Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Back to Saturn X E3 (Surprise!)

bOrTVWL.jpg

What is the DWmegawad Club?
This is a place where we settle down, have a cup of tea (or drink of your choice) and take a month to play through a megawad on our own, together! Any keen observations, criticisms, or frustrated ranting about it goes here in the discussion. As long as you want to say something about what you've played, feel free to speak your mind.

Can I join?
Sure. The only rule is that you have to play at least some of the levels in our monthly megawad to contribute, but you're generally encouraged to finish the whole thing, even if you've played it before.

What levels am I allowed to post about?
Whatever day of the month it is, is the upper limit for the map you can post on. So if it’s the 6th, you may discuss up to MAP06.

Do I have to post an entry every day?
Nope, not at all. This is only for our more enthusiastic members. As long as you play through it with us you’re part of the club.

When do we vote on the next month’s megawad?
Voting begins on the 25th of the current month. Remember to add one “+++” before your vote to make it easier to count. For example:

+++ Ultimate Doom

----------

>>>DOWNLOAD BACK TO SATURN X E3 BETA HERE<<<

Holy cow it’s finally here! Back to Saturn X Episode 3: Ringworlds of the Orient is the final episode of the resplendent Back to Saturn X saga, featuring an even larger, more ambitious, and more difficult adventure than what’s come before! Prepare yourself for alien settings, devious puzzles, and nasty traps! Reminder: just like with the other wads, you'll need to load btsx_e3a and btsx_e3b simultaneously. And remember that BtSX E3 is still in beta, so please note any bugs or compatibility issues you may experience.

(Sorry to deceive you guys again; we’ll get to Speed of Doom next month, don’t worry!)

Author & Maplist:

MAP01 - “The Rabbit Has Landed” by Tarnsman

MAP02 - “I am Now the Evil” by AD_79

MAP03 - “Curvaceous Volts” by an_mutt

MAP04 - “Best Penmanship to John Fritter” by Alfonzo

MAP05 - “Antimony of Common Flowers” by Breezeep

MAP06 - Episode Hub by lupinx-kassman

MAP07 - “Sead Dimple” by Catoptromancy

MAP08 - “The Instant is Shorter than Planck Time” by Tarnsman

MAP09 - “Sassy Fracas” by Alfonzo

MAP10 - “Thermonuclear Titan Hisoutensoku” by Mechadon

MAP11 - “Time Dilation“ an_mutt

MAP12 - Episode Hub by lupinx-kassman

MAP13 - “Calm it All Come Thursday” lupinx Kassman

MAP14 - “Big Slab of Beef” by esselfortium

MAP15 - “High Speed Miscreants” by Tarnsman

MAP16 - “Swimming Dead Trails” by Alfonzo

MAP17 - “Pepperoni Autodrive” by AD_79

MAP18 - Episode Hub by lupinx kassman

MAP19 - “Here Comes the Ruckus” by an_mutt

MAP20 - “Rock Hard” by Catoptromancy

MAP21 - “Retrospective 53 Minutes” by Alfonzo

MAP22 - “Where the Sun Hits the Heath” by an_mutt

MAP23 - “A Century of Algorithms” by Mechadon

MAP24 - Episode Hub by lupinx-kassman

MAP25 - “Ducksoup” by esselfortium

MAP26 - “Improbable Passage” by Catoptromancy

MAP27 - “Back to Scorched Earth X” by Tarnsman

MAP28 - “Hand Me My Rifle” by an_mutt

MAP29 - “Accident” by Alfonzo

MAP30 - “Great Snake God of the Golden Sun” by dobu gabu maru

MAP31 - “Dr. Latency’s Freak Report” by Catoptromancy

MAP32 - “Time to Duel” by Marcaek.

BONUS CONTENT
TBA
----------
OLD THREADS

The only fool is me... for having submitted so many maps to this terrible project.

5 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:

The only fool is me... for having submitted so many maps to this terrible project.

Pish posh, I thought "Swimming Dead Trails" had one of the coolest uses of damaging floors that I've seen in a long time (can't wait for the club to get to that one). And the scope and scale of "Accident" is unbelievable—this set definitely made me an Alfonzo fan!

"Good for purchasing!

This is GO AGAIN TO SATURN : Please Leave My House!
Engage with Booming Compatibuiltity!
Hope you have enjoy!"

I love this.

For more of the Doom rooms, please proceed to

w w w . D o o m w o r l d . c o m / A l f o n z o n e

wait... what the...

Without a doubt the best BTSX release yet.

Spoiler

fwiw MAP01 is actually really cool and well put together. Quite a few interesting ideas and creative setups. Nice work Tarns/Dobu!

Oops. I totally forgot to make any maps at all for the third episode! My bad, folks -- I'll probably be around in time for the 6.2849th installment.

MAP01 - “The Rabbit Has Landed” by Tarnsman

This is a map that really demonstrates some of the limitations of mapping for vanilla. A lot of the outdoor areas are really bare and consist of monotextured walls due to seg and visplane limits really forcing a spartan design if you wish to have vast lines of sight. Additionally while some of the progression elements are interesting ideas, a lot of them feel half baked and not fully realized. This is definitely not Tarnsman's best effort and I expect that during the countless revisions that any BTSX release goes through this map will be drastically different in the final version.

3.98 out of 8

MAP20 - “Rock Hard” by Catoptromancy

Jumping slightly ahead, but I thought this was a good map. Clever use of monsters in the void so you can't cheese the map by IDCLIPPING outside of it. I did a playthrough. 

Nice work rdwpa! Excellent job on dodging the cyber stuck inside of the torch—he always manages to end most of my runs (because you know, I meticulously tested this map while dew was away). Fun fact: Insane_Gazebo actually helped out with the monster placement! I mean, he didn't do it personally, but somehow a bunch of monsters from Hollow Icon wound up copy & pasted into that big open expanse! Crazy huh?

If you're up to it, I'm actually pretty curious if MAP17 is doable, as that was one of the few I didn't thoroughly test to make sure there's a viable path to the exit.

10 minutes ago, Grain of Salt said:

Why would you hurt me like this

I don't understand—did you not play Ducksoup? Perhaps you need to play Ducksoup.

I'm with rdwpa. I played through this megawad in a fury of joy. I think I got through it in 33 minutes. As dumbfounded as I was by the products of our well-known mappers, I was completely and utterly staggered by the maps of Catoptromancy.

I have never before played a map by Catoptromancy, but I can honestly say I've never seen such an impressive debut. Catoptromancy looms above this megawad like a titan of pure, polished platinum. I have never seen such clever use of stuck monsters or visio-pits. In the hands of lesser mappers these would seem to be mistakes, but Catoptromancy is clearly the Picasso of oddball design. I never imagined that such brilliant concept maps as Improbable Passage and Dr. Latency's Freak Report were even possible, but now I know it's only because I never dared to dream of such genius.

So fellow Doomers, I say to you now, there is no Ribbiks, there is no Mechadon, there is only Catoptromancy!!!!!!

Duck Soup is truly a masterpiece. Innovative gameplay, unconventional useage of textures, a Baron of Hell that looks like it needs a tan. This map has it all.

MAP30 is a masterpiece, never have I played a boss level just so... brilliant. It's really hard to explain why I love it so.

Alright, time get this started. ZDoom, saving/reloading, pistol starts, mouselook.

MAP01: The Rabbit Has Landed

100% kills, 1/1 secret

The first half is fine but a bit too symmetrical for my tastes. Not much memorable here, even the rising stairs. The blue key ambush is absolute shit, and I doubt it was even tested - you can barely make it to the start, and I eventually had to cheat as it was so heavily lucked based based on wherever the monsters go... if they don't take the correct step, you're fucked. Aside from that, the map is bland and not that fun. The exit trap was the easiest part of this map.

1/5