Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Megalyth

A little late, but here it is.

So here's a map I made a few years ago and haven't really showed anybody because it's supposed to be part of an episode that I'm working on. Because I have two somewhat large sandboxy city maps in this project, I'm sharing one of them because what the hell, I'm 35 today and I'm in a good mood.

I think I caught all the bugs and hopefully nothing major breaks. Naturally, please alert me to anything wrong with the map, and feedback is much appreciated. I've tested in Chocolate Doom and GzDoom with no apparent issues. The map runs on Doom2 map01 and uses a custom track, Dreadful Descent by @Jimmy.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5d52igiyy2kkjw9/megalyth-town-wip.wad

Enjoy!

City maps are my jam, and I reckon this one delivers. Very good length (medium-long but does not overstay its welcome), enjoyed the outside visuals, difficulty was quite tense for me but very doable even with mistakes.

Nitpick time:

• SSG is quite heavily guarded, but BFG is given almost for free? (I'm not saying I want an ambush at BFG tho)
  • no secrets in a sandbox map is a huge missed opportunity
  • I was left wishing I could explore up to the various imp cages, imagine like a berserk secret that teleports you around to all of the cages for fisty revenge
  • e1 textured rooms felt out of place, mainly just the sladwall/bramble area IMO
  • the outdoors I felt could use some light repopulation eventually, I'm thinking flying enemies
  • switches that reveal switches - maybe just once or twice? It seemed like almost every one haha

GZdoom Demo

This was really fun to play through! Nice, tense, combat and some cool exploration. I didn't finish as I died to a rev, but it was great fun playing it! Happy birthday, hope you have as much of a good time as I did playing this! :D

22 hours ago, Vorpal said:
  • SSG is quite heavily guarded, but BFG is given almost for free? (I'm not saying I want an ambush at BFG tho)
  • no secrets in a sandbox map is a huge missed opportunity
  • I was left wishing I could explore up to the various imp cages, imagine like a berserk secret that teleports you around to all of the cages for fisty revenge
  • e1 textured rooms felt out of place, mainly just the sladwall/bramble area IMO
  • the outdoors I felt could use some light repopulation eventually, I'm thinking flying enemies
  • switches that reveal switches - maybe just once or twice? It seemed like almost every one haha

Thanks for the video and feedback. Progress didn't seem to be too much of a problem, which is what I was aiming for, an open map that's easy to navigate and with objectives that aren't too hard to find.

Most of your above points can be attributed to the fact that this is still a bit work-in-progress, despite being a complete map. I intend it to sit in the map04/05 slot of the episode, so weapon availability isn't set in stone. The BFG building was originally a secret but access to it was pretty obscure, so I changed it for the time being, this being a quick release and all. I definitely want to add other secrets and ways to open the map a bit more.

Maybe the switch stuff is a bit heavy, I've been using revealed switches to aid in back-tracking and to provide additional pathways to the player, also keeping in mind deathmatch on the off chance that people actually play the map that way. This map in particular is probably a bit heavy with the switch puzzles. I've been trying to step way out of my comfort zone with my maps in the past few years, using things like rising staircases and nonsensical architecture. This was my first ever completed non-linear map, and much of it was very experimental in nature. My latest works (that will hopefully see the light of day in this decade) keep things a lot simpler while still having a more dynamic environment. That said, I understand what you mean, and I'll work on making it more interesting.

I hate to make excuses, but this release was on a whim and rushed when I knew it still needed work. Thanks for taking the time to play, record, and outline critiques. I do appreciate it. Hopefully everyone enjoyed it despite its incomplete nature. :)

@bioshockfan90 Your demo wouldn't load, probably because of differing versions. Which version of GzDoom are you running?

Edited by Megalyth : Reason for edit