Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Back to Saturn X E3 (Surprise!)

This had some legitimate effort put into it. I half-suspect that some of these maps (or parts of them anyway) will actually be in the real BTSXE3.....

I knew I was right! That Ironman pick for March was to build hype for this most glorious of releases! Such wonderful craftmanship from these Doom veterans!

Unfortunately this ended with an Icon of Sin map (spoilers! And by dobu of all people!), so I have to give BTSXE3 a 1/10. Sorry essel and chums, maybe next time.

It's amazing how something can have that much effort put into it and still be completely uninteresting. I'm not even mad anymore, just impressed by the team's incompetence. What is E4 gonna be like, 32 maps of everyone kissing skillsaw's ass?

who cares I'm still playing it.

MAP01 The Rabbit Has Landed

So did you take this music track from Jade Cocoon or is this something similar?

Fun with rockets, or not. Hi.

MAP02 I Am Now The Evil

Finally, TimeOfDeath became a member of the BTSX team, oh wait, he's not the map author. Who cares, I've been wanting to hear this song again ever since Merkin.

MAP03 Curvaceous Volts

Only Chrono Cross players will understand what this soundtrack is about, I think. This map is just fine.

Also Memfis skillsaw already did his part for BTSX and is out for now I think. I would have done full reviews but nah, I wasn't feeling it all that much. We had a tornado rip through our city last night and I'm gonna do my part in cleaning up the debris. I'm just glad that my area didn't suffer the worst damage.

1 hour ago, rdwpa said:

I love whoever came up with map32

it almost seems that marcaek ripped off TimeOfDeath

Is the palette supposed to be screwed-up like that, with purple stains everywhere?

Also, where's the MAP04 music come from? It's pretty cool.

That hub map is the most jaw dropping and atmospheric map I have played in recent memory. The intermission text is quite poetic too

1 minute ago, Marcaek said:

Dobu left out my custom textures the name is pointless now agh

that's just the patented btsx blandification process at work.

The first map was awesome though, felt like a competent yet btsx-rejected map.

Edited by Sky

3 minutes ago, Sky said:

The first map was awesome though, feels like a competent yet btsx-rejected map.

Surprisingly there's a few maps in there that feel like they could be really good with some polish.

A lot of the levels are from random speedmapping sessions, plus some stuff I dunno why Alfonzo hasn't finished and released!

MAP01 is one of Tarnsman's many scrapped E3 levels. There are a bunch of others and they're pretty cool! This one didn't have any monster placement done, so Dobu set it up to be playable.

MAP14 is an ancient unfinished level from 2009 when I was first starting to make textures for BTSX. My other early demo level from back then ended up getting expanded and completely overhauled into "I'll Replace You With Machines" from E1, with some help from skillsaw, and this one just sat in the scraps pile because there wasn't much to it. UNTIL NOW

12 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

The ending of map14 made me jump out of my seat. :O 

Extra points for that not being the exit trigger like it is in most maps. 

Oh wow, that's perfect. I need to talk with the BTSXco board of directors about giving Dobu a raise.

16 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

Oh wow, that's perfect. I need to talk with the BTSXco board of directors about giving Dobu a raise.

That's what we call a "happy accident"—I meant to notify to the player that the exit was this way, totally didn't realize it could double as a false switch :D

As the sole tester of BtSX E3 (seriously dew, stop playing E1 and help a brother out), I'm going to be streaming E3 from pistol start for the club. Ideally it should all be beatable?: https://www.twitch.tv/dobu_gm

3 hours ago, JudgeDeadd said:

Is the palette supposed to be screwed-up like that, with purple stains everywhere?

I have also been unable to determine the correct loading order to not get palette bugs everywhere. The OP says to load both e3_a and e3_b wads simultaneously. Yet the downloaded zip had neither, just a single wad and a small text file, both with mojibake gibberish filenames.

There appears to be some confusion surrounding the BTSX April Fools joke.

The prank today isn't the release of Bootleg Episode 3 回到土星十.

The actual prank is the expectation that an actual E3 release is ever happening

Having finished the wad, all I can say is WOW! The BtSX team really outdid themselves here. I mean, an_mutt needs to finish his damn maps, but other than that all one can really say is WOW! If I'm being totally honest here, I don't think I could have made a better wad myself.

The BTSX & TNT 2 teams can absolutely attest to my ability to not finish maps, so I hold my hands up in resignation here. Sorry guys, I've let the community down.

@esselfortium Was it that working in vanilla became too much of a grind? Personally, I find working in vanilla sheer torture, and using Choco Doom is pure eye-rape. I don't ever want to do it again.

That said, I realized some time ago that BTSX E1 is, in fact, my favorite megawad, so my thanks to the BTSX team for all they had to go through in order to make it happen.

So when can we start posting about Speed of Doom? I already did an extensive writeup for map01.