Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aubrey Hodges

Doom 64 - 20th Anniversary Extended Edition Soundtrack

Thanks for everything Mr. Hodges! Your haunting ambient score for Doom is truly outstanding and I look forward to listening to the Doom 64 20th Anniversary Extended Edition Soundtrack.

You are the King, Aubrey!!!!! Looking forward to it. Your bonus tracks from Doom 20th Anniversary Extended Edition were great!!! I always sleep listening to them, also Travel To Dark Places!!! Can't wait for it!! Good to see you here, again. Hail to the King!!!!

Edit: I made a mistake here, I want to mean Journey Into The Dark Places, by @Aubrey Hoghes.

Edited by Gerardo194 : A mistake.

YES! You are the man Aubrey. I knew you would do this for Doom 64 as well! OMG! So excited to listen to them all. They will pair very nicely with my TC of Doom 64 as well!

I was wondering (I had actually sent you an email about this) but do you have the MIDI versions of the original bonus tracks to the Doom 64 soundtrack? Or were they made straight into a streamed format?

Excellent! Thanks for everything, Mr. Hodges. Your work is a vital part of the Doomiverse.

20 hours ago, Aubrey Hodges said:

• New version of the Finale Theme

Aubrey, could this one feature an ending voiceover??

31 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

Aubrey, could this one feature an ending voiceover??

We didn't do an ending voice-over on the N64 due to size restrictions so I don't have any idea what the script would be. I think you'll like what I have done for the Finale though, despite the lack of the voice-over;)

17 hours ago, Nevander said:

YES! You are the man Aubrey. I knew you would do this for Doom 64 as well! OMG! So excited to listen to them all. They will pair very nicely with my TC of Doom 64 as well!

I was wondering (I had actually sent you an email about this) but do you have the MIDI versions of the original bonus tracks to the Doom 64 soundtrack? Or were they made straight into a streamed format?

I used very complicated techniques in my sampler within Logic as well as a ton of custom reverb presets and other plugins to emulate how the PlayStation sound engine functioned. While I could output the raw midi and raw samples, it would not even sound remotely close to the final tracks. 

8 minutes ago, Aubrey Hodges said:

We didn't do an ending voice-over on the N64 due to size restrictions so I don't have any idea what the script would be. I think you'll like what I have done for the Finale though, despite the lack of the voice-over;)

Oh, I see. The script could have been the ending when you kill the Mother Demon just like the one in the Play Station version, but it's ok, then... of course I will like what you have done so far, I'm your number one fan;). I can't wait for this, it will delight me when you release them.

I hope this isn't a late April fools joke. Either way, thanks for being awesome AH.

We are very thankful to have you around doing unpaid Doom stuff :)

Aubrey Hodges is a very talented and diverse musician, I've heard his music from many games spanning multiple genres and I am always impressed by his work. 

In regards to the Doom 64 ost, these are by far my favorites. I am really looking forward to the new versions!

The Madness (Staging Area)

Spaces Between (Holding Area)

Bleep Spawn (Alpha Quadrant)

Lamentation of The Forgotten (Altar of Pain)

Voices In The Blood (Dark Citadel)

Blood Red Shadows (Watch Your Step)

The Rotted Foul (Breakdown)

Perfect Hate (Pitfalls)

While this is awesome...I have to ask... when is the Final Doom Extended soundtrack coming? Also what about the Bonus Tracks that were covered in the Doom OST but not Extended Doom OST?

12 hours ago, 40oz said:

I hope this isn't a late April fools joke. Either way, thanks for being awesome AH.

We are very thankful to have you around doing unpaid Doom stuff :)

I would never do something like that. This is 100% real. 

9 hours ago, Danfun64 said:

While this is awesome...I have to ask... when is the Final Doom Extended soundtrack coming? Also what about the Bonus Tracks that were covered in the Doom OST but not Extended Doom OST?

I'll most likely start the Final Doom special edition right after this one releases. The prep work takes a few weeks, then the tracking, mixing, mastering and everything else takes between 1-4 months. I compose pretty much daily for Backflip Studios/Hasbro as well as several hours of practice on all of the instruments I play, which is quite a few. Then I relax for a bit and get some fresh air and spend time with my family an so on. Then I jump right back into the studio and get to work on these side projects. I am working on 3 other side albums too, Journey into the Cosmos, The Shadow of Yserbius Soundtrack and a series of synth based classical quartets which will ship very soon as well. Beethoven will be first, then I will move on to Holst, Bach, Grieg, Mozart and a few other favorites of mine. I hate spreading myself thin but sometime the creative drive is just too strong to ignore. I started the classical project to make better use of my practice time. Figured I might as well press record while I play through the pieces. Anyway, I hope that gives you a little more insight as to why these projects get a little delayed at times.

I'm gonna use this opportunity to say thank you for your role in shaping the series. The Doom games you contributed to are a huge inspiration for me.

12 hours ago, Devalaous said:

I wouldnt say unpaid. Ive bought all his Doom soundtracks.

Hehe, it really isn't making the best use of my time. I can make more writing a single track commercially than the entire album sales will be. It is a labor of love as these old games meant a great deal to me. And, they are fun to do. But I really do appreciate the folks who buy the albums very much as it restores some measure of faith that not everyone just illegally downloads or streams their music these days. I think pretty much every dollar that has come in from these old soundtracks has just gone right back into keeping my studio running. Lots of my older gear has finally broken down and I have had to get it all serviced. My old Mackie Hr824 Mk 1's lasted an impressive 19 years in service though before the amps died! 

13 hours ago, Aubrey Hodges said:

I used very complicated techniques in my sampler within Logic as well as a ton of custom reverb presets and other plugins to emulate how the PlayStation sound engine functioned. While I could output the raw midi and raw samples, it would not even sound remotely close to the final tracks. 

It would still be a cool bonus, people like this kind of "behind the scene" stuff.

While you're still on Doomworld, I would like to ask a question. Do you know or remember what this is sampling at 3 minutes 8 seconds in? 

I know this sound effect repeats through the various ambient tracks and I was curious on what it actually is. Another question I might as well ask is if you've ever interacted with Trent Reznor who did the PC versions of the Quake Soundtracks. I think some of his later work might seem to take influence from your but that might be just me, personally. Or it could have been the other way around.

Edited by MeetyourUnmaker

7 hours ago, Aubrey Hodges said:

I'll most likely start the Final Doom special edition right after this one releases. 

Excellent, looking forward to this one, too.

7 hours ago, Aubrey Hodges said:

I am working on 3 other side albums too, Journey into the Cosmos, The Shadow of Yserbius Soundtrack and a series of synth based classical quartets which will ship very soon as well.

Is Journey into the Cosmos related to Journey into the Dark Places and Sacred Places??? I really love those albums.

Hey Aubrey. Doom 64 EX port made the music sound differently than the ones from their Nintendo 64 counterparts. I call them the "EX Remixes" Here's The Rotted Foul (EX Remix). 

And here's Perfect Hatred. Now w/ 800% insect noises.

Are they originally supposed sounded the same way in the Nintendo 64 version? It could be the EX engine is making them sound weird and different. Just to let you know. Maybe Kaiser knows. I forgot why they sounded differently.

Doom64 EX plays the extracted MIDI music through FluidSynth after converting the samples to SF2 soundfont format.

To have them sound like on a N64, you'd need to have a software synth that is made specifically to emulate the N64, instead of generic MIDI synth stuff.