Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Speed of Doom

Their gameplay styles are completely different, though. Death-Destiny maps have a sensationalized take on difficulty, while Darkwave is more down-to-earth. In my opinion, at least.

Aww, map05 is a personal favourite of mine, I was pretty happy altogether with how it turned out. :'-(

Darkwave0000 is definitely not death-destiny, I can confirm this. Darkwave0000 is a non-English speaker from the Americas with a very idiosyncratic way of writing. dew can confirm this, I recall he was pointing out his quirky way of writing when I copypasted his comments and responses to feedback, basically being the middleman delivering messages.

18 minutes ago, Joshy said:

Aww, map05 is a personal favourite of mine, I was pretty happy altogether with how it turned out. :'-(

FWIW, it was one of my favourite maps when I played SOD for the first time.

MAP05 Cliffside Siege

Okay real question, is it Wars Word or War Sword?

So this obviously was inspired by an Alien Vendetta map using a similar name and a customized version of the ROTT midi that played on that map. What can we see here? A lot of snipers, unfortunately, one of them is that spiderdemon. Cover is thankfully welcoming whereever I find it, and figuring out where to go isn't a toughie since this level is quite short. And of course, I wanted to telefrag that bitch, so there's that. The game's first arch-vile also is in a rough spot, so the course is to kill it quickly and then the chaingunners that make their presence known after picking up the yellow key. Not much else to say really. A lot of teleport ambushes, and a few pop-up monsters.

16 minutes ago, Grain of Salt said:

FWIW, it was one of my favourite maps when I played SOD for the first time.

Well I just replayed it after a long time. Took me 3 tries before I finished it without dying. To be honest, now I wouldn't have left the design as it is, and added a soulsphere and more health here and there so there's more more run-gun-resurgence stuff instead of having to play a bit more carefully and strategically, and would've considered removing the damaging floor or added more suits. But hey, that's hindsight and all.

14 minutes ago, NuMetalManiak said:

MAP05 Cliffside Siege

Okay real question, is it Wars Word or War Sword?

Probably War Sword, Jimmy was referencing 'Excalibur' from ROTT but I'm probably unnecessarily pointing out the obvious, heh.

38 minutes ago, Joshy said:

Same. In retrospect I find the elevators out of the central nukage pit awkward as hell, but otherwise I still enjoy the map's cruelty regarding exposure. Oh and we should've never allowed the stupid bar glide, the sliding run across the center is a million times sexier.

5 hours ago, NecrumWarrior said:

Well that's troubling... maybe I should switch to UV.

I don't want to cramp your style or question your setup, but I'd recommend switching to UV and compensating the difficulty hike by allowing yourself to save here and there. The people bashing the wad's lower skill have done their homework well and despite what the textfile says SoD is pretty much "intended for UV, sorry everyone else". If I recall my timeline right, Joshy only started truly caring about lower skill placement during PRCP and Resurge when he became much more methodical about the process. I can only assume it was an afterthought for Darkwave as well, given how sharply lamed down his maps become. And when you check the list of testers, I wonder if anyone even played medium/easy at all. I didn't give it a single thought back then, heh.

3 hours ago, tourniquet said:

AFAIK Ribbiks did quite a few investigations around that topic so maybe he'd like to share some of his insights. Personally i always wanted to believe it's true. One of the things i was always wondering about is that Darkwave never bothered to become active on DW (correct me if i'm wrong) despite being registered on various other Doom forums whicht might directly relate to D-D's departure here.

Death-Destiny made his dark plutonia impressively fast, kind of a mapping machine like skillsaw. A pity he didn't complete it.

I have to say that this insta-pop / port ambush style gives me trouble, as it turns apparently peaceful sections instantly into a battlefield, unlike older style wads.  Well, not yet, but those maps will come soon enough.

Map 05 Cliffside Siege

Fun map, when you know it. Visual and layout is well designed, particularly the outer areas . Gameplay (as in many other maps by Joshy in this mapset) is a sort of "neverending action" which begins with strong pressure on the player becaming somehow more "tame" towards the end. Took me 4-6 restarts (playing aggressive to have more fun) to re-beat this level.

I can stand this kind of gameplay for some maps, but not if it is reapeted for 15 maps or so: this is my main "issue" with Joshy maps on SoD.

I think instead in the maps he made on PRCP and map 29 of Unholy Realms (I didn't played Resurgence yet) he changed this habit and I really appreciated those maps.

YHF46Bch.png

MAP05 - “Cliffside Siege” by Joshy

gzDoom - UV – pistol start/no saves

This was a bastard of a map. Smaller with a lot of open space in the middle forcing the player to hug the sides, dancing on the edges at times and scrambling back up for cover, ever mindful of far off distant fireballs and SMM hitscans.

I found the best approach from the start was to grab the shotgun, armor and ammo by doing a little circle around the oncoming pinkie, sprint up past the rev and imps, kill both CG guys and hunker down. Don’t forget to kill the cheeky lone imp hiding in rocks beyond those windows. Little jerk snipes at you as you hide in one of the best places for cover. After that, deal with the rev, snipe the zombies, grab the SSG, double back and let the imps provide cover from the SMM fire. Then hopefully you can start some infighting started as you will need all the help you can get. Keeping them busy while you deal with the CG group in the corner is tricky. All of that in the first minute. Hot damn. Speed of Doom indeed.

The series of insta-spawn revs, imps, cacs, mancs a PE and an Arch-Vile (toasty…) followed by more cacs and CG guys was incredibly hard to get right the first time. Panic at any time and more than likely you’ll end up falling in the drink.

I was finally able to get a good run through learning from missteps combined with a little luck after I died a handful of times at different parts. I found that there is very little room for the small mistakes with so little health to be found. Disallowing and kind of recovery things can turn in to a trial and error type of affair. Not my favorite gameplay style but with the map being so small, I couldn’t stay angry at it. Plus everything looks great. Just look at that waterfall! The central rock island stuff was expertly designed as well with the hop over the main landing and the rock climbing path back up to safety behind.

I enjoyed having to figure out where to go to raise the bars before the end by having to climb up the waterfall as well and work quickly through the damage muck and mini horde of spectres.

This is the first music track from Jimmy91 as well. Underrated probably as a person focuses so much on not dying that the background beat might go unnoticed but it is awesome. A good layer of parumping bass beats while a main melody repeats in slightly different style on top. Each with it’s own crescendo followed by a break before changing form again. Good stuff that doesn’t distract too much and adds an undercurrent of intensity while you figure things out death by death.

MAP05: Cliffside Siege
Time - 10:36

A very very beautiful Map ! Reminds me of a good old Scythe 1 Map for some reason... even though its a different style... The Layout of this Map is just great :) every place in this Map is used and filled with action and Fun ! There is absolutely nothing to say against this Map. small,good Monster and Item Placement and good design. Hope to see more of this :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gat69nh9bmfv7sw/SoD_M05_Necrum_QZ.lmp?dl=0

Here's me attempting to beat the map on UV. I don't know, man! I know this WAD isn't designed for lower difficulties but I don't think I can handle this. I'm going to have a heart attack at this rate, Jesus Christ! I might have to judge this set on its HMP. I know that half the maps will be harder than the others but we can't just sit here and judge the thing solely on its hardest difficulty, can we? Someone's gotta trudge through the filth. I am so fucking pissed off now though so I'll give the map another try later.

EDIT: First attempt has some cool kills. I was really hoping I would just not die. Oh well. And I disappear for about a minute in there somewhere when my burritos were done cooking.

This map isn't really any easier on HMP than it is on UV.  And that (really dumb) Mastermind turret is still there.

If you have any Dehacked skill, the best way to make SoD easier would probably be to make a .deh that applied the Skill 1 ammo/damage changes to all skill levels (if that's possible, which I think it should be).

3 hours ago, NecrumWarrior said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gat69nh9bmfv7sw/SoD_M05_Necrum_QZ.lmp?dl=0

Here's me attempting to beat the map on UV. I don't know, man! I know this WAD isn't designed for lower difficulties but I don't think I can handle this. I'm going to have a heart attack at this rate, Jesus Christ! I might have to judge this set on its HMP. I know that half the maps will be harder than the others but we can't just sit here and judge the thing solely on its hardest difficulty, can we? Someone's gotta trudge through the filth. I am so fucking pissed off now though so I'll give the map another try later.

EDIT: First attempt has some cool kills. I was really hoping I would just not die. Oh well. And I disappear for about a minute in there somewhere when my burritos were done cooking.

So patience is definitely not your privilege, is it? Don't worry, I get you (;

Oh boy, what awaits me ...

44 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

So patience is definitely not your privilege, is it? Don't worry, I get you (;

Oh boy, what awaits me ...

I can do patience. What gets me is that this map would be really hard on its own, but on top of that difficulty I have that inkling in the back of my mind constantly telling me to be aware of where the Mastermind is, and it throws my rhythm off so much. 

26 minutes ago, NecrumWarrior said:

I can do patience. What gets me is that this map would be really hard on its own, but on top of that difficulty I have that inkling in the back of my mind constantly telling me to be aware of where the Mastermind is, and it throws my rhythm off so much. 

You don't have to kill the MM, there is a teleport on the left side building that let you telefrag it

14 minutes ago, Paul977 said:

You don't have to kill the MM, there is a teleport on the left side building that let you telefrag it

That's not what I'm saying. Being aware of its presence as a turret is what's throwing me not some attempt to kill it. It's something extra to worry about with the fights, being scared of every window because I might get hitscanned. I would have preferred an arachnotron. Although I have had a few runs where it starts infighting with the cache so that's pretty cool. 

MAP05: A rather obvious reference to Alien Vendetta MAP06, even though whenever I play this map I have a deja vù of Plutonia 2 MAP20 for some reasons. The hardest part is probably facing the hell nobles in the western building, while it's easy to make the first wave of cacos to chase the big spider. The red key located outside the main part in the green was particularly cool.

MAP06: This is one of my favourites maps, lots of stuff that got stuck in my mind: the very calm music that later gets more intense, the red key door that you activate by walking over it, the secret with the fast timed lift and that I had no idea of how to pick those goodies, the mysterious silver towers all around.

Hi, I haven't participated in one of these since 50 Shades, so I need to catch up a little here. I'm playing on ultra-violence in Zdoom with no vertical mouselook. I'm also save scumming because lol I suck at this game. I have played the first five maps so far, so I'm up to speed with the speed of doom! (lol)

MAP01: A short and somewhat basic introduction. I love the crazy detail that's gone into making the natural areas look so good, especially the archway leading from the cave into the main area. Not much to say except I almost died at the beginning because I am a noob.

MAP02: A beautiful map with a brilliant choice of music. This map showcases some unusual effects such as lowering stairs and a four-level lift. There is an element of exploration present too along with a whopping five secrets to find (and some of them are pretty well hidden). I loved the little hidden cave secret near the beginning, it was so cute :)

MAP03: I am not a fan of this one. It's all very claustrophobic and there isn't much texture variation, but there is some pretty neat micro-detailing going on. I've begun to notice the inconsistent slime damage effects (in the previous map, the green slime did no damage). Overall, I think this map is fairly bland in comparison to the other two so far (and the two that are coming up).

MAP04: The first big map of the set. There's a lot of eye candy on show here with the mix of sewers and outdoor areas - the crate room is my favorite part in this aspect. The gameplay is fun and varied. There's also a stupidly well hidden secret area down a random hole in some scenery (which is awesome). The only part I didn't like was right at the end where the player becomes trapped in a tiny room with some imps and a hell knight.

MAP05: The map's layout is friggin' awesome, with the main threat for the first half of the map being a spider mastermind. However, the gameplay (at least in my opinion) was a bit meh after that. Most of my trouble came from that part where you're hopping across some of the central islands and an arch-vile pops up - I kept getting hit due to a small step of dirt near some much-needed cover. I also got stuck down the pain elemental's hole on one occasion. The rest of the map was alright, but I think the second set of teleporting cacodemons was unnecessary.

More from me in a few days (maybe tomorrow if I have enough to say to justify a single-map post). I'll also try and be a bit more interactive with my future posts because apparently this club is boring :)

Map 06 Dreamscape

A map I consider even better than map 02 and map 04. Great visuals: green/brown caves with green slime are definitely my cup of tea, especially as detailed as in this map. Gameplay is overall good: fun to deal with moderate hordes of mobs, few teleport traps and a cool and rather brutal bfg secret trap (if you don't react quickly).

To my surprise I died several times in this level, two of which eating a cyber rocket, even though I had miles of space to avoid them.

Flaws ? Yes. Fight two arch-viles with sg/cg is not the best thing to do in life and a secret that require an arch jump to get some health potions is something that escapes a little from my understanding.

Ah, also this level screams Death-Destiny so loud I had to play with earplugs

9 minutes ago, Paul977 said:

Ah, also this level screams Death-Destiny so loud I had to play with earplugs

wait 'til you see 22 :))

re: m06: definitely a stand-out of the set for me. It's pretty much the ideal of "easy slaughter" in my mind: Spacious, hella atmospheric, and manages to have setups that feel imposing without actually being difficult (much bark, little bite!.. happy doomguy). I particularly liked the imp corridor with rev window snipers. I ripped that setup off a few times in my own stuff, but none of the maps I put it in ever ended up being released (yet, anyway).

Guys, it's been confirmed by Joshy that Darkwave is not Death-Destiny. He's obviously Insane Gazebo.

MAP05 - Cliffside Siege

This map gave me so much trouble. I ended up feeling really badass once I knew all the traps and such. I also remember a reworked version of this in the snowy episode of Resurgence. Only vaguely, though. There's a lot to like here, visually, and a lot to dislike from the gameplay. 

The initial chaos is very Joshy, to me. I remember most of the maps in Resurgence had me scrambling past a bunch of enemies, struggling to grab weapons and some solid cover. It's cool to see that technique near its beginning. Grinding through the right side of the map is very fun. Placing oneself carefully to be able to avoid the monsters in front of you, while keeping in cover from the sniper mastermind. 

After this, it's time to take on the left side of the map. Not as much combat here, but a swarm of cacos keeps the pressure on in a really nail-biting way. The left part culminates in a satisfying opportunity to telefrag that pesky spider. Hell yeah! After this, however, is where the map falls apart. Crossing onto the rocky islands in the center of the map.

To Joshy's credit, this area and the surrounding cliffs are textured and crafted superbly. The combat is a little weak. The archvile that pops up in the center of the island gave me fits. There aren't many rockets going around and there's certainly not any cover. One option is to dive down into the pools of slime, letting the archie resurrect whatever it can get its hands on. Not ideal.

Then there's the whole bait and switch with the exit door. The last minute diversion for the red key felt completely unnecessary. Had I been able to get into the exit room and deal with the other archvile right then, I think I would have liked it a lot more.

A handful of good stuff and a handful of bad stuff leaves me pretty mixed about this map. 

Kills - 100%

Items - 100%

Secrets - 0%

map06 - fda

this is more my cup of tea

atmospheric opening, into a slaughter-ish arena by the end.

so much fun zooming around, plus the map is compact ( two caverns with some side branches) so very easy for me to get an idea of layout

only complaints would be rather flat lighting and slightly too straight lines in the caverns themselves (the corridor 'wall' near the rev pillars looks particularly unnatural), and that the cybers are useless and cant get up the stairs to help with infighting.

im also fundamentally against 'friction'/slowing textures in doom but whatever :p

Edited by rehelekretep

MAP06. Nice, fairly casual slaughter, as others have said. I don't agree with putting a soulsphere and a blue armor in a secret. The weird friction floor secret is tricky if you're keyboarding.

I did really well at conserving health for 99% of the map (unused medikits everywhere) and then took a direct hit from a rocket and immediately followed it up by shooting myself in the face.

MAP06 - “Dreamscape” by Darkwave0000

Darkwave's maps just keep getting better. It's another underground cave/techbase mix but very open and with larger groups of enemies. Careful with throwing around the term slaughter! The only slaughter-inspired fight really is the BFG secret with its high Goat Density. It's also where I came closest to dying, thinking I could sneak past without firing first or something stupid like that. Otherwise the combat is quite chill due to all the space to move around in. Certainly not as punishing as map05 prior. The Cyberdemon(s) also makes his first appearance although you kind of have to sneak past the roaming one and do a loop around the platform guy to get any infighting use out of them.