Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I made another wad. Most of the criticism about my previous wad was that it was too easy, and enemy placement was shitty. This time I tried to make it more challengeling, but difficulty levels are still there. It's only one map this time, but I just wanted to try making something playable this time. I hope you enjoy it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZvGbeuQZHCLXh0YWg2SDNEUEk/view?usp=sharing

It takes less than 2 minutes to finish it, and if you are into speedruns, you can finish it in less than 10 seconds (my UVspeed record is 0:07). 

and if you are into terrywads, then I made a joke version of this wad. This is my first time trying to make this kind of stuff, so it's not that funny, as it could be. Hope you'll enjoy it anyway.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZvGbeuQZHCRlB1cW54MlR0ZHc/view?usp=sharing

I used the midi version of kashmir, ripped from nuts.wad, because I like it very much.

Oh, and it's vanilla compatible. Doom 2/freedoom 2 required.

If you didn't liked it, please tell me why. I want to become better in making doom maps. I'll appreciate every criticism. Good luck.

Edited by stasiowygrzybek

I'll play it when I get home and I'm gonna give you so much frickin postive feedback because I just know deep in my heart that you've made a great frickin map and even if you didn't that's okay because we love you and will nurture you friend :)

also

4 hours ago, stasiowygrzybek said:

and if you are into terrywads, then I made a joke version of this wad. This is my first time trying to make this kind of stuff, so it's not that funny, as it could be. Hope you'll enjoy it anyway.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZvGbeuQZHCRlB1cW54MlR0ZHc/view?usp=sharing

what the heck who the heck is into terrywads you frickin noodle

Edited by bonnie

Wow. Thank you for so much confidence in my skills. It's not anything special though, so I hope you won't get dissapointed.

You're not going to get very many takers with that terry wad. 'Joke' and 'terry wad' should never, ever be used in the same sentence. At least you told us what that second wad was ahead of time, but that's little comfort knowing that there's one more of these terry wads out there to avoid like the plague they are.

That first one though, I might try it in a couple of hours or so.

I knida like terry wads. They are funny. Keep in mind that this wad was made mostly for learning purpouses, so making a terry version kinda helped me with discovering how to use custom textures and sounds.  Still, I am really sorry if I made you mad by making yet another terrywad. I apologise.

That's fine. Most people really don't like terry wads, especially when they are passed off as a normal wadfile. I'm not actually mad since you did tell us what it was beforehand. And if you make terry wads for learning purposes or humor (such as it is), I don't have any actual problems with that. Though if you passed that terry wad as a normal wadfile, there would most certainly have been problems. Anyway, as I said, you're not going to get many takers on that second link, excect those with morbid curiosity or a really odd sense of humor.

I played it best friend :)

It had everything. the ground, the sky, walls, enemies, guns, traps, lava, you name it.

On top of that, you said it was beatable in under 10 seconds, and you were frickin right. Vanilla compatible? You were heckin RIGHT. You're a man of your word, that's what I like about you. Whenever I see people, I always tell them: "stasiowygrzybek? The most honest man I've ever met. Great doom wads, too."

It was perfect. Easily one of the best maps I've ever frickin played man, you're makin me so proud of you ;~;

actual non-meme feedback: it was pretty good for your second(?) map, good use of traps and a nice moderate difficulty. I misread your original post where you said it was beatable in under 10 seconds and thought it said 30, so when I saw the buildings (the red bricks looked like separate buildings in the distance) at the end of the level, I thought we were actually going somewhere but we weren't. :(

The enemies were nice, the traps were nice, the secret was nice, it was all pretty nice overall for your second(?) map, and I have just 3 things for you improve on (baby steps, ya know?):

1. the textures were somewhat strange, like the cement texture walls and the lava floor and the bricks and the stuff. try picking more uniform, related textures in future wads

2. the lava shouldn't be a 20 damage floor, especially with the pillars that kept tricking me into thinking they were lifts.

3. finish your map ;~; I want you to extend it into that building friend, you're goin somewhere with this, and I like it :3

8/10 (for your second[?] map, that is)

You didn't misread that "beatable in 30 seconds"

I just changed that to 10 seconds because I tried speedrunning it, and got to the end in 7.

this is actually my 7th map. My first wad, zenout.wad, contained six of my first maps, in order of making, so you can check it out if you want, but there are a lot of newbie mistakes there, so it's not that good.

Thank you very much for pointing those things that you didn't like. It will be very helpful in making future maps. This map was made just to check if my monster/ammo/secret placement style is playable, so I am very happy knowing that you actually liked it. I appreciate that. I think finishing this map wouldn't be so bad idea, considering that there are a lot of things that could be finished, like this final building. I'll be posting updates about this map as soon as I do some progress. Thank you again for playing, and reviewing this map.  

oh and I won't make any more progress about that terry version. I learned what I wanted, so there is no reason for me to continue doing that.

I agree with #2, but for a slightly different reason. It should be less damage so you would have a chance to make it to those lifts. If you fell off at the end, it's a long way back there, and you will most likely not make it. Also, throw in some more lifts at the other end.

The textures weren't too bad, but I noticed the arches aren't the same thickness at the top all the way through. The first one looks quite thin at the top, with each one getting progressively thicker.

And finally, I didn't like the music.

The music is ripped straight from nuts.wad. Unfortunetly I am not good at making music, so I just used something that sounded good to me. 

about those arches. Actually, ceillings are just progressively lower. I didn't do anything with the sky height.

you both are right with this point about lava that should do less damage. I'll fix this in next version. The lifts were on only one end of the hole because I wanted the player to come across every single arch. I'll try to find a solution to this problem.

Thank you both :) 

Maybe tie the forward lifts to that center switch right before the exit. When that area rises up, the lifts would too. Also, maybe put something there to give people an incentive to go down there.

3 minutes ago, stasiowygrzybek said:

Unfortunetly I am not good at making music, so I just used something that sounded good to me. 

Nobody is. Except for musicians.

The only genre that I am confident enough to make, is a dark ambient. I thing it doesen't fit to doom, so I just won't make any music, for the time being. I'll just use the music found on the internet. 

14 hours ago, stasiowygrzybek said:

Most of the criticism about my previous wad was that it was too easy, and enemy placement was shitty.

I can't really agree with this criticism. Your maps were pretty easy, sure, but 'too easy' implies that it was handled in a bad way, and mostly they were quick and fun to blaze through, sort of like early maps in Scythe. As far as monster placement, I can't really remember anything that was offensive -- there were no meaty monsters to chew through with weak weapons, for example. If there is one major thing to improve it would be basic aesthetics and concourse. Your DMP2016 map had a big HOM, if you didn't realize it. 

I recorded a couple of demos for corridor.wad. UV-Max in 0:57, and NM-Speed in 0:06.88 (without SR50). In UV-Max the main idea is to set everything loose and get the mancs and HKs infighting, while handling the cacos. NM-Speed times are a bit faster than UV-Speed because the monsters are more likely to shoot you in the back, which pushes you forward, and the chaingunners stand and fire, which keeps them out of the way. I'm not so good at moving in precise angles, so I'd usually get 7.00-7.20, and there's a big difference between that and 6.88 in a map like this. 

In purely casual play, the map is pretty easy. One problem though is that the player will probably end up fighting 2800 HP worth of mancubi and cacos with the strongest weapon being the chaingun, which isn't really so fun since the spaciousness of the environment removes much of the threat. (The low-tier monsters are fine.) Also the layout isn't appealing -- it's a symmetrical lane. Your previous maps were stronger in both areas. I do think you have a talent, however, for making maps that are fun to speedrun in the same way that Scythe's maps often are.

Edited by rdwpa

Played this.

TBH this map is really too short, I can't really say anything. It doesn't have any drawbacks or qualities, it's just too short to have them.

It's not hard, it's not beautiful, it's not garbage, it isn't anything. It's literally just a straight line.

You need to make a map with more to it.

5/10.

The Terry version, however... I liked that one. I spotted a HOM in that room, though. 8/10.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/133877818 (the last wad covered in this playtest session)

Brief and somewhat dull I'm afraid. The two Mancubi at the end should not BOTH have teleported back to the start of the level whilst being a forward obstacle for the player. People in the livestream chat at the end gave some suggestions on how to improve this idea and make it better.

The idea is decent, but it needs more challenge and excitement to it. Even for speedrunning.