Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
axdoomer

Doom95 for DOS

I've been working on this for some time.

I've disassembled Doom 95 and ported it to DOS. Only 320x200 is supported though. It should work as expected, but maybe overflows will give different results. 

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom95

There is no launcher, so use `-iwad` if you want to change the IWAD. 

doom95 for dos.zip

doom95 for dos (alt).zip

Edited by axdoomer

6 minutes ago, LuciferSam86 said:

That's interesting. Question: is it legal share your work? Afaik it was a commercial software...

So is Doom v1.9. We've disassembled that too. Doom95 is too generic and too old to have anything commercially unique we couldn't figure out from empirical testing anyway along with the source code that was already released.

Your question would only really be valid if we were talking about the XBLA port or something a little more recent, and yet we have (most of) the source code for that too. You wouldn't need to disassemble that either.

Doom95 basically just added bugs. The quantity of ugly bugs is the difference between this and the original DOS Doom executable. 

The main differences is the weapon sprite that's badly scaled, the sound pitch is a little different, there are multiple bugs with EP4's intermission screen and the visplanes limit has been doubled. 

10 hours ago, axdoomer said:

I've disassembled Doom 95 and ported it to DOS.

Even though I haven't the slightest use for it, I absolutely love that you've done this.

Anyways, I can't tell if this is an April Fools joke or what. Also where's the source code BRO.

1 hour ago, Linguica said:

Anyways, I can't tell if this is an April Fools joke or what. Also where's the source code BRO.

One of the binaries contains the string "April Fools" so I'd say yes.

Porting Doom95 was already a waste of time. There is nothing more but more bugs. WINDOOM can go fuck itself. I can't believe I wasted so much sleep time doing this. Can WINDOOM even record demos? The differences between WINDOOM and vanilla DOOM are not documented anywhere. 

I don't know what I should do about the source code. There is no license and it contains the work of Microsoft's employee(s). If I remove all of the lines of code that have bugs and replace it with the original code, then I could be sure that Microsoft has no copyright over it (what did they do other that adding bugs?). On the other hand, if I do this, it won't be Doom95 anymore. 

1 hour ago, Graf Zahl said:

One of the binaries contains the string "April Fools" so I'd say yes.

Yes, the "alt" executable is a obvious joke. Sometime ago, I posted a pictures of buggy column rendering in the thread post your Doom picture and people suggested I make an executable available. It's a joke port (instead of a joke wad). I was thinking about it today and figured I'd edit my comment and post it so that curious people would play thinking it's the real alternative Doom95 executable and says "WTF is this???", but no one seems to have noticed.

The quit messages say stupid stuff like "April fools!" and "Windows 10 is a botnet" (the latter is not that stupid, it's true). If you use the French Doom 2 IWAD, it should even say "Poisson d'avril!", but I haven't tested. 

Edited by axdoomer

2 hours ago, axdoomer said:

I don't know what I should do about the source code. There is no license and it contains the work of Microsoft's employee(s).

Isn't it a disassembly? As in, anyone with the executable could get to the point you did?

Also, isn't the shareware executable the same as the registered game? I'm not too sure on this one, but I'm certain that if those two things are true, MS won't have much legal standing against you. 1995 wasn't a time people always added "and you cannot reverse engineer this" to the license.

If anything, releasing the source won't be more risky than releasing that port. :P

But yeah, I can see myself in your shoes if I were to act just a little bittle paranoid.

This was an April fools joke. I made it by looking a the changes on the DoomWiki and made the more obvious ones so people wouldn't notice right away that it was a joke. I made it quickly and this is not a correct emulation. 

Changes include:

-E1M1 displays "Hanger" instead of "Hangar"

-The weapon sprite have that ugly scaling that Doom95 does

-The DOOMLNCH.DLL demo bug that prevents you from recording a demo larger than 14 bytes

-The lower sound pitch

-The doubled visplane limit

-Episode 4's intermission screen bugs. It also shows a par times from Doom 2 I believe.

-The sky changes in Doom II

-Quit messages replace "dos" with "windows". 

Since I made it from a GPLed source port, then I'm making the sources available. It's the latest source code, so it's from "doom95 for dos (alt).zip". If you want to get the source code to the first doom95 binaries that I posted, you must modify the code by yourself qne change the column drawing code where it says &7 to &127 and change the quit messages to what they were initially. Remplace "dos" with "windows". Don't ask me for the source code of "doom95 for dos.zip", I haven't kept a copy, although I should have. 

There were two ways you could confirm this was a joke:

-Enter one of the Doom95 exclusive cheat codes, which are not documented on the DoomWiki. They are fhhall and fhshh if I remember correctly. They would display the message "April fools!".

-Try to record a demo. The executable emulates Doom95's demo bug, but the error message that says the demo was record would display "I_Error: demo <demoname> recorded\nApril fools BTW". 

Doomworld's download feature is broken, so I uploaded the sources to another website and they will be available for 30 days before deletion: https://ufile.io/db5f1. I'm not paranoid, you can sue me if you want. 

Kudos for a fun April Fool's joke :D

Took some effort heh.

10 hours ago, axdoomer said:

This was an April fools joke

Well played, you got me. I did genuinely believe a Doom community member would be obsessive enough to backport Doom95 to DOS.

2 hours ago, RjY said:

Well played, you got me. I did genuinely believe a Doom community member would be obsessive enough to backport Doom95 to DOS.

But Doom 95 is a PE32 executable and uses DirectDraw, how would someone disassemble/hack it into running in DOS? :D

With enough dedication that is certainly doable. Of course it would be a lot of work.

Remember, once you have the code in assembly form you can easily link it with some C libraries.

But this was a GOOD April Fools prank, unlike that Crispy Doom fiasco. It was perfectly harmless, did not break anything and ultimately made for a good laugh - if you actually fell for it, that is... ;)

Nice joke. You got me for a couple of seconds there until I realised what date this thread was posted :)

I've only just saw this so I avoided being a fool :) but this is great. Well done!

Thanks for the compliments. I'll try to do an even harder one to guess if I ever do this again.