Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
qbanic

Doom 3 nightmare mode without weapons challenge

Hey, I think some of you might be interested to watch this challenge :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY5nW_OEktQbrm1AzPsGEQw

All monsters killed with bare flashlight, fists and artifact (2 exceptions - Guardian of Hell and Sarge, as it was impossible to kill them without guns).

Please leave me some feedback what I could improve before I may start doing RoE.

Thanks in advance, 

No Super Weapons

41 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Interesting idea for a channel. I might have to check this out. Subbed for later viewing. :)

cheers man :)

Ive just recently started to actively post videos, and im open for any suggestions for games or any improvements I could make, so both negative and positive feedback is mostly welcome :)

I think the main thing required for this type of play is a decent 'low-tier' weapon, or at the very least, unlimited ammo in that weapon.

Perhaps Doom 1 /2 would be good, allowing you to use fist, chainsaw, berserk pack and pistol only on all levels? Nightmare is a brutally hard mode, too, so some later levels will be true feats. (Doom 2, map02 would be impressive thanks to the hitscan punishment you get. :P)

woah, doom 2 maybe really impossible to pass, taking in consideration moments - I barely remember doom 2, but for example cyberdemon with bazilions hp in a small room :P Idea nonetheless challenging, may give it a try some day :)

Not even that. Good luck beating map07 (Full of monsters who are extremely hard to hit with melee AND all of them must be killed once!0

^ It's for reasons like this the pistol should still be allowed, since every single other weapon practically nullifies it's use in normal gameplay.

5:10 - Wtf haha

9:00 - Drunk Cacodemon

Yeah I subscribed. There is something immensely satisfying and hilarious about watching demons get whacked to death by a flashlight.

Thud, thud...

Edited by RUSH

On 4.04.2017 at 5:50 AM, RUSH said:

5:10 - Wtf haha

9:00 - Drunk Cacodemon

Well yeah, I was getting shocked myself sometimes about monsters' strange behaviour.. Trites blowing up themselves, pinky getting stuck all the time, chainsaw zombie running on electric tracks and stuff like that :)

Moreover, while playing I was often using other monsters to fight between each other, and until know I can't really figure out how it works. Ive even made a little research:

1) Some monsters are - as I would say - aggressive, some are passive. Aggressive ones which will fight back: Cocademon, Revenant, Arch-Vile, Hell-knight. Passive - supposedly - are the rest. I do not know about Mancubus, he has always popped up in places without aggressive monsters. Frankly, he showed up only alone or with Cherubs.

2) Aggressive ones will not fight another aggressive type. Exception to this rule is Revenant, which attacks everyone except his own types.

I may be wrong in some cases, but I really admire those "rules" among demons.

On the top of that, if you spend a little time with monsters it seems each has its own life and own "issues". All of this makes this game so unique :D

Edited by qbanic

On 4/5/2017 at 3:01 AM, qbanic said:

Well yeah, I was getting shocked myself sometimes about monsters' strange behaviour.. Trites blowing up themselves, pinky getting stuck all the time, chainsaw zombie running on electric tracks and stuff like that :)

Moreover, while playing I was often using other monsters to fight between each other, and until know I can't really figure out how it works. Ive even made a little research:

1) Some monsters are - as I would say - aggressive, some are passive. Aggressive ones which will fight back: Cocademon, Revenant, Arch-Vile, Hell-knight. Passive - supposedly - are the rest. I do not know about Mancubus, he has always popped up in places without aggressive monsters. Frankly, he showed up only alone or with Cherubs.

2) Aggressive ones will not fight another aggressive type. Exception to this rule is Revenant, which attacks everyone except his own types.

I may be wrong in some cases, but I really admire those "rules" among demons.

On the top of that, if you spend a little time with monsters it seems each has its own life and own "issues". All of this makes this game so unique :D

Infighting is a tiered system in Doom 3. Monsters with a lower rank number will not fight back when provoked by monsters that have a higher rank.

On 8.04.2017 at 2:06 AM, SteelPH said:

Infighting is a tiered system in Doom 3. Monsters with a lower rank number will not fight back when provoked by monsters that have a higher rank.

Brilliant. More games like Doom or more Dooms 

Yeah, you're crazy all right. :) I've been replaying Doom 3 somewhat recently, making it a tentative goal to beat it on Nightmare without dying. I've gotten pretty good, and I think the farthest I've gotten so far was the Monorail (or maybe one of the Recycling levels?). It's somewhat interesting to compare attempting that with playing Doom 2016 on Ultra-Nightmare, which I've also attempted, but not yet succeeded. (Got just past the first Hell level.)

But this? This is a level of freakish masochism even I would never undertake. 

16 hours ago, Caffeine Freak said:

beat it on Nightmare without dying.

Oh, I died in my playthrough. Sometimes.. Over, and over, and over again :D

There were few moments that Ive almost gave up -

1) In Recycling fight with Mancubuses, I haven't ever realised that you have a timer until the area gets rather.. polluted, and I needed to rush to beat em up with flashlight which deals 40 dmg against 1000 hp of Mancubus.

2) Hell - As funny as it sounds, three imps on the beginning gave me a really hard time. Also few moments later, two imps together with lost souls all over the place

3) CPU Complex, the very beginning with bazillions of monsters

4) Caverns Area 1 - Commandos with Miniguns are impossible to kill with flashlight, and there are really lots of them there. If I would mark the hardest moment in my playthrough, this would get the first reward. :)

On 4/3/2017 at 10:43 PM, RUSH said:

Flashlight is so OP

I thought you were trolling until I saw the video... 

Pretty sure that the Hell invasion would have failed if everyone on the Mars base was armed with a flashlight. 

This is one of the most inspiring run-throughs I have ever watched (doom 3 related, that is) So good and it's very relaxing to see you play through this so "easily"

On 11.04.2017 at 1:13 PM, qbanic said:

In Recycling fight with Mancubuses, I haven't ever realised that you have a timer until the area gets rather.. polluted, and I needed to rush to beat em up with flashlight which deals 40 dmg against 1000 hp of Mancubus.

Recycling really has a timer? I always thought it's just Betruger taunting you in vain, and Doomguy coughing a bit, to make you think you need to hurry...  but actually if you hang around for too long, you get poisoned?

On 9/9/2017 at 1:59 PM, printz said:

Recycling really has a timer? I always thought it's just Betruger taunting you in vain, and Doomguy coughing a bit, to make you think you need to hurry...  but actually if you hang around for too long, you get poisoned?

You get -5hp every second.. As far as I remember

@7:45 4 seconds more, enjoying mancubus fight and I would need to restart level :D

PS. Eventually started Doom (2016).. Lack of quick saves is challenging my patience :/

4 minutes ago, qbanic said:

PS. Eventually started Doom (2016).. Lack of quick saves is challenging my patience :/

Good luck, I'm not sure it can be done in purity with the bosses.

Thanks :D As long as possible, I will stick to melee attacks, otherwise if Im stuck I will use pistol as any means necessary

And yet, people still do insane things in videogames every day, this is amazing. You should do a complete walkthrough of the game with your bare hands, even in Veteran it would be fantastic! 

On 9/23/2017 at 5:57 PM, Anidrex_1009 said:

And yet, people still do insane things in videogames every day, this is amazing. You should do a complete walkthrough of the game with your bare hands, even in Veteran it would be fantastic! 

Flashlight OP? :D

Doable of course, difference is it would take twice as much to kill (fists 20hp dmg, flashlight 40hp dmg) 

to ones that follow: I am stuck on the last wave before spider mastermind, haven't used guns on monsters so far.. Monsters infighting and, what I call "stucking" monsters is coming very handy :D

I think I am stuck on this wave for over 3 weeks now, I hold my nerves on the line to be entitled to brag in the future, but this is by far the most ridiculous thing I have ever done in my gaming career. I wonder if I will find a weakness or a way to beat SM without guns :( Fingers crossed guys

Actually I think Sarge is possible to be beaten with the flashlight too . Same strategy to keep him stuck in a melee animation. Only problem is that he is always moving and the melee range is pretty big.

In theory, yes. However, Sarges bfg attack is completely on other level, because I simply cannot dodge it. My hp would run hundred times faster than his :D

Believe me I tried multiple runs, it is undoable, unless I am missing some glitch I could use

PS. My post was refering to Doom (2016)