Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rifle Infantry

Doom 3: Depths of Evil [Community Project]

Can I take mapslot 28?I really miss udmf mapping and I have some experience in map making stuff. 

Might begin my map tomorrow or at least within the next few days. I'm just waiting for feedback on what I hope is the final version of my map for another project, then I can jump into this, since, ya know, i'm a new mapper and want to take every bit of feedback and criticism on previous maps into account before starting new ones so I don't make the same mistakes :P

On 4/15/2017 at 4:45 AM, vincent0s said:

MAP24: Going in Deep (V1)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/meisvccr6j9643g/MAP24.wad

*I only did a fast play though at god mode, monsters and pickups may be edited in futher, hope you guyz will help me with feedback (this is my second map, so please spare me :) )

**LOL just saw a flying barrel on my own screenshot, fixed!

Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

sc1.jpg sc2.jpg sc3.jpg sc4.jpg sc5.jpg sc6.jpg

So far that's a positively incredible map. Really does a better job than my own hand at showing off the Doom 3 monsters in a proper environment.

Though I have some criticisms of it:

• Sweet Christ in Heaven, please remove or replace at least 2/3 of those Pain Elementals. Those and the Lost Souls are probably the most aggravating monsters in the Doom bestiary (and not in the good way, they are not fun to fight at all when spammed). I had a good 20 Souls mobbing me in nearly all big environments, and they essentially prevented me from moving, since I couldn't go three feet without being hit by one, and there was no ammo to fight them with nearby.
  • More ammo and health. Please. The map has a massive scarcity of both of these. Nothing is more annoying than having to keep popping Resurrect in the console because you have to fight Lost Souls with a rocket launcher in the absence of a better weapon.
  • Downgrade the ambushes. Certain ones (like the combined Pain Elemental + Cacodemon assault once you return to the starting room, and the two sergeants behind grates as soon as you entered the blood-covered platform room) tended to just be mandatory damage for the player, and given the scarcity of ammo suited for dealing with bigger monsters, they were undefeatable as well. I had to keep popping Resurrect due to things like these sapping my health away. If you don't want to downgrade them, then adding armor sources would help massively.

Other than that, however, this map tends to be incredibly good.

What about adding the "SuperShotgunGuy" from.the skulltag bestiary to this project ? The sprites are original and with the same theme as the Doom games and it feel like it could go in an actual Doom game

I made 1.01 of map24 (need to play test it a few times, before release).

I also started on map25 already ;)

Preview:

map25prev.jpg 

Could you include more textures like lava/water fall?Also,it would be great to have more textures based on hell and rock. I love spice things with textures. 

I know we said no new textures, but a logical addition might be a new sky, especially for the first 20 levels. What do we reckon?

If it's set on Titan, the moon is characterized by a sickly orange atmosphere.  So some thick orangey clouds, even some scrolling ones if we want to add a bit of GZDoom fun, I think would give the wad a strong personality while keeping to the theme of a Doom circa 1995.

Ending area,I decided to build level backwards,instead of starting area. It doesn't matter,but I love show my progress here.

Screenshot_Doom_20170421_134113.png

29 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Ending area,I decided to build level backwards,instead of starting area. It doesn't matter,but I love show my progress here.

that looks heckin beautiful

i haven't even started my map, i'm gonna wait on the texture pack and super special meme pack to get finalized :(

10 minutes ago, bonnie said:

that looks heckin beautiful

i haven't even started my map, i'm gonna wait on the texture pack and super special meme pack to get finalized :(

It lacks resources,but also trigerrs creativity. I hope we'll get more texture choices,because is not enough for hell. 

On 4/18/2017 at 2:22 AM, SArais said:

Why don't we compile a bunch of reccomendations/suggestions and applicable reasons

Good idea. I will see what I can do about setting up a list of recommendations.

On 4/18/2017 at 2:03 AM, Dude27th said:

What about adding the "SuperShotgunGuy" from.the skulltag bestiary to this project ? The sprites are original and with the same theme as the Doom games and it feel like it could go in an actual Doom game

The SSG guy? I'm kinda mixed on him. On one hand, it's a great "heavy" zombie that looks as tough as it is, but on the other hand, its attack is both rather strange (being much closer to the standard Shotgun in accuracy and pellet count than an inaccurate spray of pellets as you'd expect from an SSG zombie), it adds to an already-bloated amount of former humans in Doom 3, and the regular Former Sergeant can already take 45 health off of you in a point-blank ambush.

However, I really like former humans as enemies. So I might add it with a revised missile attack.

Will you add more things like skies? I just want expand my map and submit here. 

21 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Will you add more things like skies? I just want expand my map and submit here. 

It all depends. Right now I'm accepting additional textures implemented at the discretion of the mapper. I will go over them and determine whether they are acceptable for the final release.

I think recoloured doom texture pack would fit here,they won't feel out of place. Also,I would include waterfall and lavafall. What's more - some cctex textures would fit here too and maybe alpha/beta doom stuff like decorations. These are just suggestions. I'm mostly use stock stuff with provided content pack. 

How is everybody doing on their maps? Ill be picking up mapping this week ;) and post some screenshots

I've lost track slightly: is there going to be an "official" extra texture pack?  I'd prefer not to start anything until I know the textures I'm using, if there is something due.

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

I've lost track slightly: is there going to be an "official" extra texture pack?  I'd prefer not to start anything until I know the textures I'm using, if there is something due.

I threw some suggestions how improve that content pack,but no response. So,I'm waiting too. I want finish rest of the level with some new rock/ashwall/shawn/sky textures which resemble hell environment and that feeling then you're almost done with wad,I mean. 

i haven't stated since nothing is finalized yet so there's no point

5 minutes ago, bonnie said:

i haven't stated since nothing is finalized yet so there's no point

Everything here goes in slug speed. So,you should wait too. Draw map plan on paper or something like that. 

Ok, good to know I'm not alone.  

@Rifle Infantry: Can you update us on how near to complete the asset pack is?  We'd rather not start any mapping until that's 100% locked (monsters, textures, decorations etc. etc.)

If you haven't decided what textures to include, I don't think anyone would object if you just said "let's use CC4-tex".

On 5/1/2017 at 3:20 PM, Bauul said:

Ok, good to know I'm not alone.  

@Rifle Infantry: Can you update us on how near to complete the asset pack is?  We'd rather not start any mapping until that's 100% locked (monsters, textures, decorations etc. etc.)

If you haven't decided what textures to include, I don't think anyone would object if you just said "let's use CC4-tex".

Honestly I'm not sure anymore. At first I felt that the pack had all of its objectives completed, but I think it can fit more.

For now I'm running on the basis of "throw what you want in and I'll see if it fits". I want to see the cool things the community can come up with to fit with it.

I'm having trouble coming up with something; worse comes to worse i'll pick through a couple of additional decorative props and present the ones I think will be useful.

6 hours ago, Rifle Infantry said:

Honestly I'm not sure anymore. At first I felt that the pack had all of its objectives completed, but I think it can fit more.

For now I'm running on the basis of "throw what you want in and I'll see if it fits". I want to see the cool things the community can come up with to fit with it.

If you could give permission I could include some new textures in content pack. I wouldn't alter those included,but add some rocks/shawn/waterfall and lavafall and some flats. Community shared  lots of cool skies,we just need ask them if they let use their content. That's it. 

13 hours ago, Rifle Infantry said:

I get where you're coming from, but I might be a little concerned saying "use whatever you like" is kind of hard to work with.  You might end up with something like the DW2017 project where nothing has any cohesion.  And the last thing any mapper wants is to work hard on something and then have you realize it doesn't fit and not accept it.  It's much easier to work within set boundaries to begin with.

If you're unsure yourself, I'd be happy to contribute a few, along with @MysteriousHaruko and whoever else, but I think everyone would appreciate having a locked list of assets we can work with before starting anything too seriously.  A few new skies would definitely help.  We could always use Mr. Rocket's cool Doom 3 Texture project too (either the full-res or the palleted version when it's done), which might be fun given the aim of the WAD.

I've looked at some of the r667 stuff and the following may be useful:

Keys/Items:

Power Cube & Skull Orbs : various puzzle things

Mega Map : map upgrade

Props/Decorations:

Glass Tech Pillars & Speciment tank : decorative breakable prop

Tech Gizmos V1/2 & Hell Gizmos: neat key indicator; v1 is more of a traditional bfg ball energy; v2 is a static electricity

Dead/Swamp Trees & Hell Trees: more trees

Strife Columns : additional pillar; best to use with light sequences?

Ancient Hell Pillars & Marble Columns, Rune Skull Pillars: more pillars

Evil Eye Variations: more eyes

Flesh Pods, Tentacle Barrier, Flesh Pillars: Flesh themed decorative prop

Lights:

Switchable Tech Lamp : light switch

Lamps & Light Column Variations, Strobe Lights : tech lights

Doom64 Lights&Torches, Candle Color Variations, Torch Variations, Wall Torches : hell lights

Edited by SArais