something I want to adopt eventually, it's just that the art I do have of my author avatar isn't very ... avatarable.

Some things I find hard to judge whether it is obscure or not. My avatar for example, it's from Splatterhouse. It's certainly not an obscure series, but it's not really a popular, successful one either. It just kind of sits in that awkward middle ground between "popular" and "not popular".

39 minutes ago, Arctangent said:

Something I want to adopt eventually, it's just that the art I do have of my author avatar isn't very ... avatarable.

just crop the face or sthg, that's what i do. :P

I tend to identify people by their avatars, yeah. Specially when skimming a thread, unless the name is also easy to identify just by the shape of the word.

I doubt anyone knows where mine is from. Really should remake it with better resolution for the new forum, but I forgot how I made it very slightly transparent and I really like that.

Wish I could have my title / rank changed to "Holy Fox", heh.

I wish my title would change too. Some song lyrics maybe.

@Dragonfly, my biggest issue with that is some of his hair is cropped out if I were to remove all the white background, since for some reason part of his hair sticks out on the left side and is a really light shade of gray so that it blends with the white (which means if I try to remove it the hair goes too). I like the details. I'll keep this current one, it's fine.

After all these years I never found out what the hell's the deal about my avatar. I kinda like it anyway and I'm a-keepin' it.

23 minutes ago, Negrostrike said:

After all these years I never found out what the hell's the deal about my avatar. I kinda like it anyway and I'm a-keepin' it.

There was a member called Pickle Hammer. That's probably all there is to it.

The only picklehammer I know of is this. Possibly the same picklehammer.

On the subject of avatars, I just go with what I think would be cool to have. Current avatar is something everyone knows (the source of the image, is another thing). I don't care about popularity, as longs I like it, and that makes it unique.

:)

To be honest I just pick the "badass" characters from games I enjoy like the NCR Rager Vets from Fallout or the shocktrooper from Half-life OF.

Big burly manly men things.

2 hours ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

just crop the face or sthg, that's what i do. :P

Yeah I know, it's just that the one piece I can do that to is more a reference pic and her face in it is painfully neutral for something like an avatar.

tbh i dunno if the source of my avatar is considered obscure or well-known, don't really hear much talk about it tho emot-iiam.gif

My avatar's pretty obscure considering the fact that no one gives a damn about Spawn nowadays...remember when Spawn was hot shit back in the 90's?

Then, McFarlane releases a shitty Spawn articulated statue after a few years that made him irrelevant in the toy industry in the first place. 

31 minutes ago, roadworx said:

tbh i dunno if the source of my avatar is considered obscure or well-known, don't really hear much talk about it tho emot-iiam.gif

This is all a dream, Jacob.

17 hours ago, Memfis said:

Annoying animated avatar = AdBlocked!

But yeah, it was ok otherwise I think.

Pfft, I bet you have mine blocked too.

10 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Why would anyone want to block a parrot?

Because it vibrates intensely. Blocking yourself from birds vibrating intensely is a good thing.