Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
plmgrno

I can imagine myself still playing DOOM in 20 years.

First of all, sorry for my English. 

I recently got pretty sick of how video games are nowadays. It's mostly just titles you play through and that's it. It's always been clear to me that a game which offers true long-term fun just has to be community-driven. Most of the games you play on consoles or on PC nowadays are over as soon as you had your first playthrough, offering no long-term fun and no reason to start the game again, the ONLY exception in YEARS was Terraria by Re-Logic for me. That was the reason I searched for a game that has an active community and is not a MMORPG whose fanbase will die in 3 years, a game that has unlimited content. And I haven't found a single game. One day (2 years ago) I thought about "Hey, I played that old shooter with my classmate back then, and it was really fun. I just wanna get it and see how it was.". And honestly, I couldn't remember the name, I didn't grow up with Doom, I was born in 1994 and my first contact to video games was made when playing SNES with my sister. I got the game, started up Plutonia, and just played a bit, I thought "hey, the concept is so simple yet so much fun" but I thought it was just another video game I'd put away in a few days. Turns out, after two years, DOOM became THE video game. And by that, I only mean Doom 1 and Doom 2, and by that, I mean: Community-made levels. I don't play anything else anymore, I don't wanna jump into games that I put away after some time and never come back.

It's the unbelievable massive amount of level packs and mods that are out there, created by this incredible community, that make this game so sustainable. I just browsed the id games archive and again I thought: Fuck, there is SO MUCH stuff to play. I will never finish playing all those levels, with new megawads and wads and other mods arriving on a regular basis. I'm still relatively new to DOOM, I just recently joined the community and I have played for two years only, but I think I will never get back to anything else. Doom 1 & 2 itself are cool, the levels are a bit out of date after playing new ones, and they are basically just two megawads. The reason why Doom is so great is because it follows a simple and very basic concept, which in itself is not deep at all. It's the community that created so much depth to this game and as a newby, I just wanna thank you guys for all that. The fun I have thanks to you is unbelievable.

I know your feelings! Even though I know Doom since I was a little kid, it was like 3 months ago since I really got into the game and found out that there are homemade wads, mods and stuff. I feel new and old at the same time here haha

I will always play Doom, my children and grand kids will know about it. I have 9 years playing it. I don't play any Mods or WADs because they are many, TOO MANY and I don't have time and interest either, the only WAD I have played is Requiem and haven't complete it,  also Brutal Doom 64, once I completed it in easy difficulty never played it again. I know there will be a great time to try good Mods and WADs, it's just a matter of time, I know I will be worth. I also imagine myself playing it, from Doom 1 to new releases by Id Software in the future. Doom is my life.

Edited by Gerardo194

I've been a fan of Doom since it was first originally released in 1993, it's has a prominent place in my gaming collection. Doom, Doom II, Master Levels, Final Doom, PSX Doom/Final, Doom 64, Doom 3/ROE, Doom 2016 all have earned their place in my heart as well. There are certainly other series I am just as passionate about, but for me Doom has remained at the top. It's such a highly replayable game with a seemingly never ending supply of content because of such an active community. I wonder if iD Software back in the day ever realized that Doom would still be around to this very day? 

While technology is getting more and more advanced each year, we're finding ways to play Doom on stranger and stranger things. Who knows? In 20 years, we might be able to play Doom on an abacus or on someone's teeth.

Doom is very flexible game in all kinds.

While modern games are released, the most interesting content will cut out, and then sold as DLC. And the games primarily designed for multiplayer, which in some cases worsens the quality of the single player.

well, i think another reason doom is such a long-lasting game is because as the source ports get more advanced and get new features, more and more unique, original levels can come out that introduce new ideas that haven't been done in the game before. combined with the seemingly endless stream of creativity this community seems to have (seriously, why can't i be this creative? it makes me feel like there's something wrong with me...), you basically have they perfect platform to make things that have never been done before.

i mean, seriously! look at this!

*Finds out about Brutal Doom*

*Loads up Brutal Doom*

*Finds out a massive 40 minute map*

*Loads up the big map instead*

*Finds out about BTSX E1*

*Loads up BTSX E1 instead*

*Finds out about BTSX E2*

*Loads up BTSX E2 instead*

*Finds out about Strain*

*Loads up Strain instead*

*Finds out about Nuts*

*Loads up Nuts instead*

*Finds out about Nuts 2 and 3*

*Loads up Nuts 2 and 3 instead*

*Finds out about Mock 2*

*Loads up Mock 2 instead*

*Finds out about Strife*

*Loads up Strife instead*

*Finds out about Bloodstain*

*Loads up Bloodstain instead*

*Finds out about Foursite*

*Loads up Foursite instead*

*Finds out about Death Foretold*

*Loads up Death Foretold instead*

*Finds out about Doom 64: Retribution*

*Loads up Doom 64: Retribution instead*

Result: A long list of unfinished stuff, and the list grows everyday.

Hmm... in 20 years, what I imagined at least with Doom, is to use it to teach my offsprings a lesson. Now back the duck up for a pro-level quality writing prompt response this thread triggered.

*khm*

Young but inspired Kirby Jr sneaks up to the PC to try out the newest multiplayer shooter his dad bought over. It was Quake 88, a fast paced virtual reality shootfest, as far as young Kirby Jr knows. This game seems like loads of fun to him, especially seeing his Dad play it so intensely, that is, when he isn't sinked somewhere in his office or outside with Mom. This was now Kirby Jr's only chance to try out the game without being caught, due to the intense rating labeled on the game for gore, swear words and potential demonic images

"At last! Here it is!"

He hovers the mouse cursor over the icon of the game, the same Quake simbol doused in blood and gold, the icon of the champions. The screen blackens, as young Kirby hopes to see the chance to at least see what made his father so attached to this game

"Oh shit!"

ENTER PASSWORD YOU LITTLE SHITFACE:

"I can't fucking believe it! That sonuvabitch placed a password or something."

In fact, it was the usual child-protection software, set in place to prevent young children being corrupted by the vices of the online gaming world. Usually parents need to buy games in this case, and can decide to put a password that forbids their children from playing multiplayer matches and getting hooked like addicts. In this case, his Dad was one of the people who use the passwords

"Not fucking fair! How the fuck can Tymm play the game on his computer then? Ugh, there is no harm in trying..."

ENTER PASSWORD YOU LITTLE SHITFACE: kirbyrulez

NOPE. CONSULT YOUR FUCKING FATHER YOU LITTLE SHIT.

"Customizable password prompts are not funny" Kirby Jr decided "Ah whatever, I guess it was finally time to confront my dad about this. I can't wait to stop playing his fucking game he played back in Stone Age and try out something much more modern"

*Screenwipe to living room*

"DAAAAAAD!!!"

"WHAAAAAT!!?"

"When are you going to let me play Quake?!"

"When Half Life 3 comes out, you little shit. Unless you are done with your training that is..."

"I think I am..."

"Hahaha! I can feel the insecurities within you! You are not ready!"

"WHAT DID YOU SAY YOU OLD FUCK!?"

*far beyond in the realms of the house, somewhere along the next five consencutive hairpin curves, a voice boomed*

*It was Mom*

"WOULD YOU TWO SHUT THE FUCK UP?! KIRBY JUNIORS THAT IS NOT HOW YOU SPEAK TO YOUR FUCKING FATHER YOU AREN'T GROWN UP ENOUGH TO PROPERLY USE THE WORD FUCK!"

"Okay mom."

"AND KIRBY, DON'T TORTURE THAT LITTLE GUY ANYMORE! HE HAD DONE HIS HOMEWORK ALREADY!"

"WOMYN!!! YOU KNOW THIS ISN'T ABOUT SOME STUPID HOMEWORK! I AM TALKING ABOUT HIS INNOCENCE! I DON'T WANT ANY OF THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS TEACHING OUR KID SOME SHIT ABOUT PLAYING GAMES OR LIVING LIVES!!!"

"UGH! WHEN WILL YOU LET GO!?"

"UNTIL THE DAY HE BEATS ME UP AT BRUTAL DOOM V50 HE ISN'T GOING TO SEE ANY OTHER GAME!"

*silence*

"Fine... I have a life anyways" Kirby Jr concludes, and goes out of the house to practice on his sick bike drifting skills before bed time.

"Huh... wouldn't it be cool to try to play Quake? And finally have clue as of what the other guys keep talking about. Like seriously, what is Big Fucking Railgun anyways?"

-----

Several days later.

"BOYY YOU FUCKED UP BIG TIME!"

"I DID NOT!"

"Oh really, then the Super Principal was wrong right? What did I told you when we talked about bully confrontations, young man?"

"You didn't tell---"

"I told you, aim for the balls and run away! Don't just fucking stand there like a newb!"

"Sorry dad... I didn't know..."

"Yeah, and because of your amateurness, and you better bring up some paper and a pencil because: no more bike drifting, no more chocolate cookies, no more headphones, no mo---"

"FATHER, I DEMAND A TRIAL BY COMBAT!"

*The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly whistle whistles super loud. Mother responds*

"OOOOH SHITS COMING DOOOOWN!"

Kirby looks up to his son.

*Cue pan shots to their faces*

"What kind of combat?"

"Project Brutality. First 10 frags, winner"

"And what do you wager, young man?"

"If I win, I don't get punished---"

"And if I win, Double Detention"

Kirby Jr backs up and breathes in. Now, unlike ever before, he was more aware of his potential doom, and he was never as lucid as before. Challenging his dad on Project Brutality was a unthought course of action. Maybe, if he was silent, his punishment wouldn't be as bad.

However, nothing spells doom better than Double Detention. Isolation for a entire weekend, with nothing to do but study, and watch the kid's channel on the TV.

"Fuck..." Kirby Jr muttered underneath his breath.

However, his father smiled with ultimate confidence "What is it, punk? Scared?"

Kirby Jr swallows a spit, and looks up to his dad with his trademark Face of Ultimate Determination, in hopes to lower his father's morale for the upcoming slaugtherfest. But of course, Kirby Jr knew his dad better than anyone who played with him, because he knows whenever he puts up his Face of Ultimate Determination, his father would just laugh and be more relaxed with him.

And that was just what he had done. Indeed, if his son placed up any other face, Kirby would be concerned as of what the little punk had stored in mind. This way, it looks like a one-way ride to Double Detention. But he knew his 11-year old son was no one to be trifled with in regards to Brutal Doom combat. After all, he was teaching him tricks and strategy ever since he was 9. If math has ever teached him something, it would be the undeniable fact that one day, Kirby Jr will succeed.

And it could be this day. If not today, then the another.

However this short brawl of minds and ages was nothing but a prelude to a actual ball busting battle filled with rockets and gore. See us next time in Kirby Jr's Super Adventures of Doom and Drifting.

THE END

Started playing Doom in the mid to late 90s. Never stopped, and never will. Doom is my lifeblood man.

There is no reason for me to stop Doom (unless I went blind). It is a timeless masterpiece and it will stay this way for many years to come, because of the strong community and the overall balance. Also, it is my favourite game, which is a reason in itself to keep playing. And even if I got bored from the iwads (this will never happen), I could still play tons of beautiful and fun wads and mods that are available.

In conclusion: If I were to sing for Doom, I would choose "Never gonna give you up".

I can't imagine I'll ever stop playing Doom (2) completely either. Sure, there have been long gaps between sessions occasionally, but it keeps me coming back. Been playing steady the last few months, and I got a real surge of renewed interest when BTSX 1 got its final release. MAN, what a mapset!

2 hours ago, Uncle 80 said:

I got a real surge of renewed interest when BTSX 1 got its final release. MAN, what a mapset!

That's the first custom wad I got to play after having finished Doom 1 and 2 and it indeed is incredible in every way. Going to play BTSX 2 if I ever finish some currently unfinished wads. It's like Voros said above. I sometimes start playing wads and finish them after a few months due to playing other wads. I don't know if I will ever stop this habit of mine.  :)

The community keeps getting more ambitious, not only because they're getting older and wiser in regards to modding, but also because the modding tools themselves become more powerful over time. It's difficult to imagine that, even 20 years from now, folks will have run out of ideas. Highly unlikely. We've been going strong for longer than a number of its fans have been alive. There's no reason to believe it'll be a dead art form anytime soon.

I can also imagine in 20 years, Repercussions of Evil and The Imp Encounter being made into Shakespearean plays.

Some of this community have been playing for over 20 years already.... 20 more years of doom??

Yeah why not :-)

There is a thing called Gott Principle. You can use it to calculate statistically the lifetime of something.

Doomworld site was created in 1998. So we have a 50% probability that it will close between 2023 and 2074 (if I got it right).

41 minutes ago, Angry Saint said:

There is a thing called Gott Principle. You can use it to calculate statistically the lifetime of something.

Doomworld site was created in 1998. So we have a 50% probability that it will close between 2023 and 2074 (if I got it right).

Well, that narrows it down :)

22 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

Well, that narrows it down :)

To say it all, we have a 95% probability that Doomworld will close between 6 months and 2758 AD. Is it narrow enough?

I've been playing Doom on and off since Christmas 1996 and since its my 2nd favorite game of all time next to Deus Ex ill never stop playing it.

Its literally a timeless classic in every sence of the word, especially with all the different mods available to play now and in the future.

6 hours ago, Angry Saint said:

To say it all, we have a 95% probability that Doomworld will close between 6 months and 2758 AD. Is it narrow enough?

It is pretty narrow, while it is not in the same time (insert X-Files theme here).

That said, Doomworld living for some centuries is good news. Maybe my grand-grand-grand-grandchildren will find it and know of its glory! Who knows?

I still Playning Ultimate Doom Until Today Like i Have  387  Hours in the steam ,+ i have a friend who have like 1,428 Hours in Doom 2 on steam ,i go still Play doom even in 20 Years

I played doom back in the middle ages (1993).

Then we had doom2, hexen, heretic, quake, quake2, RTCW, halflife, NOLF (really cool if you did not know it), unreal, moh, cod ....  (can't remember the exact order) - all cool and stuff, but since 5 years i nearly exclusively play doom and doom2. Oh, yeah, i did some deus ex, fallout, ....but they do not even get close to the heels of doom and its herecy. 

Btw, i got some servers running on a raspberry pi. As of today i hosted already some 400(!) different (mega)wads. There is just like no end to what doom(2) offers even today.

On 02/04/2017 at 10:22 AM, ShotgunDemolition said:

There is no reason for me to stop Doom (unless I went blind). It is a timeless masterpiece and it will stay this way for many years to come, because of the strong community and the overall balance. Also, it is my favourite game, which is a reason in itself to keep playing. And even if I got bored from the iwads (this will never happen), I could still play tons of beautiful and fun wads and mods that are available.

In conclusion: If I were to sing for Doom, I would choose "Never gonna give you up".

I'd like to think that in 20 years time there will be technology that allows the blind to play video games... and that Doom would be the first game to showcase such technology :p 

I will probably be in my 60s and still clearing out my future place in Hell with a plasma rifle.  Seems like no matter what new game comes along, I forget about it and just come right back to Doom.  With all the mods out there, the game's got virtually infinite replay value now.  I'll take that over a $60 six hour campaign any day.