Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CapnClever

Evolution of the WAD - a show about Doom mapping

Really enjoyed what I caught of the first episode. I'm hoping that it's a long-lived series! There's certainly a lot of raw material out there. :D

I listened to a good chunk of it, pretty insane that people can not only talk about Doom maps for almost 4 hours, but one particular Doom mapper and make it interesting and insightful (well, relatively speaking).

Nitpick: "Current mapset: The Ultimate Doom" is still displayed while playing Doom 2 and D2TWID.
EDIT: Just noticed it in the video's description.
Anyway, nice. Just, the video will always be 100% gameplay footage, or will there occasionally be (brief views of) map editor / pictures / videos related to the discussed topic?

Edited by scifista42

CapnClever, I like the concept of your show and I will be watching it. Probably I will get to know more about my favourite game, which is always good. And I think there are tons of ways you could branch out in your episodes, so you will not be running out of content anytime soon. That said, I wish everything goes as you plan it to for the series.

This was really good overall.   I like the suggestion above of showing brief views of the map in question in an editor (or switch to an in-game map if that's not possible).   Looking forward to the next one.

I've been hearing the episode for a while, it's quite fascinating, im really looking forward for the next episode.

Good stuff, i really dig it

10 hours ago, scifista42 said:

...the video will always be 100% gameplay footage, or will there occasionally be (brief views of) map editor / pictures / videos related to the discussed topic?

Just about all cases will be gameplay footage, as most of the interactions with commentators will come from watching and reacting to said gameplay. (If they have something they want to mention, I can easily go to that part of the map and show it.) Other items will be included when deemed necessary: for example, if we had a topic on "maps that are good to speedrun", I'd spend time playing back demos after showing off each map. I'm not sure what a map editor would help to show that IDCLIP'd gameplay, freelook, and an IDDT'd automap can't, but I'll ask around.

I will also try to display textures on the sidebar when names are brought up. Not everyone knows what METAL2 and ZIMMER4 refer to, after all.

Glad to see so many of you enjoy it! Unlike this very first attempt, my goal is to hover around two hours per episode (which I believe to be an appropriate amount time for this format). Don't expect a new episode every week: rather, the goal is to get one out every month, though it could be more than that at times. I'll post roughly a day before a new episode will air on my Twitch channel, then edit that post with the YouTube upload when it's up. Eventually I'll get a playlist going for easy navigation in the first post.

Listened to some today and it was very entertaining. I would love to see an episode about the Gothic map style, which hammered in a myriad of editing tricks and cliches years after they were released. 

Cool video

Taking the time to look at and discuss the IWAD levels really helps shine a light on how influential Sandy is to Doom. Especially because he was so innovative with everything, he's probably more responsible than anyone else for pioneering the huge wave of community made PWADs after it. He demonstrated through silly experimentation how dynamic everything is which most likely what fueled everyone's creativity to use Doom's stuff for things other than what they were probably designed for.

Theres probably no map like barrels of fun in Duke Nukem 3D even though it has explosives in it and the engine is perfectly capable of making it. Doom just kinda shows there's really no reason something cant exist reasonably in the game because Sandy already pushed the limits of suspended disbelief in the game and its still cool and fun.

I look forward to more of these.

Also, are these gonna be done semi-regularly, or just whenever the time shows up for it?

Love the concept. There's loads of material for you to cover here. If there's any interest in deathmatch mapping and how that's changed over the years, I can definitely provide some information/example mapsets. Will be keeping an eye on this one!

On 4/10/2017 at 11:23 AM, NoisyVelvet said:

Also, are these gonna be done semi-regularly, or just whenever the time shows up for it?

On 4/5/2017 at 4:01 PM, CapnClever said:

Don't expect a new episode every week: rather, the goal is to get one out every month, though it could be more than that at times. I'll post roughly a day before a new episode will air on my Twitch channel, then edit that post with the YouTube upload when it's up.

That said, I didn't specify an approximate time. Usually (though I'm expecting exceptions) the live episode will occur on Saturday nights, relative to GMT-4, as that's generally the most convenient scheduling point. The YouTube upload should happen within a day of airing.

20 hours ago, Doomkid said:

If there's any interest in deathmatch mapping and how that's changed over the years, I can definitely provide some information/example mapsets.

We will be asking for additional/guest commentators as specialty topics come up. If your expertise is in demand, I'll send a PM at least 1 week, hopefully more like 2-3, in advance. In particular, some topics will be entirely about a mapper from the community, in which case I'd be excited to have said mapper be a part of commentary.

2 hours ago, CapnClever said:

In particular, some topics will be entirely about a mapper from the community, in which case I'd be excited to have said mapper be a part of commentary.

this - in depth breakdown of pwad authors' maps - is the thing i'm most excited for. the original id mappers' styles have been analyzed so thoroughly by this point, so i'm really looking forward to seeing who gets picked out and discussed for this.

You can probably turn 90% of pwad mapping characteristics into 6 degrees of Nick Baker, given the amount of touchstone releases he's been a part of.

Really makes you think, though.  Some maps or map-sets are released and they make a huge splash at the time,  but may not necessarily translate to generating a whole lot of influence.  Identifying mainstays of common map attributes and tracing them back to their source can almost qualify as an anthropology expedition, given the amount of wads that are out there.  

Next episode's set! Catch the live recording on Saturday, April 15, starting 9PM EDT (UTC-4) over at https://www.twitch.tv/capnclever. The YouTube upload will be available by April 17.

The topic: Dead Simple clones. We'll be discussing ubiquitous MAP07 idiosyncrasies started by Doom II and present in so very many mapsets after. Does the concept stand the test of time? We'll find out!

EDIT: YouTube video is up! Check it out here. Original post has also been updated with a YouTube playlist for easy navigation.

Edited by CapnClever : VIDEO IS UP Y'ALL

Okay Cap, how much did Tarnsman pay you to dedicate an episode entirely to this subject

:P

Watched the whole first episode the other day, really dug it! Can't wait to see more.

just watched the new show on YouTube, another outstanding episode.   The tighter focus really works.  

I always remember loving Evolution of the Wad whenever Dime would get around to doing episodes, even though some of them got derailed massively. It's nice to see this rebooted.

32 minutes ago, Rhymes w/ Lux said:

some of them got derailed massively. It's nice to see this rebooted.

i prefer minimal werehog cum, and more pedantic doom talk.

in all seriousness though, first two episodes were great.  keep it up.

18 minutes ago, NoisyVelvet said:

i prefer minimal werehog cum, and more pedantic doom talk.

in all seriousness though, first two episodes were great.  keep it up.

Was inviting naegleria my worst or best idea for Evo of the Wad, I can't decide to this day.

4 hours ago, Rhymes w/ Lux said:

I always remember loving Evolution of the Wad whenever Dime would get around to doing episodes, even though some of them got derailed massively. It's nice to see this rebooted.

If Capn would get lost more we could delve into the wonderful world of eugenics proper.

Haven't watched the whole thing, but from what I've seen, this is great.  

I could listen to people dissect Doom maps for hours... while I enjoy the doom radio intermission stuff, this is definitely filling a void that Tarnsman / Alfonzo doom radio episodes from several years ago filled, and which has been largely lacking otherwise.