Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BigDickBzzrak

Risen3D mapping -- is it hard?

So I've been thinking of making a map for a port that isn't used much, because ZDoom Is For SissiesTM. One that attracted my attention is R3D. I found a few basic tutorials on the official site, but... it seems really, really convoluted. The implementation of 3D floors is the creepiest one I could imagine (the height and thickness appear to be specified in an upper goddamn texture of a sidedef, who thought of that?), there's some scripting but looking at an example is like reading Chinese to me, the editing features seems to rely on map Things a lot... confusing, very confusing.

For the four people here who have ever made a R3D map, is it hard? Worth bothering?

Help meeeeeee please.

P.S. Is there a way to disable filtering/blurring when in "Basic Doom Mode"? It looks disgusting and repulsive to me, I want pixels.

Mapping for R3D is certainly a learning curve. I suggest examining any of the R3D maps on the homepage via an editor to see how it is done. Experiment. To answer the last question ... no.

On 29/03/2017 at 7:29 PM, bzzrak said:

the height and thickness appear to be specified in an upper goddamn texture of a sidedef

This kinda reminds me of Doom Legacy mapping, the colormaps and few other properties have to be set on front upper texture of control sidedef.

7 hours ago, dmg_64 said:

This kinda reminds me of Doom Legacy mapping, the colormaps and few other properties have to be set on front upper texture of control sidedef.

Isn't that something that came from Boom?

Is there any feature that R3D offers that (G)ZDoom and other ports don't? I don't see any logical reason to embrace a more convoluted learning process to make a map for a smaller player base. I also agree with "Do what you most enjoy", so if this is what you enjoy most, disregard me and go for it! :)

21 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Is there any feature that R3D offers that (G)ZDoom and other ports don't?

It's not for sissies, duh. :]

Actually, I want to make DMP2017 a little bit more varied, so that not everything can be played in *ZDoom. Basically I want to troll *ZDoom fans, but the map will be a legit awesome one.

So I've figured out that I'll have to roll up my sleeves and Learn To MapTM. I can do that. Thanks everyone!

Hiya!

As someone who has tried (and failed) to really grasp R3D's mapping rules I can say...yes. Mapping for R3D is..."difficult". I would have been more motivated if R3D also supported Hexen and Heretic, like it's father (the Doomsday Engine), because then I could translate what I learn into Hexen/Heretic when I feel more in a fantasy mood.

Good luck no matter how you slice it!

PS: One thing I started to do when learning was write myself a document of my own "standardization assets". Light names with info (colour values, brightness, type, etc) in particular, but for other things I would likely use in multiple maps. Then I could just use it as a resource pack to add into GZDoombuilder when I wanted to start a new map. That way I would always know that "Thing #15524" is a "Static Blue-Green Light, Radius 64", and that "Thing #15525" is "Flicker Blue-Green Light, Radius 24 - 72, Random 48" because they would be listed in my document.

^_^

Paul L. Ming