Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

Post your Heretic/Hexen textures and decorations!

1 minute ago, NeoWorm said:

I will post the textures after some more tweaking

Looking good, and detailed, like something from Daggerfall

On 1/13/2023 at 8:28 PM, NeoWorm said:

Hope you like timber framing. I kinda wanted to make something like this for some time. It will need more work since this look mostly (brown set is fine) like trash in either Heretic or Hexen palettes.

They work in Heretic with a bit of tweaking.  Managed to make a grey and yellow-ish-tan set:

neoworm_wattledaub_grey.png

neoworm_wattledaub_yellow.png

I will need to change my setup a bit to have easier export. Than I can iterate faster and make more color variants. I will probably also do a set of 3D elements to complement. Doors, shutters, some wooden supports etc.

17 hours ago, NeoWorm said:

I will need to change my setup a bit to have easier export. Than I can iterate faster and make more color variants. I will probably also do a set of 3D elements to complement. Doors, shutters, some wooden supports etc.

Out of curiosity, what is your method/program of choice?

16 hours ago, TheHambourgeois said:

Out of curiosity, what is your method/program of choice?

Photoshop and a lot of layers.
This set was made by layering the beams over the base texture, each one with a shadow/cracks in separate layer under every single other beam so I can just enable the beam and it's shadow without rendering the shadow over another beam. Underneath I had basic texture with color variations. It got very complex quite fast and exporting the 4 color versions took unbearably long. So I will do every variant side by side with all beams in single layer and all shadows in another and I will layer a gradient effect layer over it and mask it on the walls only. That way I will be able to change colors or undelying texture and export whole sheet in much less time so I can tweak the colors.
There are few tricks I could use if I had newer version of Photoshop (I have CS5.5) which include palette lookup table to preview the paletized version right away without changing the color mode and layer sets to quickly switch between variant textures, both methods are what Ukiro used on Otex. But I don't want to give in to Adobe's blackmail so I am stuck at old version of Photoshop.

I personally never got used to programs made for pixelart since I prefer to paint freely, sometimes even in higher resolution than convert to palette and fix details than push pixels around. I have Aseprite though and I use it mainly to palette conversions, recolors and new palette creation. It's palette manipulation tools are clearly superior to any version of photoshop.

was browsing this thread the other day and got inspired a bit, so created a new door texture. its kind of inspired by original designs. feel free to use. (it's already heretic palette png)

new_heretic_door.png

On 1/24/2023 at 4:35 PM, NeoWorm said:

Photoshop and a lot of layers.

Lol I think we have similar struggles, I am a GIMP and a lot of layers kind of guy

TorchLight.png.cb801998b088e863794b534970e6c3a1.png Bloodborne inspired "Madmans Insight" skull torches

WPIXA0.png.109d215709dc7d594935a1e8417712da.png Bloody Pickaxe. Its a pickup for a weapon, but works as a standalone decoration.

Rare triple post!
Working on the metal walls, but then I'm at a loss of which walls to convert next.
Anyone got a texture request, or should I just transition onto the flats ?

1 minute ago, Desfar said:

Rare triple post!
Working on the metal walls, but then I'm at a loss of which walls to convert next.
Anyone got a texture request, or should I just transition onto the flats ?

Awesome stuff! I wish I could relike it each time you update.

The stuff you've already done is great for cities. I think what I remember most from Daggerfall is all the shop textures, the shelves of equipment and books in the guilds and inns and whatnot. I don't know how well it would work to convert those, but it would be cool to see your take on them.

On 4/28/2023 at 8:39 AM, Desfar said:
Spoiler

Been on a texture binge, specifically converting Daggerfall into Hexen.
While recolors would be easier, I'm going full franken.
This post will be updated with the additional pairs as I make them over time.
I will also include custom pieces for people to utilize if needed.

Only stipulation for using my stuff is just to send me a pic of what you make with it.
It helps to know I'm making useful things for the community :3
318751749_StoneSheet.png.89d963416575954b2300dc66166a66ac.png
1780772769_CottageSheetSheet.png.b375f70a5e93e66ad5f1cc5ad6c435a9.png
StoneSheet.png.cdd730d9910de17fa33011c8a4779e89.pngDWood001.png.46516b9a5af66d2d661fd1394015ea03.pngDWood002.png.8ddbbbacdced6c98757083747cc4af99.png
ShantyWood.png.9d56b4f3b81dad172b988f286f063fbf.png

WTowe008.png.4470637504796e9ac4b88e4504a57606.pngWTowe007.png.970bfe38e91b12b2cab5e55da8bb36ed.pngWixardTower.png.ebfaf6a7711c528ce4e074bbb3297719.png
Marble.png.55a6a3e1e133c718bfed0f0207c71620.png
Metals.png.0ffbec8f111373d23fdd611bb2392787.png

For the Shelves, I'm going to make them more modular.
There will be a series of premade ones, but I'm going to make shelves which can be slapped into the spacing of the empty version.
And when I'm done, I'm likely going to need to make a finalized WAD pack.
Shelves.png.17372c53e793303d9c6e56c0a6f84156.png

Its going into territory of: I can't believe its butter Daggerfall. Super good job.

This kind of came up in a DM I got and since I anticipate further intermittent free time issues/not logging onto the forums for extended periods, I just want to make it explicit: Anyone who wants to use anything I posted in this thread is free to do so without asking my permission first.

Tring to get mapping done, when suddenly i realize that I'm already back in gimp trying to make more elements for the map.
Again!.png.a9f26ac99c6235dbc21fcd1d17333b02.png
623322379_ExtractedElements.png.7366013e8785dfb79d09989b3d102666.png

On 6/14/2023 at 12:42 PM, Desfar said:

Tring to get mapping done, when suddenly i realize that I'm already back in gimp trying to make more elements for the map.

the heretic experience, baby

40 minutes ago, TheHambourgeois said:

the heretic experience, baby

Trying to get some catacomb type textures, mixed with ancient white and gray stone
the mod I am aiming for is something of a mix with Shadar Logoth (ancient dead city that has been abandoned for countless years) and Shinto religion (via talismans and other sealing magics being used to keep the creatures and other things trapped inside the city)
And i grew up playing Hexen (badly) far more than doom, so the medieval/magic has always been a draw.

That being said, if anyone wants to make/throw in some textures/flats that fit the idea I have, I would be eternally grateful, and prolly owe an equal amount of things in return.

Shadar_Logoth.png

On 6/16/2023 at 1:22 PM, Desfar said:

Trying to get some catacomb type textures, mixed with ancient white and gray stone

You might want to look at some of the quake texture packs, in particular ikwhite and ikblue, which may be in the realm of what you're looking for

Large rework to alot of Quake textures, specifically the ones from IKWHITE, TAL_SHESP, and NECRO.
Most shrunk to 8x smaller, shifted to more hexen colors as well as more stone tones.
Tried to keep some measure of fidelity despite the shrinkage of highdef items.
altar1.png.a1647adf8678d651ba501c0418c8e8df.pngwindow666_9.png.2f5ec931e8687f309a073e9a427d86ae.pngkwscrn5.png.e3fa4f70f36fad54c159f1d31f0a2938.pngwbrik16c.png.b84101e8e7e426cc5eb9ecdeb82e1a06.png

They should be worth a look through for most people who like these looks.
Quake Hexen Quick Work.zip

Edited by Desfar

Hey all. I've updated my old weapon and armor rack textures. The original versions had a pure black background because I could never figure out how to get a good wood grain that wouldn't conflict with the wood on the polearms and such. For the new versions, I used @TheHambourgeois's expanded Hexen wood-grain textures found here, but grayed them to avoid coloring conflicts. I also improved some of the recolors while I was at it. A few examples here, but the full set is in the OP of this thread, so just get them there.

F7lMHzs.png 2vcMF8u.png E8N8aFd.png

XMJqhu9.png UBCdMrH.png 3A3bsun.png

Edited by Not Jabba