Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CapnClever

Evolution of the WAD - a show about Doom mapping

New episode of Evolution of the WAD at a slightly different time! Head over to https://www.twitch.tv/capnclever today, June 17 starting at 6:00PM EDT (UTC-4).

This episode will be Map Openers, looking at the opening shots and scenes on display at the very beginning of a map.

I really like the concept of the history of a game and the community that surrounds it as the game grows, so this is a great thing for me to find as it discusses all of these things. Keep up the good work my friend!

36 minutes ago, CapnClever said:

This episode will be Map Openers, looking at the opening shots and scenes on display at the very beginning of a map.

Good concept, how many maps are you going to cover?

Due to some only-slightly-expected circumstances, Evo will be delayed for some hours. I'll be sure to post a status update ~15 minutes before we get started, so keep an eye out for that.

EDIT: Oh, and as usual you can expect the YouTube upload by Monday, June 19.

Edited by CapnClever

Video's up!

Took a bit longer to get online see as how I had significant cuts to make due to technical problems during the original airing. This one's a bit scatter-brained, and I really do want to create a shorter, more focused episode next time. Apologies if it's not quite as enjoyable to follow along as others have been.

Yeah this one has been organized just a day prior and the content was hastily assembled in the few last hours before the show. Not exactly the most responsible approach, but I understand the desire to get on track with regular updates after that Hexen hub 5 week torture, heh.

These are really interesting. Any ideas on what the next episode will be, whenever it happens?

These have been great. Looking forward to the next episode!

I look forward to the inevitable deep dive on Romero maps :)

Capn's at SDGQ this week and he said he won't be able to make the next weekend either, so you'll have to bear with us a bit!

Very long interesting videos. I like Hexen and DOOM videos. I didn't know there was a DOOM for Hexen with hubs. Neat! More please! :D

Time to bring this show back from its unintentional hiatus! The seventh episode of Evolution of the WAD will take place August 5 at 9:00PM EDT (UTC-4).

This topic, namely that of the immortal TeamTNT, will actually stretch over the next few episodes in an attempt to experiment with multi-episode topics. This particular episode will primarily involve some brief introductions to their work and then dive straight into their earliest and most well-known megawad, TNT: Evilution. See you there!

Edited by CapnClever : run-on sentence

17 hours ago, CapnClever said:

Evilution episode tonight.

I'm glad the show is back, and it's about something I've actually played as well!

YouTube video's up!

As there will be various episodes covering this topic in full, we should be back on a 2-week per episode schedule (possibly sooner depending on commentator availability) at least until the topic series is over.

EDIT: You'll notice that the first ten minutes looks rather garbo: I messed up the encoder settings and overloaded my CPU (yes this is possible when you have two streams and a recording going simultaneously on a 6yo machine). It clears up, and fortunately the audio wasn't damaged, so bear with it and the other two hours come out fine.

Time for the next topic in the TeamTNT series! The eighth episode of Evolution of the WAD will take place August 26 at 7:00PM EDT (UTC-4).

Moving onwards, the subject of this episode shall be Icarus: Alien Vanguard and Eternal DOOM. Do they hold up to the revered Evilution? Are they any good at all? Tune in and find out!

I really like the chill, thinking vibe of the series, it's really enjoyable to just listen to, and i learned some pretty cool things from it, keep it up ;) 

Episode 8 had some discussion on the mysterious history of Eternal Doom's development. I dunno why but I find this interesting, I wonder if anyone can shed some light on to it?

My own personal and very foggy memory is that Eternal Doom had nothing to do with Team TNT for the first two releases. I remember a separate webpage for the team, and it was a mess of wads and patches to get from version 1 to 3 and even then I think there were additional bugfix patches beyond that.

Some more vague memories that need correcting/confirmation: I'm thinking the main "Team TNT" stamp on the project was to host it, and bring a better packaging presentation, with everything all in one wad and supplied with the batch frontend level selector thingy. Also the demo compilation was a TNT production and a big deal to help people figure stuff out, given the wad's pathological switch-hunting. I suspect ED I/II/III was finished independently of TNT (since I'm pretty sure I first got episode III from their non TNT webpage), and only entered the TNT umbrella at a later point because some TNT members were contributors (Ty and Flynn?).

edit: paging Doctor @Soundblock - please dispel the mysteries sir!

Edited by Vorpal

You can see at this archived page that Team Eternal (not to be confused with Team Eternity) were the main drive behind Eternal Dooms I and II. I was, however, able to find a Usenet posting authored by Ty Halderman that suggests TeamTNT were working with Team Eternal by the release of Eternal Doom II. So it's hard to say who exactly was involved with the in-between business: Eternal Doom I was definitely Team Eternity only, and Eternal Doom III was TeamTNT, but the interim is unclear.

It utterly slipped my mind to post the incoming message regarding a new episode, for which I apologize.

The next Evolution of the WAD is already on YouTube! It's a showcasing and discussion on TeamTNT's Boom engine and its feature set, and how it was used back then (as well as a peek into how it's used now).

Episode 9: TeamTNT - The BOOM Engine

On 9/1/2017 at 12:33 AM, CapnClever said:

Eternal Doom I was definitely Team Eternity only, and Eternal Doom III was TeamTNT, but the interim is unclear.

Well, yes and no. :) ETERNAL II was already in late testing phases when Ty contacted us about the merger. At this point only Bob Evans Silures wasn´t ready to go. So the influence of TeamTNT was only marginally at this point.

But off course we were very proud that the best Teanm back then wanted to hire us and I still wear my virtual TNT-hat proudly. :) But I already mentioned all this in a (still unanswered - shame, shame, shame ;) )PM on youtube to you. 

BTW I love the series. :)

WOW THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR, AND IT'S LIKE THREE HOURS A POP!!

It's sad the series seems to be dead, but Capn still checks Doomworld. He just hasn't posted in a minute.

I'm only on episode 1, but I hope they put more content out. This series just changed my perspective on Sandy Peterson, he truly is the most underrated level designer. I'm excited to crunch through this while mapping !

This show was excellent, I really wish they were able to do more; but the sheer length of these coupled with their other projects at the time must have been exhausting.  It's too bad, as it's rare to find thought provoking and intelligent debate over game and level design by level designers.  

Looks like I should re-watch these as it's been awhile.