Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ermin

Solace Dreams - (Version 1.6.4) SOME progress.

This looks pretty amazing... I've been trying to get started, but I keep getting 'missing texture "brdr_b" when I try to run it under Wine. I get several more when I try to run it under Linux native. I'll keep fooling with it, but I figured I'd post this for later editing/advisement.

I played through the mod yesterday highlighting a few bugs and gameplay tweaks that could / should be made. I also fixed the BRDR_B bug for Ermin. If you wait, Ermin will at some point release a patched version, whenever they're ready. :)

The zip file worked much better. Been playing through, interesting idead, though for some reason I'm either missing key pickups or a scripting issue isn't making them spawn in.

On an unrelated note, the bosses in this mod are really hard. At least compared to what I'm used to seeing in Doom mods, I suppose.

1 minute ago, Traysandor said:

though for some reason I'm either missing key pickups or a scripting issue isn't making them spawn in.

at what part did this occur(level/item)? what did you do? when did it happen? what did it effect?
just so i can fix things up. at the moment it is most definitely more bugged than i wished

So far I've been through the first couple maps - the dungeon, the theme park, and the nightclub. The dungeon I found the key but none of the doors I checked would open. Theme park, I did the bumper cars once, the shooting minigame twice, then bumper cars again but softlocked after that. In the nightclub, I shot my way through the place but didn't see a key anywhere (Even after enabling idbeholdl and looking around with max lighting)

(So far I'm just using the console to noclip around broken obstacles. Also, I ran out of ammo in the nightclub level and had to cheat up more or face an endless loop of death trying to melee hitscan enemies)

VERSION 1.1 RELEASED!!!

I bring you the latest updated version of the mod solace dreams, with major bug fixes, new content and much more. A very special thanks goes to Dragonfly for his live twitch game play of the mod and for general bug reports. His speed run of the mod (v1.0) can be found here. In light of the new update i have extended the speedrun contest to the 2nd/September. Winner with the quickest time will earn a prize.
Here is a list of changes in this version.

DOWNLOAD
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yer8uatqijsrgxd/Solace Dreams v1.1.7z?dl=0

MAJOR BUG FIXES

• Rachel stage can now repeatedly be exited. (Underworld)
  • Dylan stage can now repeatedly be exited. (The pit)
  • Lawrence stage can now repeatedly be exited. (Pearly Gates)
  • Can no longer go out of bounds in Ali stage. (Darkest Dungeon)
  • You can no longer become invincible when swapping out the pistol during the last 4 stages.
  • Weapons will not permanently be removed when spamming weapon swap.
  • You can no longer get stuck during lauras  boss fight.

MINOR BUG FIXES

• Batch file has been updated, you can now run the mod from any location using 1 of the 2 launchers i provided (run as admin).
  • Flashlight no longer splashes the water.
  • DK Mistress movement and dialog has been updated. (secret)
  • knife now has a hit sfx against monsters.
  • All acquired level up perks have been removed in newgame plus.
  • You can no longer walk around the arena before initiating the boss fight in the caverns. (Prevents accidental death on bossintro)
  • Chess pieces have all been updated. (no longer floating upwards)
    King has been nerfed greatly, lower health and projectile timer. (Chessboard)
  • Items have been added to a few stages. 
  • Rachel fireball has a 1 second delay before launching. (underworld)
  • The knife altfire now does double of its standard damage.
  • Some bosses have had a health increase to compliment the new weapon.
  • Border textures have been fixed. No more texture errors. (Thanks dragonfly)
  • Pause screen added.
  • Controls menu fixed, removed useless controls and renamed some existing
  • Lawrence can no longer kill you on death.
  • The caverns maze has been greatly reduced in size. Along with egg sacks.
  • Added barriers to inaccessible areas in the matrix stage.

NEW CONTENT

• New Weapon : Lightning Rifle. + Added player animation.
    22.png.986960a53f7c2f60e39213e701b18d9e.png

I like to thank everyone for there support and feedback.
Please post if you have anything else to report. This version may still have unnoticed bugs.

Edited by Ermin

So I got the chance to play through the rest of this mod tonight, and I found it pretty interesting, neat concepts and hard-as-fuck boss fights.

Some thoughts though, in the spoiler section below:

Spoiler

- Inventory systems in Doom engines tend to be awkward when I make use of them in general, but that could just be personal nitpicking. Portable health packs are always nice, but having to fumble around to use one in the heat of battle caused more than a few untimely deaths.

- The guns feel a little underwheling in terms of power. Sure, they will help you against the smaller fry, but don't tend to do much against the main bosses. Even a double barreled shotgun to the face of the bosses did little more then paltry chip damage. Maybe the guns need to be a stronger, or perhaps the bosses themselves can't have such a big health pool. Or if you're going to do that, at least put some spare/respawning ammo laying around the boss arena. Having to resort to melee when you're out of ammo when the boss' health pool is still half full - it gets very tedious and old fast as you slash away endlessly just to take a tiny bit of health off the boss, even if you can still splash in some lightning gun occasionally... If you were smart enough to go do the Matrix level as early as you could. Alternatively, if you want to make the bosses grindy and lengthy as heck, at least let the player use a quicksave (Or script in autosaves at certain boss HP% values). Nothing demoralizes a player more than grinding through a very lengthy boss fight, only to die near the end and have to do the whole boss all over again from scratch.

- The keys, in the maps that make use of them, blend in too well with surrounding textures and terrain in a few spots, making them excessively easy to miss. Making them a little easier to spot would have been nice, as trying to find them against similar textures meant you pretty much had to be standing right next to the key's locatoin and staring it in the face.... and even then you might still miss it.

- Some sort of sprint function (recharging meter or powerup/usable item) could have helped a lot rather than slogging around everywhere at a snail's pace. I get that most of the maps are relatively short once you know what to do, but still...

- Fuck the spider map with a burning passion. Once I saw how big it was with a map cheat I just said fuck that and noclipped it over to the boss room. Nobody likes long, winding, pointless mazes like that. Make it shorter... By a lot. Or at least give some subtle hints on where to go if you're fgonna keep it that large. As it is, players will probably spend more time lost in that map than they do in all the other maps - combined. Also, fuck that boss fight too with a bajillion spiders everywhere mauling you nonstop. Also, is there a quick exit to that map once you've beaten the boss? I just noclipped myself back to the starting point.

- The health to ammo tradeoff I found in the chess room would have been nice, had I not played that map second to last out of the available maps. I wouldn't mind seeing him made available once you've beaten at least one map of the second rotation (School, theme park, nightclub). in the classroom (Like behind the teacher's desk or something), where you can always make the health-for-ammo tradeoff if you have spare medpacks to heal back up... or like to live dangerously.

Edited by Traysandor

I appreciate the time you took to play the game and i thank you.
but to regard some of the issues you have encounter i will adress them in the order you presented them here and for everyone else that also feels this way...

Spoiler
  • the inventory system with all the micro management with items and weapons is completely intentional, it adds another level of difficulty and awareness, it forces the player to stay on guard. i notcied this alot on dragonflys play through that he was not paying attension to his health and letting it drop far below 50%, 80% of the time leading to instadeaths from hardhitting bosses. TIP: Always make sure your at 100% health. Dont get hit. All attacks in this game can be avoided despite minor damage.
  • Yes the guns feel underwhelming against bosses, this is the point. they are bosses. this is not doom.
  • regarding your issues with the keys and hidden items. this is soemthing i also noticed in dragonflys playthrough that he was not using the HINT SYSTEM often as he should have. was you even aware of it? it does make interactive objects shine. use it frequently as you will find ALOT of goodies.
  • again the whole slow movement thing was also intentional, it was to give that "rising balls" feeling when a monster is about to slam down on you and your literally inches away. this feature i took from the silent hill games, strafing infact is alot worser to do than turning around and running which you will see me do alot in my playthrough. again this is another element i added.
  • the spider map can indeed be a pain if you so happen to miss all the hints that are scattered about, these hints point you to the right location. and with the hint key you can also find these quite easily.
  • the dispersing ammo dispenser reaper was again suppose to vanish once the boss to that stage was defeated. it was made clear as the reaper identified himself. for this reason alone this stage would be considered the final stage.

There are a few things you need to understand with this game, yes it is fucking difficult and yes, you will run out of ammo and health if you are not careful leading to a gameover. these "faults" are all intentional which adds to that difficulty. You have to get it in your mind that this is not doom, and just about everything in this game is limited. If you find that you have wasted alot of health at any point,then go back and load. If you feel like you wont have enough ammo to finish a particular boss,go back to the beginning. This game was made to kick your ass and piss you off, this game is not for everyone. In my defence i did say in my first post and in my guide that this is not to be taken lightly, however there is a newgame plus which literally makes playing a second time a breeze.

This game is possible to complete even before v1.1 but you have to be extremely resourceful, it just takes practice and a little geting used to thats all :)
But thankyou so much for bringing up these points. despite your fustrations i hope you had some fun at least.

p.s. ironically enough the spider boss is the easiest in the game lol

Edited by Ermin

1 hour ago, Ermin said:

regarding your issues with the keys and hidden items. this is soemthing i also noticed in dragonflys playthrough that he was not using the HINT SYSTEM often as he should have. was you even aware of it? it does make interactive objects shine. use it frequently as you will find ALOT of goodies.

Could hint mode become a toggle instead of a repeated use? So you press the hint button once and the glittery effect stays on permanently until switched off by pressing the hint button again?

2 hours ago, Ermin said:

p.s. ironically enough the spider boss is the easiest in the game lol

Debatable. The 1st Boss, Ali (the knight) is easiest in my opinion. His attacks are all clearly telegraphed, and he becomes hilariously easy if the DKMistress is healthy enough to tank a hit or two. I'd also say that the mirror ghost boss (I forgot her name) is probably next easiest, she only has one attack and it's avoidable if you cleverly use the mirror-portals. :)

sorry had to remove this post, the new project i mentioned has been changed.

Edited by Ermin : project mentioned on this post has been changed.

Because everything else in this game is so slick, it took me a while to realise why it all looked so funky...

Turns out, the game may cleverly default to 1080p, but at 4:3 aspect ratio, making everything stretched out, warped and otherwise unpleasant to look at. You definitely need to add a few basic video options to the menu. Install-and-go is all well and good, but not quite like this.

I just ran Doom2.wad so I could get to the video settings to fix it, then resumed the game as normal.

Edit: 'vid_aspect 1' in the console works too

Edited by Dominic Tarason

Anyone wona make some money?
im looking to go over Solace Dreams and change most of the copyrighten material in version 1.2 with some extra content.
Music is my primary concern, but i need some monotone portraits made for the bosses aswell.

If your interested inbox me for details.

UPDATE 1.1.5 (General Gameplay improvements)

DOWNLOAD HERE!!!

• Uzi damage increased.
  • You can now manually reload weapons with your assigned key. (warning, will waste ammo in current clip if unused. Intentional.)
  • loading screens have been removed!!!!
  • Killer clowns and butchers have been updated.
  • tweaks to maps, player and other shit.
  • Main post/guide updated.
  • Minor fixes.

UPDATE 1.2 (TBA!)
A complete original score. (Cover/Arranged soundtrack to existing music. To remove any copyright concerns. Still waiting on help for this one.)

Please post bug reports.

Edited by Ermin

Here is the upcoming playlist for solace Dreams 1.2 at the highest exported quality. (unlike the compressed ingame version)
I have only put together a few tracks at the moment, but they are here for your opinions.
Yes they are rip offs of the original tracks i included, however some will be completely original.

Check back regularly for new themes.

UPDATE: these tunes are slightly outdated.

Edited by Ermin

So I'm not the only one who thought the bosses were incredibly hard and not fun to fight, It's the only thing that really made me quit the game.

58 minutes ago, dmg_64 said:

So I'm not the only one who thought the bosses were incredibly hard and not fun to fight, It's the only thing that really made me quit the game.

i agree version 1.0 was extremely hard and unbalaned. but since 1.1 it should now be a breeze seriously, especially with the new weapon that has unlimited ammo.
i dont think icarus got that far as he never mentioned the weapon which fixes alot of ammo and balancing issues the game originally had.
But like he said, its not for everyone.

p.s. if anyone else is finiding this very difficult then consult the walkthrough on the first post. it gives detailed instructions on how to beat all the bosses and find all secrets, i even uploaded (outdated) video walkthroughs of eachlevel.

Edited by Ermin

Playing right now.

It's pretty atmospheric: i like it, and I will update this post when I will complete the mod.

Just some hints:

- Add the video modes menu

- Add the display options menu for gamma and whatnot

I know I can call the console to change those options, but a person who never used gzdoom could have some problems with console :)

now I am going back to the depths of purgatory :)

Edited by LuciferSam86

7 minutes ago, LuciferSam86 said:

Just some hints:

- Add the video modes menu

- Add the display options menu for gamma and whatnot

i will return these options and alot more in the final update 1.2
please post any bugs or questions you have in the mean time. Thanks for playing

I just noticed some FPS drops (from 30 to 15/16) in outside area on the first level.

My GPU is a GT950 with 2 GB GDDR and a i7 @ 3.4 GHz and 32 GB RAM.

UPDATE 1.2.1 + HOTFIX
Here is the final update from me until another bug is found. Here is a list of changes...

DOWNLOAD HERE!!!

• Re-Enabled the Video/Display options in the menu.
  • Added the Dash skill, use the "Clear dialog/Dash key" in combination with your direction keys for a small movement boost. (Thanks dragonfly for script fix)
  • Dylan fart attack disappears on death, no longer hurting the player.
  • 50% of ingame music has been altered.
  • Some boss attacks have been slightly adjusted.
  • resolved issue of invisible gate map3 ali AGAIN!

I may still have missed a bug or 2 so please report any findings or issues.

RESOURCE FILES

Here is a zip containing all loose wad files of this mod, here for anyone to study and or edit. Have fun! (For modders only)
DOWNLOAD RESOURCES!!!

Edited by Ermin : fixes issue with gates

I would love to play this mod. It looks amazing. However, just as the game starts i can't proceed because its pitch black.. i can see hud but nothing else. Are you familiar with this bug?  Hope you'll win cacoward. :)

35 minutes ago, RadioActiver said:

I would love to play this mod. It looks amazing. However, just as the game starts i can't proceed because its pitch black.. i can see hud but nothing else. Are you familiar with this bug?  Hope you'll win cacoward. :)

Hi there you actualy just caught me at a good time. im just about to upload version 1.3 with DLC. please wait until then.
Concerning your "bug", after the cutscene the player starts in a dark room with a small light above a desk just look around until you see it clearly, if your lost still then walk towards the northeast direction when looking at your minimap "tab key".

UPDATE 1.3 + DLC

DOWNLOAD!!!!
Here is the absolute final version of the game. I am 99% certain now that all bugs have been crushed.

If you previously tried the game but found it too difficult, please give it another shot. It has been made really easy now with some new features.
Here is a list of changes...

UPDATES

• Major bug fixes with newgame+ and token handling. (Newgame+ is now truly repeatable.)
  • New dash movement added.
  • Balancing has been adjusted very slightly.
  • Some Monsters & Bosses have been slightly updated.

NEW DLC CONTENT!!! (Battle Royale Mode)

• A new book has been introduced to the game. Battle Royale mode can now be accessed in Newgame+. Here you can face every single boss in order of difficulty from start to end. Your ammo and health will restore after every defeated boss. Be warned, this may be hard for some. If you wish to access the book straight away then simply type "Give Game_completed" in the console.(Doing this without the additional upgrades found in the game will be even harder, but possible) Enjoy!
  • New upgrade available for Uzi. Upon completing the Battle royale mode, you will unlock the final upgrade for the Uzi, having unlimited ammo and no reload. (Silent hill 3 style uzi)

If there is still remaining bugs please post. I will fix them immediately.

A reminder to new comers...
You will need a powerful machine to play this game, sorry :(

Edited by Ermin

UPDATE 1.4

YUNAB_P.png.06287396a8b5b3940eb16debc34daf68.png

DOWNLOAD!!!

Here is another update, adding some minor fixes with a small new realm and a secret boss to fight. Here is a list of changes...

UPDATES

• The new Battle Royale book will now add a new prop signaling the completion of the realm. (A golden trophy)
  • Updated Rory boss battle (Face/Hands can no longer be targeted by allies)
  • Guide updated to including new content.
  • 1.4 resources uploaded for your viewing.

NEW CONTENT

• New sfx Added to items.
  • New Music added
  • New Stage added. (The Void : Here you will face off against your Spirit self.)
    New "secret" Boss added. (Spirit Yuna, can only be accessed on completion of the game. Key to realm can be found on Yuna's Desk)
  • New item added. "Doppelganger" (Available on completion of The Void)

If you have any bugs to report please let me know. Thanks!
I will be holding another speed run contest towards the end of the year, the player to upload the quickest complete playthrough including the new boss (excluding the battle royal book) will earn some prize money (Paypal).

Edited by Ermin

Hi, there... this is Sigfried Maro.  I got your message, and sent you a PM. :)

By the way, this video isn't available for me to watch... it's saying that it contains content from Victor Entertainment, and isn't available in my country...

1 hour ago, DoomKrakken said:

By the way, this video isn't available for me to watch... it's saying that it contains content from Victor Entertainment, and isn't available in my country...

Sorry to hear, its got soemthing to do with the music (ghost in the shell) used in the video, victor entertainment has it blocked in the US, here is a link regarding this issue. sorry about that :(

If anyone would like to be a part of the discussion on solace dreams 2 Development like this post and i will add you to the chat. Here we will discuss ideas, concepts and just about everything to help develop the new installment. Thanks.

Edited by Ermin

"How do you turn a model into a voxel model while keeping the colors of the textures?"

To answer this question you will need access to Ken silvermans poly2vox convertor which il provide, which obviously converts the 3d models to voxels.

(The scale of the model will effect the overall quality of the voxel, keep it small and simple. For larger objects i use multiple voxels together to create a singular object)

Have your texture and .OBJ (& .MTL file i think) together in the same folder as the poly2vox, then simply drag and drop the .obj file right on to the poly2vox, using slab you can then import and view your new voxel making any final adjustments. You might notice in some cases the colors all messed up...

COLOR CORRECTION

Using photoshop cs6 , go to the images tab up top then on to MODE then indexed color, select your desired settings.
(i choose pallete:local peceptual, 256)
When thats done go to images tab again, then mode and onto color table, click save and make sure its selected as the   .PAL format.

Goto slab and import your newly saved pallete.PAL before importing the model, the colors should now match your texture correctly.
This is honestly the only method i found to exporting custom pallets in PAL format. im a noob!

Edited by Ermin

GAL.png.6dafd8408404709760848cfc50cde406.png
UPCOMING UPDATE 1.5

Soon i will be releasing a new update that will feature a gallery/model viewer on completion of the game, here you can view every enemy with there walk animation and some minor details. There will also be 2 jukeboxes here were you can play all theme songs of the game. 
Along with this new update i will also be adding a survival mode, were you will face hordes of random enemies and bosses with continuous regenerating health and ammo.
A friend is also working on remastering all dialog and notes in the game, this may be released in a separate update im not too sure just yet.
Hopefuly these updates should be with you by the end of this month. Thanks for your support & Takecare.