Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gifty

Adding Textures to Vanilla - CacheLumpNum Error

Question

Hey pals, I'm trying to put together a meager resource wad for some vanilla mapping, but every time I try to run it I get this startup error and a crash:

W_CacheLumpNum: 21276 >= Lumpnums

Custom textures were never my area of expertise, so I don't know what the problem is other than that it seems to originate from the PNAMES lump. I double and triple-checked to make sure my markers were all proper, I'm sure the problem is something incredibly stupid as this should be a simple task. Perchance some help?

(Here's the WAD in question)

3 answers to this question

Your PNAMES lump doesn't contain IWAD patch names, and as it overrides the IWAD's PNAMES, the game forgets all IWAD patch names and treats yours as the only ones that ever existed.

Thank you! Took a little trial and error but that sorted it out.

Edited by Gifty : spelling

I see now, I should have said more about what's needed to sort it out, so just for posterity: The order of patch names in PNAMES matters. If you replace PNAMES without replacing TEXTURE1, and the original PNAMES contained X patch names, then the first X patch names in the custom PNAMES must exactly match the names and order of the original PNAMES's patches. Then there can be additional custom patch names added after them. As TEXTUREx lumps refer to patch names merely by their order inside PNAMES, TEXTURE1 will still refer to the correct original patches, and TEXTURE2 can be made to refer to the original patches as well as the additional custom patches. The TEXTURE2 needs to be (re)made after the custom PNAMES are (re)ordered, though. So, the ideal solution would be: Remove the current PNAMES and TEXTURE2 from the wad, then copy the IWAD's PNAMES into the wad, then add the custom patches to it, then create a TEXTURE2 and make textures in it out of the patches.