Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Battle_Korbi

Gazing upon the possibilty of delayed functions.

I wonder is there any way to have a switch perform its function only after a predetermined amount of time, per instance, to open a door 10 seconds later.

I am trying to design this airlock thing with a door that would in time open only after a second or two after the first one closes.

If that is not possible, is there a way to apply logic gates to switches, like you need two switches to open a door or something.

If even THAT is not possible, then can I design a sequence of doors opening after each other, like the switch activates the first door outside the map, the door opens up, and the opened door activates another door all the way to the door that the player is supposed to pass through?

If even THAAT cannot be done, can I atleast find a subsitute for a airlock? I just cannot see a super important dimensional drifting through the next five consencutive hairpin curves icy coffee alien toasting timey wimey spaceship made out of coolarium and macguffins and big machine chamber have one big door or something, or just two doors that can be open at the same time, while the whole point of the map would be trying to activate the big scary machine, and keycards just don't cut it, when I can use keycards for scavenging machine parts and whatever, and I need a key that a player has to use inside the machine's cockpit or maintenance room. It is really important for my story attempt lore of the map.

Thank you for being able to tolerate my excretions.

First off, airlocks are definitely possible. There's one RTC-3057, and it probably uses scripts or another ZDoom feature to work. I don't know how it's done, but you could check out that wad.

The rest of what you're talking about is possible in Boom compatibility and up using dummy sectors, voodoo dolls, and scrolling floors, which are the main source of all Boom magic. In other words, you have a small sector outside the edge of your map with a player 1 voodoo doll, a linedef (or many linedefs) that does the action you want, a scrolling floor that takes the doll toward the action linedef, and a wall blocking the doll from getting to the linedef. Your switch lowers the wall, and then the voodoo doll triggers whatever action you want. To create a delay, you would just have to have the doll scroll over a larger amount of floor before hitting the trigger line, or have a tall blocking wall that takes a long time to lower before the doll becomes free to move. To require two switches to open one door, you just have two raised walls between the doll and the trigger line, and each switch lowers one of them. 

3 minutes ago, Not Jabba said:

First off, airlocks are definitely possible. There's one RTC-3057, and it probably uses scripts or another ZDoom feature to work. I don't know how it's done, but you could check out that wad.

The rest of what you're talking about is possible in Boom compatibility and up using dummy sectors, voodoo dolls, and scrolling floors, which are the main source of all Boom magic. To create a delay, you would just have to have the doll scroll over a larger amount of floor before hitting the trigger line, or have a tall blocking wall that takes a long time to lower before the doll becomes free to move. To require two switches to open one door, you just have two raised walls between the doll and the trigger line, and each switch lowers one of them. 

A'ight, can the same be applied in (g)zdoom compactibility? Asking 'cuz I prefer doing stuff with gzdoom in mind.

Yes, all of that Boom stuff works in ZDoom ports and map formats. I'm sure you could do it all with ACS or ZScript as well, but I don't know how to use those yet.

A simple delay can be easily achieved with ACS:

script 1(void)

{

delay (10*35); // wait 10 seconds.

Door_Open(10, 32); //open sector with tag 10 and normal speed

}