Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Za Warudo

Doom the way YOU did (for real this time)

3 hours ago, HyperLuke said:

Yep, but without ZDoom Scripts, I will not be able to make the ending boss fight with 2 or more barons, and the 4 mancubi so that when you kill all of them, a door opens. I am not perfectly recreating either, hence why the concepts are merged. It will be impossible without scripts to implement that.

You are underestimating Boom's "scripting" capabilities. This beautiful map plays in the map01 slot and is in Boom format. And instead of making one door open, I make six doors open, which is, like, six times better. (Video gets a bit loud at the end. :D) 

1 minute ago, bonnie said:

@rdwpa how in the heck

You set up dummy player starts and manipulate them using action 253 to activate multiple walk-over linedefs. Sunlust is a good wad to examine if you want to understand how it works properly (at least that's how i learnt it).

What makes Boom superior in the first place? Is it because of nostalgia or something?

'Cuz I still have a zdoom copy of the map and I can switch anytime.

2 minutes ago, Battle_Kirby said:

What makes Boom superior in the first place? Is it because of nostalgia or something?

'Cuz I still have a zdoom copy of the map and I can switch anytime.

I don't think it's that Boom is superior, it's that it's the most compatible with the most ports, so it's usually the standard unless more advanced features are part of the vision 

1. Compatibility with more ports (not everybody prefers to play Doom using ZDoom).

2. Demo recording compatibility (particularly for PrBoom-plus).

@bonnie

1. All mancs have an invisible door on top of them created by sector effect 242 (so that you can't actually see it, ofc). This door periodically tries to close but won't while the mancs are alive. The sectors of this door are joined together, so the door won't fully close until every single manc is dead. The doors also connected to a distant offmap sector, so you won't hear it continually attempting to close, at least not in prBoom+.

2. This door is synced to a linedef action "Scroll Move Things When Sector Changes Height" that affects an offmap sector containing a voodoo doll. As the door lowers, the voodoo doll moves proportionately and in the direction of a walkover linedef that triggers the victory sequence. The voodoo doll moves far enough to cross this linedef only when the door closes. 

3. The victory sequence itself is managed by another voodoo doll, released by the first one, that crosses a bunch of walkover triggers using action 253 like scotty mentioned. 

That all might seem complicated, but it's pretty routine if you do this stuff often. It took me 5 minutes to set up and a further 10 minutes to make it work properly, much of which was calibrating the victory sequence for optimal stupidity.

Cons are that it involves an invisible door closing in the playspace, so the mancs have to be placed on turrets, and their corpses disappear. Depending on the size of the turret, however, the doors can be 1x1, which makes it less wonky if the turrets are in the middle of the playspace. The barons don't actually do anything in this example, but if you isolate the arena from other monsters, you can put monster-use SR linedefs everywhere that are continually activated by the barons (monsters do this automatically) and that periodically keep a remote door closed. When opened (by a voodoo doll looping around a remote sector if nothing else), that door would free a voodoo doll to cross stuff. Or something like that. If that works, you could also try that with the mancs. 

But honestly, all of this stuff won't make a map good. I'd take a really compelling e1m8/MAP07 combo -- cool visuals, cool narrative, cool fights -- in which the player leaves the main fight in a typical way over a bland one with all this fancy stuff, any day of the week. Scripting will not save a bad map, and there are plenty of maps that attest to that.  

Edited by rdwpa

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just put it in the map 07 slot and create a Keen-baron in Dehacked?

Opening WhackEd and then fiddling around in Slade would take me just as long as all that, tbh, and I'd find it less fun. The main focus, though, was what Boom-format scripting can do. Also it's cool to be aware of a method that can be generalized to any map slot and doesn't rely on DeHackEd modifications. 

In response to Bonnie: No, anyone can use any ports, as he originally said. You don't need to be so easily angered.

In response to Za Warudo: Well, I don't appreciate this false advertising from the beginning, I am leaving, cya.

Edited by HyperLuke : Important Info

5 hours ago, HyperLuke said:

In response to Bonnie: No, anyone can use any ports, as he originally said. You don't need to be so easily angered.

In response to Za Warudo: Well, I don't appreciate this false advertising from the beginning, I am leaving, cya.

Well....bye

6 hours ago, HyperLuke said:

In response to Bonnie: No, anyone can use any ports, as he originally said.

Wow, you can play zdoom maps with zdoom effects and scripting in prboom+? Why does zdoom even exist then?

Learn something new everyday.

27 minutes ago, Za Warudo said:

This CP is officially closed.

lmao what the fuck??

did you have a mental breakdown????

good thing i didn't start my map yet.

57 minutes ago, bonnie said:

lmao what the fuck??

did you have a mental breakdown????

good thing i didn't start my map yet.

Give the guy a break, he jumped into making a community project without being fully prepared, it happens.

15 minutes ago, NecrumWarrior said:

Give the guy a break, he jumped into making a community project without being fully prepared, it happens.

He could have kept going. Actually, he SHOULD have kept going, it would have been given him great experience and he would have felt great once the project was finally complete.

I just wasn't expecting him to suddenly just close it without warning (as well as drop out of another cp at the same time).

27 minutes ago, bonnie said:

He could have kept going. Actually, he SHOULD have kept going, it would have been given him great experience and he would have felt great once the project was finally complete.

I just wasn't expecting him to suddenly just close it without warning (as well as drop out of another cp at the same time).

I wouldn't say it was completely without warning. I had a feeling this might happen based on how the last few days have gone in this thread. Mapping is a hobbyist's art though, which means it should be fun. As far as I can tell this has probably become more of a stresser than anything so I certainly do not blame him for wanting to step back and re assess his situation. I don't think this project is worth anyone getting upset over. I still plan on making my map and anyone who did start a map can always post it elsewhere as a stand alone. Or someone could come along and start it back up, who knows?

I have no idea. I think people a getting shitty at him because this project was boom only.

1 hour ago, SOSU said:

Can someone explain to me what the fuck happened here?

Rules for the CP changed (at a time I thought was early enough that it shouldn't be that big a deal) resulting in confusion and frustration. People started dropping out ( I even did initially but it was for different reasons which were rectified) and I'm sure it was disheartening to Za Warudo. I had a feeling this might happen when people started dropping because "it looks like this project is falling apart" which to me it wasn't, we just had some misunderstandings. I was hoping this project would not be dropped but what can you do? I have no intention of taking over a community project. I would be open to participating if someone else picked up this project. I did start my Titan's Realm and have every intention to finish it.

2 minutes ago, NecrumWarrior said:

I had a feeling this might happen when people started dropping because "it looks like this project is falling apart" which to me it wasn't,

oof. went straight for my neck.

3 minutes ago, bonnie said:

oof. went straight for my neck.

Shhhhh, I was trying to avoid naming names >.> I don't blame you, I know things looked pretty shaky. It just made my heart sink when I saw that post because of how close it came after my little kerfuffle.