Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Za Warudo

Doom the way YOU did (for real this time)

You should keep the 32 map format but change the limit of maps per player. DTWID and D2TWID were limitless.

2 hours ago, StraightGib'nEm said:

Been working on this Threshold of Pain map. Still needs some polish though. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

ThresholdOfPain.zip

A couple observations I made:

1. How did you play the starting bit? Because the imps are made trivial if you just peek around the corner and take potshots from the tunnel you start in. Maybe make it so that when you enter the room, the ceiling collapses behind you and you're forced to fight the imp horde?

2. The Hell Knight encounters can just be ran away from. Maybe put a timed door that closes behind you? All of my suggestions are like this.

3. The final wave before exiting doesn't need to be fought, you can just rush to the exit without firing a shot. Maybe make it so the exit is locked behind a timed door as well?

I liked it.

Okay baus, here is the thing.

After I heard that the entire project got translated to Boom, I kinda lost my will to map. Don't worry however, cuz in two days spring break is coming (at least in my country) and I am going to be so bored I would make the map I said I would.

Ok Ok this is the LAST LAST FINAL OF ALL LAST Builds. Why are there two you might ask? Well that's because one of them has different music. You can pick which version you want. *i added a crack in one of the walls that shows a crashed spaceship along with some added gore ;)*

TheEntryway.zip

TheEntryway2.zip

On 06/04/2017 at 1:45 AM, Za Warudo said:

Well this is Boom only now.

Please do switch to the use of any format. Using Zdoom Features would help me a lot in terms of detail. (Not KDIZD Levels tho)

49 minutes ago, Za Warudo said:

What if i make this zdoom only? (i would love that)

no thanks

This is why new members of the community shouldn't lead projects which other people devote their time to; you don't even know what format you want! You started this giving everybody reading a different assumption and now participants are going to be confused and upset that what they thought they were told is in fact changing and now their map, which they've already put time into, needs more time due to an arbitrary decision by somebody. In some cases, especially with the more complicated a map becomes, maps can't just be converted on-a-whim from one format to another. Seriously, just pick something and go with it.

If you're getting the itch to work on something or do something productive, funnel that energy into building a map rather than arbitrarily changing rules around hoping the powers of micro-management come through to save the day.

I am not going to change the format again.It is Boom and it will stay Boom.

And how do you think should i learn how to lead projects if i do not start them early on

8 minutes ago, Za Warudo said:

I am not going to change the format again.It is Boom and it will stay Boom.

And how do you think should i learn how to lead projects if i do not start them early on

Lay out some limitations, goals, and an intended port, and stick to the plan. If there's going to be a limit of maps per player, then don't expect the project to move very quickly. If there's 32 maps, then don't expect it to get moving very quickly.

1 hour ago, Za Warudo said:

Uhhh... join them as a regular member, observe the leader (and results) and learn just like everyone else, rather than get yourself in over your head with no foreknowledge and risk wasting not only your own time, but the time of others. That doesn't mean I think you should abandon this; you're stuck for it now, but don't wait around for a full 32 maps. In the future you should really think before using other people for your own projects before you have either a clear-cut goal or the experience to make a quality product on your own. I liked your JOM3 map; you did a good job with it, but there is much room for improvement and you should spend this time as a knowledge-sponge: learning, not leading.

Also, given this recent wave of new mappers starting up CP's mostly other new mappers are signing up for, I think it's important to note another reason why established mappers should lead projects: because it falls to the leader to make sure maps are up to par, which means for participants who are new mappers that the leader should generally take the time to help them improve, which is not only out of a new mapper's knowledge base, but also less likely to happen with a new mapper who is leading a project since established members of the community know what the community's actual standards are, thus ensuring a quality product over-all and therefore more feedback to said new mappers.

I wish you luck on this, though; I'll likely drop in once in a while to playtest a map and offer my feedback, but this process will slow down your learning of mapping as you spend time securing the child-next-to-you's breathing mask before securing your own, if that makes sense. Managing others is rarely fun or worth it and is always a terrible idea when new to something.

Ah my apologies; I thought I had played a map from you in one of the sessions.

Okay, well I guess I'm out then, even though by looking at the OP you wouldn't even know I was in the project at all despite posting in this thread from the beginning, stating twice that I wanted to do a Retro Titan's Realm, and directly pointing out that I was not in the OP. I have plenty of other maps to work on without this one so I'm out. Good day, sir!

21 minutes ago, Za Warudo said:

Come on,do not leave,i will ad you.

Listen dude, I'm on your side here. I want this to succeed, it's a fun idea. But when you're running a project like this you gotta make sure your respecting your contributors. I gave you a lot of time before I said anything and then more time after that before making the above post. To me it looks like you're ignoring me, and that makes me not want to work on this. It's bad for morale. Please learn from this situation. I know you are new to running this sort of thing so I'll cut you some slack. Retro Titan's Realm is back on the table.

Edited by NecrumWarrior

I haven't started my map yet since I was (and still am) making a map for another CP, but since this project appears to be falling apart, i'm gonna go for that doom 3 cp one before this.

If you can get this back on track and stabilize it, I'll definitely still make my map... eventually.

21 hours ago, Mosshopper said:

You should keep the 32 map format but change the limit of maps per player. DTWID and D2TWID were limitless.

A couple observations I made:

1. How did you play the starting bit? Because the imps are made trivial if you just peek around the corner and take potshots from the tunnel you start in. Maybe make it so that when you enter the room, the ceiling collapses behind you and you're forced to fight the imp horde?

2. The Hell Knight encounters can just be ran away from. Maybe put a timed door that closes behind you? All of my suggestions are like this.

3. The final wave before exiting doesn't need to be fought, you can just rush to the exit without firing a shot. Maybe make it so the exit is locked behind a timed door as well?

I liked it.

Thanks for the pointers mosshopper. I suppose I was trying to accommodate for speedrunners and 100% if u really want it. I myself am a 100%er so I can't resist the urge to leave a demon trail on my way out. Which is probably why I didn't think to lock the player in. But a lil more elbow grease should do the trick. Thanks for the feedback

12 hours ago, NecrumWarrior said:

Listen dude, I'm on your side here. I want this to succeed, it's a fun idea. But when you're running a project like this you gotta make sure your respecting your contributors. I gave you a lot of time before I said anything and then more time after that before making the above post. To me it looks like you're ignoring me, and that makes me not want to work on this. It's bad for morale. Please learn from this situation. I know you are new to running this sort of thing so I'll cut you some slack. Retro Titan's Realm is back on the table.

I kinda agree, you can't just make the rules and then change them half way through because of personal preference, or what others tell you. People should be able to design their level(s) for whatever source port they want, like you originally said. If you limit it to Boom only, I can't use any ZDoom features, and presumably, can't use scripts. On the flipside, if you limit it to ZDoom only, then it will cause issues for Boom users. You have to stick with it from the start, and really decide what you want them to be.

So it's still Boom only? Well that sucks.

Because I am serious when I say that it will be impossible to create, meaning I will have to leave the project and pursue the idea on my own.

Edited by HyperLuke

Yep, but without ZDoom Scripts, I will not be able to make the ending boss fight with 2 or more barons, and the 4 mancubi so that when you kill all of them, a door opens. I am not perfectly recreating either, hence why the concepts are merged. It will be impossible without scripts to implement that.

2 hours ago, HyperLuke said:

It will be impossible without scripts to implement that.

Yes, surely we should force everyone to use zdoom just so you can do your one map (and possibly one of two others).