Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
galileo31dos01

Let's talk about monsters

I found threads like this from at least 5 years ago, and public is renewed everyday so it's ok to make a new one. Here are some questions so we can share our thoughts on monsters, you can answer them or say other stuff related to them.

1. Favourite monster and why
  2. Most hated and why
  3. Favourite infighting
  4. Favourite kind of ambush or horde of enemies
  5. (Optional) the funniest, the lamest, the scariest, etc.

For me personally, the Cacodemon is the best, it's fluffy, he can fly, it's so funny to see him going up stairs, I call him a tomato (everybody does actually) even though I don't like tomatoes. He might not be as tough as a Baron or a Mancubus, but hey, he's always smiling! (?)... I hate the Revenant, I don't like him, I can't stand him, because of two main reasons: thin target and homing rockets. Usually when I see one or two coming I immediately run away to find cover. He is the main reason why I usually quit the game and curse to the air. I can't stand the Chaingunner too, but the Revenant, f*** him... My favourite infighting, it might be Hell Knight vs. Revenant, or Spiderdemon vs. Cyberdemon, although I also like bosses against everything... I like every kind of ambushes except combinations of chaingunners and others when there is no cover, or archviles with demons/spectres... Well sometimes when I hear the sounds of monsters and archviles coming from another room, meaning they will teleport sometime, I get very anxious. So the archvile in these cases scares me a little bit. Also a boss in a very dark place can scare me.

Ok, I read your opinions! 

Has anyone made one of those multiple choice quizzes of "what Doom monster you would be"? I feel there has been. I would like to do one of those and be a Revenant.

Best monster: Arch-vile. He brings so much to the table that no other monster offers, and the presence of one drastically changes the gameplay in any situation. The addition of a second one changes the gameplay almost as much.

Worst monster: Pain-elemental. Because the actual worst is a lost soul. 'Nuff said.

Favorite infighting: probably cyber vs. revenant horde. The more he cleans up, the less I'll have to. :-)

Favorite kind of monster horde: I like a mixed bag that I can get infighting.

My favorite monster is obvious, i can pick a bone with it whenever i want, plus it has those delicious homing rockets and when it sees me, it emits a loud scream, that's like it's calling you, because well, it's bonely and it wants is a friend.

Worst, well, i'd say the Pain Elemental, why?

Because it's a fucking pain in the ass, hence the name Pain Elemental, it spits flaming skulls aka Lost Souls out of it's mouth, that charge at you when they are spitted out, which makes it a nuisance and a pain in the ass to deal with, thankfully it can be prevented by getting face to face with it.

Favorite infighting, Revenant vs anything, it's hilarious to watch a Revenant trying to punch a Baron of Hell or a Cacodemon.

Favorite ambush or horde of enemies would be those baldy Shotgun Guys or the bonely Revenants, the baldy shotgunners give you ammo if you already have the sg, which comes in handy, as for Revenants, they fire those delicious homing rockets which can be challenging to dodge.

Funniest monster is Cacodemon, it grins at you and when it spits those fireballs, it looks like it's laughing at you.

Favourite: Mancubus perhaps, they're funny, yet a good foe. 

Most hated: Spider mastermind, I don't think he brings a lot of intelligent gameplay to the table in terms of mapping. Also in the main game, is comically easy.

Favourite infighting: Baron of hell

Favourite ambush: I like many of the doom monsters for ambushes, from troopers, imps, pinkies. I don't know, don't really have a favorite one for this as most monsters bring different aspects into play.

Favorite: Even though I hate homing projectiles, the Revenant is probably my favorite. An excellent addition to a group of enemies to make things a bit more interesting. However, Revenant snipers are terrible.

Most hated: ARCHVILE. I hate playing a map, then there's 4 Archviles in the same room without cover. What the hell am I supposed to do about that?

Infighting: Never really thought about this. Does the Baron of Hell attacking itself count as infighting? That's hilarious to watch. If not, probably a Cyberdemon versus a horde of zombies, guts flying everywhere. That sounds fun.

Ambush or horde: Nothing better than systematically plowing through a horde of Pinkies with the super shotgun.

Funniest: The way the Revenant walks is hilarious.

lamest: the Baron of Hell is not threatening at all and it takes forever to kill.

Scariest: When you hear the Archvile laugh but you don't know where it is.

Most annoying: Does anybody actually like the Lost Soul?

@Pencil of Doom your avatar is hilarious, I've seen it in other users

Most hated: Spider mastermind, I don't think he brings a lot of intelligent gameplay to the table in terms of mapping. Also in the main game, is comically easy.

Well SHE is dangerous as a sniper, plus you can use her to kill other enemies, it takes specific moments and specific monster placement.

Most annoying: Does anybody actually like the Lost Soul?

Me

Well, it's funny to see two of them fighting each other, or when they can see you but can't attack you, and they try and try and try. Idk

Edited by galileo31dos01

The Baron is my favourite because it's not annoying like the Revenant, takes a good deal of shots to take down and its death sound is satisfying. 

Most hated: Revenants because they move so fast, fire homing fireballs from time to time and mappers use them a bit too much :/ The most hated monster of Doom 64 is the lost soul, because they're so aggressive.

Favourite infighting: Cyberdemon et Revenants. 'Nuff said.

The best ambush is a Pinky horde, if you ask me. They spread out quickly, and can easily trap you if you dont have a gun like the SSG.

scariest: Archvile, my worst nightmare when playing a map.

funniest: Pain Elemental, because it reminds of a cat, makes cute "ow" sounds and has chubby little arms.

lamest: Spider Mastermind. Do I have to explain?

Current favourite: Revenant. The most fun to fight (viles are a close second) and one of the most versatile monsters. I think some people could afford to use them more ;)

Least favourite: Baron. Hard to use well and usually a chore to fight. Most of the time you should just use a hell knight or maybe even a couple revenants!

Favourite monster and why: Arachnotron because they are underused, have awesome sounds, and their plasma is routinely challenging to dodge.

Most hated and why: Fucking mancubi, worst thing because their fireballs are fast as fuck and can even clip through walls in some ports, plus their pattern of attack is quite annoying even if you got it down and they tend to never stop shooting at you especially from a distance when you're busy with other things, you'll run into their stupidly large fireballs. Also greatly overused in wads.

Favourite infighting: Two lost souls. It's so cute. Also when a chaingunner manages to kill a mid-tier.

Favourite kind of ambush or horde of enemies: Pinky rushes

(Optional) the funniest, the lamest, the scariest: All three at the same time to the pain elemental. Has a funny face, is lame if you get in front of it and prevent it from spewing lost souls, and scary on -fast or something.

favorite: imps. they're easy and fun to fight :)

worst: pain elemental, no exceptions.

favorite infighting: all kinds of different monsters work best with infighting, imo.

favorite ambush/horde: zombiemen, it just feels great to now them down with a chaingun, or blast them away with an ssg.

Favourite monster and why: Arch-viles. The sheer presence of even just one can be enough to throw you off if placed well, making them the most exciting monster for me.

Most hated and why: Barons. They are such a bore to kill most of the time, and arent at all threatening unless we're in a tight or awkward space.

Favourite infighting: Pinkies bullying a Mastermind.

Favourite kind of ambush or horde of enemies: Anything involving Arch-viles, cause as I said, even just one can potentially be enough to throw you off.

Favorite monster: Revenant. Has been for a long time, everything about the monster has been designed to be as amusing as humanly possible in my eyes, and as a monster, it works very nicely

Least favorite monster: You know, I dunno. Maybe the PE since they have the potential to be the most annoying, but I have never found myself cursing any particular monster

Favorite infighting: Monsters faster average against slow targets. Especially pinkies since they look so stupid as they constantly miss and then get killed almost instantly when they do hit and the other monster retaliates. Groups of revenants in melee against something like a mancubus is by far my favorite though.

Guess my favorite ambush is the kind of thing you can respond to really well but you have to do it swiftly. Arch viles are great at this.

Favorite: The archvile. The sounds, the attacks, everything about him makes him so unique. I used to hate him but now, i find myself using him quite often. He may come out as cheap but used correctly, he makes for a deadly fow :)

Hated: Lost soul. For a small ass enemy, the don't go down that quickly with the pistol and in some cases, the shotgun won't kill them in one hit. They are unpredictable and have killed me while i was busy fighting more interesting foes. I guess the PE qualifies too but, i actually don't mind them that much.

Infighting: The mancubus. He's just here to cause chaos and will, most of time (if not every time) infight with shit. He's quite cool too and has funny sounds to boot. 

Horde: IMP. I just LOVE fighting imp hordes with the RL. It is just so satisfying to do and seeing them gib in groups is awesome haha. I guess the humans qualify but i dunno, i prefer the imps :)

I will have to think bout the lamiest, funiest and scariest hehe. Nothing comes to mind right now. 

Hands down the Archvile is my favorite of the monster roster for the Doom series. It has an exceptionally evil creature design and to top it off the damn thing is highly dangerous. Anytime I encounter this fire walking fiend, I always panic and retreat if possible, because if your not careful you'll be toast (literally) and if not, enemies that you slain will be resurrected by the Archvile thus making your life so much worse. It really is a unique creature that you have to approach differently compared to the other Doom monsters. Plus it also reminds me of the movie monster Pumpkinhead.

OE67RmH.jpg

Edited by Piper Maru

Favourite monster : Zombieman , don't ask me why, because.... they have a green hair, they're propably the first monsters I encounter, and them exploading is delicious, it is something with my childhood, (honorable mention : Cacodemon )
Most hated : Pain Elemental, the most annoying monsters ever, and they produce Lost Souls, the second worst,they are annoying as hell and they all need to die 
Favourite infighting : Cyberdemon Vs Spider Mastermind
Favourite kind of ambush or horde of enemies : Few Revenant Hordes, actually a Variaty of enemies, the more of Variaty the better so I can see more infighting
Funniest : Revenants

lamest : Imps

scariest : Archviles , Cyberdemons

Favourite monster: None other than the Hell knight. As I may have already said, I like the sounds he makes, I find his color cool and his death animation is perfect. He is not a bulletsponge like the Baron and I enjoy every encounter with him (he is balanced). Also, I get annoyed every time I hear someone say he is a palette swap of the Baron. I mean they have some differences in the earlier games as demons and in the later games (Doom 3, Doom) he was redesigned so that he doesn't look like the Baron. (My second favourite is the Arch-vile)

Most hated: Pain Elemental. Why? Because he is the most unbalanced Doom demon until this day. He spawns a shit load of Lost Souls (21 if I remember correct) and the effect of this can be witnessed if you are not fast enough killing the Pain Elementals in Barrels o Fun. He is a "pain in the ass" and whenever I see one I rush him with the SSG and kill him mostly in 2 shots. Thank god he doesn't have the HP of an arch-vile.

Favourite infighting: Lost souls fighting each other (don't have to waste my precious shotgun shells this way) and maybe a Baron of Hell against pinkies (May the pinkiest win).

Favourite ambush: Some Hell knights or an Arch-vile

Favourite horde: Every enemy in Doom (almost), simultaneously, like in Scythe's Map 26 Fear and some other combinations like a group of Imps or a group of Revenants.

Funniest: Probably none, unless you count the Mancubus after seeing some animations in youtube (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Mancubus)

Lamest: Zombieman. He is there just to get you started in the map and doesn't drop anything really useful. He drops bullets that are needed, but only 5 or 10 of them, which doesn't make a significant difference.

Scariest: Arch-vile or Pinkies (they got me good a few times, when I wasn't expecting it).

Favorite:

Spectres in completely or almost completely dark areas. Nothing makes you play carefully like a -fast spectre in a dark open area where your only cue as to where it is, is its growling. The only horror like element in this game.

Hated:

Heavy weapon dudes, because they are the enemy from whom I almost always take at least some damage. No other monster deals so much consistent HP damage to me throughout the WADS like them. They are cool looking though and their weapon sound is awesome so a bit torn on this one.

Favorite infighting:

Heavy weapon dude vs anything he can pain lock. Just satisfying to watch them shred anything up to mancubus when in point blank range. Better not mess with these guys, or if you do, make sure you kill them in one shot.

Honorary mention to Baron vs Hell Knight melee brawl.

Ambush:

Pain elementals. When I see them coming from some wall that opened, it is one of those "oh shit" moments. They instantly become number one priority targets and change the flow of combat drastically when they surprise you in the middle of an ongoing fight.

Horde:

BFGing a horde of Hell Knights or Barons. The constant roaring of their death sounds is very satisfying.

Funniest:

Lost souls. They truly are lost, because they have amnesia and react based solely on the latest input (pain state).When hit, they're like "U WOT M8???? I'LL KILL YOUR ASS TILL YOU'RE DEAD!!!!!!!!" and charges immediately in the direction of the offender. They forget the reason for their murderous impulse mid flight, hit the attacker, but the lost soul is already going like "What was I doing again????". The offender retaliates and the process repeats. Especially funny when Lost soul impacts a revenant and then he just bitch slaps it immediately so hard it explodes.

Lamest:

Standard demons. Useful meat shields for you and not threatening at all.

also

gameplay wise, the Arch-vile rarely feels threatening. It would seem most of the community here considers him one of the hardest monsters, but their attack animation is just too long to be of any danger if not in a large open area. With correct timing, you have to hide for something like 0,2 seconds to not get hit and then you have again ample time to dispense some damage. At least he has low pain chance. If there is a risk of mass resurrection or he is hiding behind a horde, just rush straight to him with BFG. He will be dead before his first attack animation finishes. He also infights anything that as much as breathes on him, so using him with hordes is not advisable. I find he is only useful for:

A) Repopulating already cleared areas.

B) Sort of a guard tower where if you peek your nose out for too long, you will get punished.

Scariest:

-Fast spectre in the dark, read above.

Cyberdemon in an elevated position.

Can say not just about monsters, but about monster placement (as a mapper).

-I rare use zombiemen in my maps, because it's a cannon fodder especially when you have powerful weapon. Though can be placed like a decoy.
-I like to place spectres on liquid/animated floors in pits, it can be a dangerous blocker to those who fall there.
-For PE's I choose far distance placement, or somewhere behind big structures, where player cannot reach. Also with group of cacodemons.
-To make gameplay more dynamic, Spider mastermind can be placed on moving platforms somewhere a bit far (as I did in Urania MAP13)
-Lost souls can be placed somewhere where player can not see them, to suddenly scare player. (as example - Urania MAP02 in rocket launcher area)
-Using of keens hidden in closed sectors with high crushers, so special tagged doors will be opened later.

Edited by riderr3

Favorite: Pain Elemental. Looks cool, has an intimidating alert sound, and is genuinely dangerous if ignored. Annoying, but that effectively makes it a top priority threat. Oh yes, gotta get our priorities straight. He is most wanted el numero uno. Baron of Hell is a close second because he is also cool and badass with big bulging demon muscles. Sweet.

Least favorite: Basic zombiemen. Boring, ugly (green hair... are they clowns?) and overall kinda lame. But fun to explode in large hordes with rockets. Gib them bodies baby. Gib. Gib em all. No mercy, slaughter.

My maps tend to be Doom 1 inspired, including the bestiary, so a lot of the time I'll have regular shottie but no super shotgun and drop the occasional revenant as a miniboss monster. That combo seems to give the player a good jolt without giving them something that takes forever to deal with, like a baron.

I feel bad for zombieman getting so much hate though. They can always serve as "interactive" ammo drops. A lot of the time I'll be slogging through a map with a big monster brawl going on, and I'm down to my last hit points and surrounded by hell knights and cacos and imps, but it's that damn stray zombieman I keep scowling at thinking, "This motherfucker could kill me right now. Don't you do it, you piece o' shit GODDAMMIT"

Edited by Impie

5 minutes ago, Impie said:

My maps tend to be Doom 1 inspired, including the bestiary, so a lot of the time I'll have regular shottie but no super shotgun and drop the occasional revenant as a miniboss monster. That combo seems to give the player a good jolt without giving them something that takes forever to deal with, like a baron.

I feel bad for zombieman getting so much hate though. They can always serve as "interactive" ammo drops. A lot of the time I'll be slogging through a map with a big monster brawl going on, and I'm down to my last hit points, and it's that damn stray zombieman I keep scowling at thinking, "This motherfucker could kill me right now. Don't you do it, you piece o' shit GODDAMMIT"

I personally find zombiemen funny when he's alone like pew... pew... pew, and his face like he's hitting his target, but no

On 08/04/2017 at 0:49 AM, galileo31dos01 said:

I personally find zombiemen funny when he's alone like pew... pew... pew, and his face like he's hitting his target, but no

Sometimes, he WILL hit his target and, bonus points if you have like 5% health left and no armor and you are shot from across the map...