Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maisth

Teleports without Linedef

Question

Hey guys its ya boy Maisth with another question this time being

can i make a Teleport without being dependant of a Linedef? Kinda like the ones in Duke Nukem 3D Like for example you fall into a hole and get transported into another area

4 answers to this question

In vanilla or Boom? You're out of luck - anything akin to a teleport can only be done by a line.

In ZDoom-based ports, however, you can put an actor hits floor actor or any of the other sector action actors in the hole to trigger a teleport special or script. I think Eternity might've adopted these as well in its UDMF and maybe Hexen format, too, although I can't speak from personal experience.

54 minutes ago, Arctangent said:

In vanilla or Boom? You're out of luck - anything akin to a teleport can only be done by a line.

In ZDoom-based ports, however, you can put an actor hits floor actor or any of the other sector action actors in the hole to trigger a teleport special or script. I think Eternity might've adopted these as well in its UDMF and maybe Hexen format, too, although I can't speak from personal experience.

Gotcha thank you

A few years ago, while using Doom Builder 1.0 and using the Hexen Format, I found a way to tag the teleport landing spot without tagging the sector. I also was able to tag the teleport sprite itself. In theory I was able to teleport myself to the landing spot without utilizing linedefs. I discovered, however, that there was a glitch with this method. The teleport only worked once and I could not go back to the previous sector utilizing this same method.

ZDoom's Teleport action lets you do both Doom-style teleport to a destination in a tagged sector, and Hexen-style teleport to a tagged destination in any sector. In fact you can even combine them to teleport to a tagged destination in a tagged sector.

Teleporter working only once would have been because you forgot the repeatable flag, presumably.