Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bushpig2dope

First serious map = Feedback needed!

Hey all

I've been creating my first serious map on and off for a while now and I've finished the first section. The map is based in the UAC labs on mars, just a typical DOOM setting really. It mostly used Doom 1 features (No super shotgun or doom 2 enemies) but I may add them in the second section. 
I'm posting here for some feedback, it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8zwmg0e3lyej8pm/Bushpig2dope.wad
Use this if mediafire doesn't work - https://ufile.io/9897c

DISCLAIMER - I'm never finished working on this, I constantly balance things, fix/change textures and move things all the time so I'm sorry if something is out of place/funky looking.

- Bushpig2dope

Screenshot_Doom_20170401_122907.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170401_122915.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170401_122936.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170401_122956.png

Edited by Bushpig2dope : Forgot disclaimer. New link again. Added screenshots

is that link supposed to be anything because it just comes up as a wall of characters and i think i broke the internet aw jeez ;~;

I think I broke it. I fell off ledge and went back though maze  and ended up stuck in the room with conveyor belt and two fake doors.  Used noclip to get out and got lost ended up in arena and turned off noclip and tried to use the teleporter and i didn't work so I quit.  The  architecture looked interesting just wish I hadn't broke it. 

8 hours ago, riderr3 said:

Why no uploading to mediafire. Many are using this.

Because I'm a scrub. The links not sus I assure you

6 hours ago, Ed_Deth said:

I think I broke it. I fell off ledge and went back though maze  and ended up stuck in the room with conveyor belt and two fake doors.  Used noclip to get out and got lost ended up in arena and turned off noclip and tried to use the teleporter and i didn't work so I quit.  The  architecture looked interesting just wish I hadn't broke it. 

I didn't really think of players going back through the sewers, I'll have to correct that. You were meant to go to that main desk with the 2 switches and flick one.

On 3/31/2017 at 7:27 PM, Bushpig2dope said:

I didn't really think of players going back through the sewers, I'll have to correct that. You were meant to go to that main desk with the 2 switches and flick one.

The player will always go anywhere they can.

Looked pretty good, though as well as the problem mentioned above, after the "the gates of hell are open" message, I went through the portal and ended up in a tiny square room with no way out? Armour was scarce early on, and having to kill a large amount of enemies with no SSG was very tedious, so I would strongly recommend putting one in as a non secret earlier on. If you find secrets, you get a RL/PG, but if you don't then you don't get access to decent firepower until a very long way into the level.

1 hour ago, Degree23 said:

Looked pretty good, though as well as the problem mentioned above, after the "the gates of hell are open" message, I went through the portal and ended up in a tiny square room with no way out? Armour was scarce early on, and having to kill a large amount of enemies with no SSG was very tedious, so I would strongly recommend putting one in as a non secret earlier on. If you find secrets, you get a RL/PG, but if you don't then you don't get access to decent firepower until a very long way into the level.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try and address those firepower issues. Also the gates of hell opening is actually there further-est I've made up to. I'm working hard to complete it. Thanks again :)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/133877818 (first map covered in this playtesting session)

A mapper with some potential! I liked the detailing present throughout the wad (bar a few empty looking outside areas which I assume are due to this being a WIP), and gameplay was generally good, even with no SSG abound. (only slightly cryptic at one point; having to hit the wailing soul wall to advance through the FIREBLU gate) I also liked how the transitions occurred; nice theming.

That being said, PLEASE mix up that double Baron fight in the second transition room; fighting two Barons with only a chaingun/shotgun and nothing else around is extremely tedious.

https://clips.twitch.tv/PlausibleExcitedTurnip4Head (thanks Pinchy for clipping this) = also forgot to mention, this room can be re-entered after the transition takes place and a player can get stuck. You might want to block this area off to prevent this happening.

I look forward to seeing the finished version of this map.

Edited by Suitepee

On 4/7/2017 at 7:27 AM, Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/133877818 (first map covered in this playtesting session)

A mapper with some potential! I liked the detailing present throughout the wad (bar a few empty looking outside areas which I assume are due to this being a WIP), and gameplay was generally good, even with no SSG abound. (only slightly cryptic at one point; having to hit the wailing soul wall to advance through the FIREBLU gate) I also liked how the transitions occurred; nice theming.

That being said, PLEASE mix up that double Baron fight in the second transition room; fighting two Barons with only a chaingun/shotgun and nothing else around is extremely tedious.

https://clips.twitch.tv/PlausibleExcitedTurnip4Head (thanks Pinchy for clipping this) = also forgot to mention, this room can be re-entered after the transition takes place and a player can get stuck. You might want to block this area off to prevent this happening.

I look forward to seeing the finished version of this map.

Hey Suitepee, thanks a million for playing and recording this for me! Also apologies for the late reply.

I see what you mean about the Baron fight, I'll try mix that up a bit.
With the wailing soul wall, youre probably right. I'll try make it more obvious.
As you stated in the VOD, yeah the gimmick of the map is those little arenas, I feel like I needed something to separate that map from the thousands upon thousands of UAC lab maps. Also yeah, outdoor areas are a work in progress. That giant outdoor near the blue skull key actually contains a secret boss fight, maybe I need to make that more obvious too.

Thanks for the tips!

PS I've fixed that backtracking issue