Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrGlide

ARK: Survival Evolved

Have you played it, what is your opinion on it? I just got it recently and after a bit of trial and error I got it working pretty well. I'v got to say I like this game much more then rust. I find it really fun for the most part, though to be noted I'v played mainly single player and non-dedicated multiplayer. So what do you think of it?

Seems like your typical early acces survival game... nothing special.

Pro tip: It will NEVER get out of early acces

I like the idea but I'm a little cynical when it comes to early access games already having mulitple paid DLC packages...  I understand small teams need to gather cash to keep working but there's just something I don't like about paid DLC (old school Doom geek, I suppose...).

If it does get a finished release, I'll look into it more. :)

I have a lot of Steam friends that have tangled with the game. One bought a new computer just to play it only to get disappointed by it. Another has seemingly made it his life's work to complain each and every day about its poor performance and options. At least he does it in screenshot form. He puts a lot of effort into the screenshots to edit them and highlight things. Another friend is just in the game 24/7... so I asked him is it that good to be in it 24/7... nope he just has to idle for something so he leaves it on. Others complain about paid DLC for an unfinished game and yeah that would seem like a big problem to me too.

Only reason any game comes out of Early Access is when the money dries up. Early Access is a way to get 2 releases. Cultivate a growing audience to write good reviews so when it does release you look fantastic to the audience that hasn't blocked Early Access games.

I played it about a year ago. Much of the crafting and getting to higher tier stuff depends on getting in or creating a large tribe. Which to date I have never had any luck with. If you like getting constantly ganked, join any public server. Otherwise play on a private server or local. There's a lot of things it could do better.

On 07/04/2017 at 11:20 AM, Average said:

early access games already having mulitple paid DLC packages...

This is something that IMMENSELY angers me - The whole idea of early access is to get funding to carry on developing your core game - why are you then using that time and resources on making 'additional' content when the main game isn't yet finished?!

Dungeon Defenders 2 was a game that did this and as such it made me quit very quickly. I paid for the base game during early access due to how much I enjoyed the first. The first game was fantastic until it descended into DLC-Hell, but I gave the sequel a go anyways. The second game after a short while became free to play, but hasn't refunded me the money / given me any access to the DLC as compensation. The game currently has over £200.00 in DLC and it's in early access. Honestly, that's pretty disgusting to me.

I miss the days of paying £40.00 or so for a game knowing that it includes the FULL GAME and most subsequent updates.

Ontopic: I've heard great things about Ark, I've also heard awful things. Most of the bad comments I've heard relate to mid-to-late-game progression, much like rf mentioned. I think it is one of those 'make your own decision' type of games, much like Yooka Laylee seems to be right now.