Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

Vanilla compatible ports that don't chunk on my laptop

I use prboom-plus for my vanilla demo recording, but it looks like I'm terrible at DOOM when I do because it starts dropping frames pretty quick. ZDoom is smooth as butter but obviously can't be used for demo recording. Are there any ports I can use to record demos that runs as smooth as ZDoom?

Yeah. Chocolate Doom.

ZDoom stopped updating at 2.8.1, so you know have a definitive version for ZDoom demo stuff. 

Maybe the problem is that pure vanilla demo recording requires decreased turning precision? It can feel like a subtle lag, I suppose.

6 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

Maybe the problem is that pure vanilla demo recording requires decreased turning precision? It can feel like a subtle lag, I suppose.

The thing chunks even when I'm not recording though.

Setting videomode to "directx" in the config helped a little when I had small performance problems. Though I'm not sure it's not in my head. Maybe "opengl" can be good too, but I didn't feel the difference (it won't change anything about the rendering, just the output method).

It would be nice if you could find a solution to this, cause unless the map you're playing is very huge, or monster heavy, most all ports should be fairly smooth on a semi-modern laptop with laptop resolutions. In other words, something's wrong somewhere. Video drivers, videomode like Da Werecat said, sound setup, control setup. PrBoom-Plus is, after all, big on performance. If you figure it out, please post your findings, as I am interested in which setting/driver might cause this.

thats very odd NT; ZDoom should offer slightly worse performance than prboom+, all things being equal, as ZDoom is a more 'complex' port.

as someone else has said, something is going wrong here...

On 31.03.2017 at 0:32 AM, bzzrak said:

Crispy? It's cool, try it. Like PrBoom+, but with decent netcode and a load of badass features.

This can be misleading, unless viewed strictly in the context of playing vanilla maps. In other words, Crispy Doom is not a Boom-compatible engine.

On 31/03/2017 at 3:10 AM, Death Egg said:

I think Eternity can do it too iirc.

Yes it can, but -vanilla has a few caveats (e.g. not being preserved if you idclev or on saves). I would personally go with PrBoom+ (or GLBoom+, whichever is faster) or Crispy if I wanted to go for sheer performance whilst staying vanilla compatible. Both are great ports with superb performance, PrBoom+ being a Boom-compatible port with some extra stuff thrown in like some MBF features, and Crispy being a limit-removing port (though I'm not too familiar with what extra it brings to the table, as I haven't used it much).

I have experimented on an old box with minimal specs. Locally compiled Odamex was actually the smoothest at maintaining 35 fps. Tried Chocolate, Eternity and prboom-plus. Probably something to do with the libs. Odamex also supports playing vanilla demos.