Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrthejoshmon

Standard E1 Replacement Community Project Is Cancelled.

The length of my map might be more suited towards the e1m3 slot (edit: since e1m3 just opened up), but that would be your call, mr. project leader man. I wouldn't mind, and it would be super neat to get to add a secret exit nevermind it's fine for e1m6

If I have to reduce the difficulty, that's fine by me.

The first finished version of my map is almost complete, I'll have it up within 1-3 hours (maybe).

edit: i am truly a liar

Edited by bonnie

it's done here it is oh man: (EDIT:) call it "going down the slow way", but if you want a more serious name choose "liquid synthesizing plant".

The final area of the map takes a much different tone than the previous areas, and might not fit the theme. If needed, I will certainly alter the textures to fit episode 1/2 more. I haven't actually playtested this final version, as when I finished the layout I made one final playtest on UV while getting no secrets and fixing bugs and making slight changes along the way. I died in the final room, so I made it slightly easier and called it a day without playtesting any of the slight changes and fixes I had made. (with the many secrets I put in, this level should be easy, but it's still possible w/o them. also, in the hill place area, i think i made a secret WAY too obvious. if it is as obvious as i'm thinking, tell me and i'll make it less obvious.)

Because the layout is finished, I'd say this map is finished. I'll make changes if there are big problems or if people have feedback that could make the map better (that don't involve remaking most of the map holy heck!!!!!). Otherwise, this map is ready to go. Had tons of fun making it. Won't have as much fun when people hate it.

Edited by bonnie

@bonnie Did another FDA, or FDE, of your updated map without getting stuck this time. Visuals look much better with additional texture variety and gameplay is fun. I noticed a large missing texture before the stairs raise into the upper building as far as bugs go. Missed quite a bit of content too and had 65% kills by the end. Looks like a large map if going for a casual max blind since my demo was still 25 minutes or so.

gdtfw_S01_FDA.zip

On 4/16/2017 at 0:27 AM, Spectre01 said:

I noticed a large missing texture before the stairs raise into the upper building as far as bugs go.

heck

Edited by bonnie

I did an FDA: gdtsw_rdwpa_fda.zip

Woke up recently so the ending fights have some sloppy damage tanking. Yeah it's a long map; I got to the exit in about ~24 mins but spent an additional 3 minutes doing a circuit around the level because I forgot completely about that tiny exit switch at the beginning. Otherwise, progression was intuitive -- it's a simple layout, mostly, and most of the length can be attributed to the rooms being so ginormous. The high body count was mostly fun to blast through, though, nothing too tedious. There was one large room infested with monsters, including lots of perched shotgunners, and I decided to doorcamp that one; you could probably ditch most of those shotgunners. Definitely a marked improvement in quality from your previous maps.

Version 3 of e1m8 is finally here!

Changelog:

-Rebalanced the first encounter to progressively spawn enemies and be less of a death trap.

-Spammed more hexagons in the nukage pit to improve navigation and escape.

-Added more rocket ammo.

-New secret #4 now rewards killing all the Barons.

-Platforming section is slightly easier.

-Boss fight triggers earlier.

-Misc. QoL fixes.

-Additional "detailing for the sake of detailing" detailing.

One map slot is free?
I've done with my current map so you can count me in.
It was long time ago when I build maps for D1. Probably I have some ideas for secret exit. I need a rest from these hordes of chaingunners with archviles and create something doom1-ish.

Can i claim e1m3? 

Edited by ChaingunnerX : I was inattentive, sorry.

7 minutes ago, ChaingunnerX said:

Can i claim e1m3? 

dear best friend,

please read the 3 posts above yours. don't worry @mrthejoshmon is just a slow salad and hasn't updated the op yet, that's why it still says the slot is        open. he hasn't even updated it to say that my map is done yet, the bastard.

-love, bonnie

5 minutes ago, Sgt Jack V said:

I honestly assumed this was vanilla. It wasn't.

well i mean like

limit removing is sorta vanilla :(

15 minutes ago, Sgt Jack V said:

I got a visplane overflow in the first map in Chocolate Doom.

Yes. It's limit removing, not fully vanilla.

Have progress on my map "Main reckon facility", E1M3 replacement.

Some WIP screenshots:

Spoiler

Some sketches.
ZShpMOu.jpg

j4uy3va.jpg

KX89iNN.jpg
It looks like huge map but there just enough space to explore.

-No barons in this map. And I will not recommend other authors use them until E1M6 at least. Cause of maps balance.

-There is only one teleporter in map.
-The map will be designed in that way when player will not accidentally goes out via secret exit.
-I hope gameplay will be closer to E1 style, with slightly increased monster count. Zombiemen, computers, comfy closets, e.t.c... No plutonish stuff this time, seriously!

@Sgt Jack V
Making an full-vanilla compatible map pack can be huge pain in the butt for some mappers. There will be VPO errors, tutti-frutti errors, medusa, e.t.c.

@Spectre01
I tried your map. Design is OK but too many monsters in one place. May be also add some columns, and hide-and-seek places.

@mrthejoshmon
Please update the first post.

Edited by riderr3

Almost three. Yes, I've damn fast when in Doom mood, have an plenty ideas this time. But this is still WIP, inside buildings only geometry is added.

Also I can share fastest method to make a maps, step-by-step:

-Make a sketches of all map from top-down.
-Manage elevations and brightness.
-Place some things in order not to forget their location later. Like a markers.
-Add some tags and actions.
-Choose textures.
-Add remained stuff and test your map.

any progress reports on the maps, dearest friends?

Edited by bonnie

I won't be (nor do I expect this CP to be) done within a month; I'd suggest taking this time to further polish your map :)

23 minutes ago, Fonze said:

I'd suggest taking this time to further polish your map :)

I've actually been thinking about that for a couple days now. I really don't like my map. It's highly under-detailed and isn't even remotely like episode 1. I'm still a new mapper so I'm actually pretty much incapable of making this map any better, and I really don't want to bog down the quality of this project just because I'm too new and not good enough.

I'm dropping out of this project. Thanks for having me anyways.

Just now, bonnie said:

I've actually been thinking about that for a couple days now. I really don't like my map. It's highly under-detailed and isn't even remotely like episode 1. I'm still a new mapper so I'm actually pretty much incapable of making this map any better, and I really don't want to bog down the quality of this project just because I'm too new and not good enough.

I wouldn't say the map is beyond a bit of lovin', just go in and tweak some things; you've done good so far :)

36 minutes ago, Fonze said:

I wouldn't say the map is beyond a bit of lovin', just go in and tweak some things; you've done good so far :)

It's not a matter of tweaking things, it's a matter of doing a massive overhaul that I'm not capable of. I don't even know where to start.

As it stands, I'm still dropping out. Sorry friend.

1 hour ago, bonnie said:

I don't really get why you don't think the map isn't e1 in style. It fits the bill of a tech base. It's not like this project is dtwid where it has to exactly match Romero's mapping style. 

5 minutes ago, NecrumWarrior said:

I don't really get why you don't think the map isn't e1 in style. It fits the bill of a tech base. It's not like this project is dtwid where it has to exactly match Romero's mapping style. 

The first section has some computers in it, while the rest is just some random nonsense. One part is literally just hell themed. Also, I have found that I greatly dislike making techbases, so that would only add to the massive undertaking that would be needed to revise my map.

1 hour ago, bonnie said:

the massive undertaking that would be needed to revise my map.

I think you are misunderstanding the process of building maps; most maps start off plain and basic, as basic shapes to establish a layout/flow. Much as when making a statue, you start with a hunk of just, thing, and take the excess off of it, leaving a beautiful statue uncovered by the material surrounding it. You have a good layout to work with and refine into something you can be more proud of; I like how the overall path loops around the level, for example. The areas could perhaps be made smaller, with more vantage points to other areas in the map (like windows), and the monster placement redone, but monster placement itself goes really quick when you consider the roles each monster fills. A bit more height variation shouldn't be too difficult to add considering the space available within the map's current form and will also help to detail the map by itself. Stuff like this is a good way to learn, though, as long as you can get a good stream of feedback on it, but at the same time dont let this hold you back from making more maps; practice does wonders for all of us :)

@Xaser, do you still have that pic album with text from when you helped the Ilya? If so, that was something I personally found to be helpful for creating more interesting areas and it might be helpful for you too, bonnie.