Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NBarnes

WadAuthor

Heyo, folks. Total newbie here, trying to get into Doom editing. I downloaded WadAuthor and wanted to give it a spin, but whenever I make a new sector using it, it falls over dead with an error reading, 'The instruction at "0x0041fb92" referenced memory at "0x000000018". The memory could not be "read".' I've also tried ZETH, but when it tries to go to GUI mode to edit a map, it falls over dead to my desktop, no error, application exit. It does this both on a Win NT 4.0 and a Win95 box.

Is this a known issue for WadAuthor? Is there a good editor that works with NT 4.0?

Sounds like you want to edit ZDoom, huh?

Wadauthor works fine under NT/2k/XP as long as you have a decent WCF file and you use zwadconv to convert the IWAD to ZDoom's format. I think anyway.

ZarcyB, bigbadgansta,

I was using the .wcf file that's posted for download from ZDoom's site. I double checked bigbadgangsta's link and it had a pair of different .wcfs for use with WadAuthor and ZDoom. So I tried them and the one named zdoomold.wcf is working. Seems bizzare to me that the older one is working (but, then, I have some serious questions/doubts about the validity of some of what's posted http://zdoom.notgod.com/index.php for use).

In any case, things seem to be fixed now. Thanks, guys.

NBarnes said:

Heyo, folks. Total newbie here, trying to get into Doom editing. I downloaded WadAuthor and wanted to give it a spin, but whenever I make a new sector using it, it falls over dead with an error reading, 'The instruction at "0x0041fb92" referenced memory at "0x000000018". The memory could not be "read".' I've also tried ZETH, but when it tries to go to GUI mode to edit a map, it falls over dead to my desktop, no error, application exit. It does this both on a Win NT 4.0 and a Win95 box.

Is this a known issue for WadAuthor? Is there a good editor that works with NT 4.0?

If you're trying to edit ZDoom with WadAuthor, you need to look at the following page:

http://zdoom.notgod.com/zdkb/zdoom4.html

which tells you what files to get and how to set up WA for ZDoom editing.

Sounds like the gang has given you the needed tips, but just in case some basics would help:

1. Decide if you want to edit "vanilla doom" maps or something more advanced such as boom or zdoom.

2. Get and apply (in WA) the appropriate .wcf file.

3. For zdoom editing, you need a "converted" iwad...usually doom2.wad, converted to Hexen format.

4. Use the tool zwadconv.exe to convert the iwad, as in zwadconv doom2.wad d2hack.wad and then edit the zdoom.wcf file to point to it, like this

[WadGame]
Name=ZDoom (Hex)
IWAD=zdiwhack.wad <------- my converted doom2.wad
NewMap=MAP01
Directory=C:\Games\editors\zdoom <------- where it is

5. Now, when you start a new map with WA, it will be created in zdoom-hexen format (the commonly-used format).

6. Other maps (pwads) can be converted to this format using zwadconv.exe. Then, you can use the advanced zdoom features, scripts, etc.