Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Disorder

Interesting new Doom III facts

Hm, real-time level editing?

No sound hardware acceleration?

Sounds like the release date will be before the next E3.

Yeah, thx for the info m8!

The mp3 can be found here:

http://www.monstaquake.com/admins/railchu/John_Carmack_-_Quakecon_2002_Speech.mp3

Some more things (bound to repeat themselves):

Stressed the importance of 64/128-bit Color.

Reiterated that Doom III was/is designed around GeForce1-level hardware. He did state that there would be some things added to take advantage of next-generation hardware

The next iteration engine would be designed around a high-level shading language. He stated that, by and large, the various implementations (OpenGL/3DLabs, nVidia's CG) are identical.

Stated that he has written backend for NV30.

Similar to the high-level shading, Carmack is calling for a standardized Graphics API to prevent having to spend time in optimizing/specifying how to do certain things; rather, let the hardware driver figure out how to make the specific API call happen. He didn't mention specifics regarding CG, so I expect him to eventually throw his $.02 in the near future.

He stated that the ball is now in the artist/level-designer's corner, as the core technology is virtually complete, minus optimizations, etc.

Also, a cool report here:
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2877697,00.html

An intresting tidbit from there:

Doom III won't have objectives as simple as the original Doom game, which featured repeated quests for colored keycards, but there will be door puzzles. The computer consoles that control various parts of the base are actually quite sophisticated. As the player approaches a console, the weapon drops out of view and a cursor pops up on the console screen that can be controlled with the mouse. The animated console interface looks much like a Web page and an id developer mentioned that putting together the interface content is like working in Web HTML. There's a mission interface that pops up in the upper right part of the screen to show objectives that players have yet to accomplish. Despite these obstacles in the player's path and the deliberately slow movement speed, Carmack said that Doom III will not be "an extremely long game," but not as short as some recent shooters. He predicted that there will be those who may "obsessively" play through it in a weekend.

Also, more very intresting reports here:
http://www.gamespy.com/articles/august02/quakecon2002/carmack/
http://www.gamespy.com/articles/august02/quakecon2002/d3demo/

The gamespot article contains some interesting parts about the game environment. It also says it will have some outdoor areas, I´m very pleased to hear that confirmed :)

"The game will contain some outdoor areas, and Carmack pointed out that some graphics effects were specifically added to add realism to the sandy and rocky martian terrain. Carmack described sequences where players will be dumped out of the airlock into the thin martian atmosphere and must find safety before they suffocate."

I was disappointed to read the following:

"I had to leave a bit early before the end of the Q&A but reliable sources have informed me that Carmack mentioned that there will be support for only four people for the multiplayer modes in Doom III. Since id has always said the game will concentrate on single player this should come as no big surprise."

4 People? C'mon.. That sucks.

Multiplayer 4 players?

Nice to see multiplayer-obsessed people get a kick in the teeth for once.

Why?
Most games need decent multiplayer-support to keep the gamers playing. Probably Doom III will be on my HD for the rest of eternity, but most games without Multiplayer don't last that long. I like Multiplayer, is there something wrong with that?

Oh jeez guys, you know that people with some coding skills will program a launcher or something that allows more than 4 people. I hope so at least.

bigbadgangsta said:

Oh jeez guys, you know that people with some coding skills will program a launcher or something that allows more than 4 people. I hope so at least.

Not if its a limit of the .exe, like the original doom.

I don't care about DM, I just hope that someone will be able to build coop into Doom 3 - whether it's id themselves who actually ship Doom 3 with coop or a mod team who adds it later.

Yeah! That would be very, very nice.
Imagine yourself walking in one of those dark corridors with a bunch of friends slaying demons together..

Yum yum..

The thing is, well Every-one (including me) is going, I hope co-op is in there, but in all the interviews I've read, no-one has asked about co-op. AT ALL. I'd assume that has something to do with the "minimal multi-player" that id has told us, but why hasn't any-one actually ASKED? We think we know the answer, but we don't until some-one asks.

I like this piece:

The game will contain some outdoor areas, and Carmack pointed out that some graphics effects were specifically added to add realism to the sandy and rocky martian terrain. Carmack described sequences where players will be dumped out of the airlock into the thin martian atmosphere and must find safety before they suffocate.

I'm not too concerned with multiplayer. it was the single player experience that first poisoned my brain with the original Doom. I'm not sure what to expect from this game, even with all the interviews and shit, i just hope they don't let this very, very hardcore doomer down.

"Q - Will Doom III have multi-processor support?

A - Yes"

Cool, I was wondering about that.

Doom III won't have objectives as simple as the original Doom game, which featured repeated quests for colored keycards, but there will be door puzzles. The computer consoles that control various parts of the base are actually quite sophisticated. As the player approaches a console, the weapon drops out of view and a cursor pops up on the console screen that can be controlled with the mouse. The animated console interface looks much like a Web page and an id developer mentioned that putting together the interface content is like working in Web HTML. There's a mission interface that pops up in the upper right part of the screen to show objectives that players have yet to accomplish. Despite these obstacles in the player's path and the deliberately slow movement speed, Carmack said that Doom III will not be "an extremely long game," but not as short as some recent shooters. He predicted that there will be those who may "obsessively" play through it in a weekend.

So that explains we didn't see the player's hands when he was activating the switch, hmm, would that be kinda unrealistic? it seemed like back in the old times that you needed to bump into the door or switch in order to activate, but I like the "controlling-with-mouse-to-perform-actions" idea as well.

The animated console interface looks much like a Web page and an id developer mentioned that putting together the interface content is like working in Web HTML.

Ugh, that sounds really boring - hopefully it will turn out not to be.

dsm said:

Ugh, that sounds really boring - hopefully it will turn out not to be.

What, you don't want an easy-to-use flexible way of passing information to the player ?

Lord FlatHead said:

What, you don't want an easy-to-use flexible way of passing information to the player ?

Yeah, i agree, it will be very cool!

Remember what we talked about back then on icq, about the "better ways to pass the information to the player"? :))

. There was even a funny bit where Willits’ player character stepped on top of the prone zombie which prevented the zombie from getting back up.

Yay. Step on the zombie and shoot it in the head! There might be some tougher monsters that would just launch you across the room when you'd try that. X)

Lord FlatHead said:

I don't like to spend my time "coding html" in the game when I basically play it to kill stuff.
Maybe I've misunderstood something?

dsm said:

I don't like to spend my time "coding html" in the game when I basically play it to kill stuff.
Maybe I've misunderstood something?

I don't think the player codes the html, but the game designers/scripters. One of the basic uses here is that you have to treat computers in the base much the same way you treat real computers. Instead of just walking up to a screen and it beeps and tells you the exact way to the exit as if it knew exactly what you were thinking, you'd have to figure out how to get the information (perhaps you'd have to push a map button, and tell the computer to draw a line from you tot he exit, or somthing). It does seem rather combersome and annoying, but I'm sure that id will do something really interesting with this that will be more related to rather than obstructive to the players enjoyment in "killing stuff".

EsH said:

I don't think the player codes the html, but the game designers/scripters. One of the basic uses here is that you have to treat computers in the base much the same way you treat real computers. Instead of just walking up to a screen and it beeps and tells you the exact way to the exit as if it knew exactly what you were thinking, you'd have to figure out how to get the information (perhaps you'd have to push a map button, and tell the computer to draw a line from you tot he exit, or somthing). It does seem rather combersome and annoying, but I'm sure that id will do something really interesting with this that will be more related to rather than obstructive to the players enjoyment in "killing stuff".

Precisely!

But, what's annoying about that? It's fairly innovative!

I'm tired of all the recent shooters (SOFII, RTCW, etc...) where u do the same shit all over again, we need inovations and DOOM III will deliver!