Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Red

Duke Nukem 3D keeps crashing.

I'm trying run Dunk nukem 3D under windows 95 with 355ghz 128ram geforce 2 MX400. It starts up and plays all right, but it seems to crash at random. is there something out there that lets it run locally under windows?

If you have a sound card that's based off of a Soundscape (I have a SBPCI128, and I have the problem) all build engine games (Duke, Shadow Warrior, Blood) will crash if you run them under windows and echoing starts. Examples are the some caves in duke 3d, the sewers in duke 3d, the reflective powerup in blood, etc. You can fix it by:

-rebooting into dos and playing it windows free
-download the patch from 3d realms

Unfortunately Monolith never released a patch for Blood. :( Gotta get this SBLIVE working! Ugh.

RailGunner said:

I think he means 335mhz.

And I think pritch alread knew that =P

elbryan42 said:

Unfortunately Monolith never released a patch for Blood. :( Gotta get this SBLIVE working! Ugh.

No, but someone made a hack for it. I know it exists because I've played Blood without the reverb effect.

Nonono... I have a Sound Blaster PCI 128, that's based off of the Soundscape hardware, so it crashes with echo effects. The Sound Blaster Live runs works great with it, but froze up a lot with my old MB. Now I have a new puter, so I can use my SBLive, EXCEPT I lost my driver CD. And the software that comes with the downloadable drivers are crap. So until I find the CD, I can't play Blood without it crashing.

elbryan42 said:

Nonono... I have a Sound Blaster PCI 128, that's based off of the Soundscape hardware, so it crashes with echo effects. The Sound Blaster Live runs works great with it, but froze up a lot with my old MB. Now I have a new puter, so I can use my SBLive, EXCEPT I lost my driver CD. And the software that comes with the downloadable drivers are crap. So until I find the CD, I can't play Blood without it crashing.

Hey! this must be MY problem with Blood! it never worked right on my machine with the SB PCI 128. Hmm, learn something sorta new everyday.

umm I ment 533mhz. and I'm pretty sure I typed that to begin with.

anyway, I don't think it's the SB live bug. but it might have to do with sound... My sound carde is strange... I couldn't tell what it is.

saddly old DOS games have gone the way of the doo-doo, my best guess would be to find a DOS driver that supports that card. usally such DOS drivers are sb16 or awe32/64 compatible. if u install a DOS driver make sure u have windows process the autoexec.bat file( run command msconfig to check) this almost always work. however the DOS driver may not like windows so be careful. also u could go out and buy a $20 universal sound card( these cards are usally made by companies who make it all. they all are SB 32/64 compatible and come with every driver needed even a win95/98 DOS driver. thought they have basics of newer features they are really great for running both new and old stuff) also U can try playing with irq's and or DMA's this can help alot. i try to set irq's for sound cards at 9,5 or 7. many games like certian irq's for cards. tombraider was horrible for this and would set my sb awe 64 at the wrong irq, this would crash after u tested the setting at install. when working in DOS you should always know that type of stuff. Also if u got XP i have goten duke to run, however xp dos emulation only has 8 bit SB support(WTF!? 8-BIT? why not 16 and better yet 32-128?)

Luckily the SBPCI128 has emulated dos sound in Windows. Works great except for that damn echoing-Build-engine-games crashing thing.

Yeah, Ken Silverman (The guy behind the BUILD engine) has a bunch of no-reverb patches on his personal site. You know, the one I can't find the adress to.

Trasher][ said:
Yeah, Ken Silverman (The guy behind the BUILD engine) has a bunch of no-reverb patches on his personal site. You know, the one I can't find the adress to.

Here?

Ok, but there's STILL no Blood patch. You can get the Duke and SW patches thru 3D Realms.