Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gothic

MAP30 submission (retired)

I'll preface this by saying that I strongly dislike Icons of Sin as-is but in my opinion this one commits one of the biggest sins of all: I find nothing more annoying than an IoS setup which puts some big monsters in front of the hole to shoot the rockets in that first need to be removed before shooting the boss brain while it happily shoots out its cubes.

And then it spawns all monsters on that small platform the player has to navigate?

No, sorry, not my cup of tea. This is actually one of the worst IoS setups I've ever seen, resulting in a very, very drawn out and annoying fight with little room to move

The monster count (343 monsters [skill 4] to defeat before the final battle with the IoS) seems very excessive in my opinion.

Additionally, due to the huge distance between the hole of IoS and the platform from where one has to shoot rockets at the very precise moment is really hard to determinate the proper moment to shoot. On top of that, only the hole itself is visible, so that one cannot take the chin or whatever part of IoS as reference to time the rocket shoots.

Edited by Litrivin

2 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

I find nothing more annoying than an IoS setup which puts some big monsters in front of the hole to shoot the rockets in that first need to be removed before shooting the boss brain while it happily shoots out its cubes.

And then it spawns all monsters on that small platform the player has to navigate?

How about this then?

8NxvRtJ.png

Still playing through. We do not need to have giant face texture with hole in forehead. The map part seems good so far, but would prefer a boss battle as final map. Can be short but really hard. The map part could be made map29, with some shuffling.

We still need a traditional icon texture set  for compatibility. Maybe one of our artists can make a large texture or more that can be used on a custom icon, or some type of final boss reference. 

Splitting this into two maps (map part as MAP29, IoS part as MAP30) seems a very sensible option which would kill two birds with a stone.

Yeah, sorry for overworking too much the area previous to the IoS, I'm gonna build a different smaller area later.

13 minutes ago, Gothic said:

Yeah, sorry for overworking too much the area previous to the IoS,

It's great! Just too big for a final map. We can pretty much keep entire map and replace the icon with another big fight. 

The combat with the IoS is somehow luck based (have the “wrong” monsters spawned, like one arch-vile [very powerful attack as long as there is visual contact] or one pain elemental [spawns very bothering lost souls and these ones can perturbate the rocket shots to the IoS], and enjoy these extremely annoying and invasive monsters...).

Therefore, I do not think it is very sensible having such long battles before an IoS. Having to replay the entire map and rekill lots of monsters because one was out of luck and had the “wrong” monsters spawned, and either get killed by inevitable attacks by one arch-vile or by one accidental rocket blast in the face when trying to eliminate that bothering pain elemental and its spawn which sabotage the autoaim? It does not seem fair.

The old MAP30 was splitted, fortunately, into the current C3M7 and the current MAP30 for the very same reason.

I didnt finish the map, but its excessively long.

@Catoptromancy mentioned once that moving map29 to a secret slot would be a better place for it, given its nature. But what Im saying is this:

Seperate the boss zone and battle zone. Battle zone will be new map29, map30 will consist of the boss with a few straightforward monster battles. Problem solved. And change the IoS setup to be something more unique. No one (except @Pure Hellspawn) likes Doom 2's IoS setup.

Frankly, this is just like the old map30. Long and confusing. 

On 2 de abril de 2017 at 6:10 PM, Diabolución said:

The old MAP30 was splitted, fortunately, into the current C3M7 and the current MAP30 for the very same reason.

On 2 de abril de 2017 at 11:51 PM, Voros said:

I didnt finish the map, but its excessively long.

Frankly, this is just like the old map30. Long and confusing. 

Am i really the only one that loved the old freedoom stuff??, specially maps??. I honestly love this one as it is. Long and fun (maybe a little too long) but it's alright.

Spoiler

If you wanted to know, my favorites were

- Unfinished Old Map 12

- (Probably Unfinished) Old Map 13

- Old Map 19 (IT WAS A COOL CASTLE MAN!)

- Old Map 24

- Old Map 27

- Old Map 30

- Old Map 31 (AGAIN ANOTHER COOL CASTLE)

- Old Map 32 (JUST A BEEFED DOOM e1m3, BUT IT WAS COOL)

On 4/22/2019 at 4:59 AM, D4RKP1G said:

Am i really the only one that loved the old freedoom stuff??

I love old freedoom versions as much as you do, in fact, 0.6.4 is my favorite version but even I have to admit that MAP30 was unnecessarily long in those versions. I think with some small tweaking this map could make a good IoS.

I'm gonna retire this map from the project. This map has plenty of problems besides the terrible IoS battle, and I want to solve them myself, but not for now.