Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoctorNuriel

Favorite piece of architecture in classic Doom games?

More favorites of mine are the central area of Doom 2's Map22 The Catacombs, and the courtyard in Doom 2's, big surprise, The Courtyard.

Doom 1: several bits of E1M6 - i don't know why, exactly, but i find the indoor/outdoor mix to be really interesting in this map. the windy area with the lifts up the stairs in E2M2. the weird steel sci-fi bit of E2M7. also several bits of E3M7, particularly the room with the Baron

Doom 2: the Industrial Zone, with hitscanners tucked within the fortified castle walls. also the teleporter area in The Citadel

Honestly, E1M1's courtyard. It's a little humanizing thing. You have a base in space, and you have a little space with a recreation area. Couldn't be better. But then the lake is now filled with toxic sludge and there's an armor there... Maybe of someone who was thrown there after being killed during the invasion?

Yes, I'm overthinking a bit. There's way more to say that the area is like that because of good level design, not because of any story consequences. But a man can't help but wonder.

PHARAOH! In terms of gameplay it is not perfect, but I like the pyramidonal view at the map's start.

I recently started playing Epic 2, and oh man, the entire WAD is just full of lovely setpieces. Great use of the Egyptian texture set.

- E1M5: The outdoor secret with the soul sphere

- E3M4: The room to the right at the start, with the snake "river"

- E3M4: The torture rooms (already posted); these still tend to appear in my levels

- E2M3: VINES!

- E3M7: Most of it, really, but particularly the area in the lower left

Doom: E2M2's crate maze

Doom 2: Gotcha!'s bland yet epic boss arena

Doom 64: Map02's terraformer machine

Doom 3: that part with the robot arm that takes out metal boxes out of a 3x3 grid.

These are the ones I cant forget easily. Doom 64's terraformer machine is simply unforgettable.

I agree with a lot of the structures and environments mentioned earlier, especially those from Doom 1 because they have some kind of value to me from when I experienced those rooms in the maps when I played them for the first time.

However, one piece of outdoor 'architecture' that made quite an impression on me was "Mount Pain" on the eponymous map (TNT MAP27)

latest?cb=20070203173359

On 4/21/2017 at 5:39 PM, JudgeDeadd said:

E1M2: The staircase on the eastern side of the map, with windows to the outside. It looks so... cozy!

E1M2_blue_stairs.png

Looks like a perfect spot for a lounging corner.

On 4/8/2017 at 5:00 PM, RUSH said:

The merging of Hell and machine! From E2M7.

doAeKV9.png

Probably this for me. I really like the transitional style of Episode 2. Other textures I like are other ones associated with Hell, like the wooden floors and ceilings, and the walls with zig-zag patterns on them, like found in E3M2. I liked Doom's representation of Hell better than Doom 2's.

Edited by drygnfyre

On 4/9/2017 at 4:17 AM, Soundblock said:

The first time a sky was used as a floor for the exit made me pleasantly dizzy at the time. Its in Doom II, but I don't recall what map # it was off-hand.

This is neat, too. I know a few maps in Episode 4 made use of this style, too. I always wondered the logic to such an exit... Is the player falling from one map into the next one below? It's a more interesting way to end the map than a simple switch, and works well with maps that have a more abstract style to them.

Doom has too many cool architecture pieces to list, but one of the most memorable places for me were the giant blue halls from E2M4. Every time I think of E2, this place comes to mind.

4 hours ago, cherry said:

Doom has too many cool architecture pieces to list, but one of the most memorable places for me were the giant blue halls from E2M4. Every time I think of E2, this place comes to mind.

I love that area so much that I ripped it off in my DTWID map. It's a quintessential Shores of Hell area.

On 4/29/2017 at 2:52 PM, cherry said:

I always liked heavily color-themed areas. Swim With The Whales is one of my aesthetically favorite WADs!

Dead Zone. Just, like, all of it.

Honorable mention to E2M1's inverted cross.

-The bridge thing in Map03: Gantlet

-The citadel in Map19 - it is cool because it is a giant citadel, not because it is a particularly pretty citadel.

-Map14, the whole layered walkway motif is great to explore and looks great too.

In a beta release of Doom, the window overlooking the secret exit room in E1M3 originally had a "Tei Tenga" computer panel there that could be partially seen though. It was pretty cool looking, but wasn't in the final version of the game.

I love how the stone is detailed in Doom 2 map 14.

doom35.png

doom36.png

On 21.4.2017 at 5:39 PM, JudgeDeadd said:

E1M2: The staircase on the eastern side of the map, with windows to the outside. It looks so... cozy!

E1M2_blue_stairs.png

Absolutely agree with you.

Though i always loved this one in E1M2...

e1m2.jpg.043122bc52de0746f286f49b238a3427.jpg

I have a thing for what I call Tom Hall-isms.

Screenshot_Doom_20170504_111726.png.8521abfa5d938b68d1fb551261fb993c.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170504_111815.png.090510839865b47819d410ba5dba9e27.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170504_112008.png.a39fde07b22b97e16ce68a72119aa966.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170504_112033.png.c4b9a3fdfe83d3dca888ac712533abe7.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170504_112041.png.bfafc2ff7ac510448c6100e997ba745d.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170504_112243.png.da4ea475e619c7feeaf95b108d94cd6c.png

Tom Hall-ism 

/tɑm hôl-ĭz(ə)m/

noun

1. An area meant to convey some sort of functional space, with no indication of what that space is actually for, especially when making generous use of silver, blue, and tan with sparse highlights of green, yellow and red.

Edited by Marnetstapler

What about the hand-shaped style of Slough of Despair (E3M2)?. That was clever. 

5 hours ago, xAn said:

Absolutely agree with you.

Though i always loved this one in E1M2...

e1m2.jpg.043122bc52de0746f286f49b238a3427.jpg

Aye. Makes you want to lean out of the window and take a breath of fresh air.

6 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

What about the hand-shaped style of Slough of Despair (E3M2)?. That was clever. 

On a similar note, House of Pain (E3M4) is supposed to represent human organs. Not sure I'm seeing it, though.

13 minutes ago, drygnfyre said:

On a similar note, House of Pain (E3M4) is supposed to represent human organs. Not sure I'm seeing it, though.

That area with the two crushers looks like a heart...and the two lateral areas in the beginning looks like the lungs...

2 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

That area with the two crushers looks like a heart...and the two lateral areas in the beginning looks like the lungs...

That's what I've read, I just can't see it myself.

On 5/2/2017 at 3:28 PM, Xaser said:

Dead Zone. Just, like, all of it.

that map seems like a really obvious inspiration point for your work, so i'm not surprised to see you say that at all.