Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spiritmaze

Epic, adventure-style, beautiful architecture, immersive wads

Hi guys,

I'm a long time lurker and only decided to sign up today.

I'm looking for wads that really take you on an immense, immersive journey and blow you away with monolithic architecture and world-building.

Wads I've played that fit this mould would be;

Sunlust (really blew me away. Possibly the best adventure I've ever taken).

Alien Vendetta (obvious choice)

Lainos maps such as 5till L1 Complex, Overdose and the Wad created as team BOS - Sacrament (EPIC!)
Mutiny (I really enjoyed the cyberpunk theme - reminded me of classic animes like Akira)

Scythe 2

Lunatic (on a smaller scale, but I found this epic and very immersive. The luna theme and the design of the maps is beautiful)

Epic 2 (hit and miss on the maps, but I found myself enthralled by the overall journey)

Equinox (If Equinox's scale was combined with Lunatic's design and gameplay then it would be a perfect wad)

Unloved (only for the first half, before it deteriorates)

Planisphere 2 (for the pure, epic scale of playing in a replica NYC. Phenomenal architecture and best city map I've ever played. The lack of detail and lighting in this map actually gives it a charming, cartoonish kind of appeal).

The Inquisitor series,BTSX, SoulCrusher, anything by Lainos, Pirate Doom.Planisphere 1 is good, Alt, License to Spell Doom and a bunch more I can't remember at the moment....

Jade Earth

Arcadia Demade

Hellbound

Ancient Aliens

JPCP is a mixed bag, as some maps are small and others are large, and no two maps follow the same theme. I think there are a bunch in there that you won't want to miss though, particularly maps 25-29.

Doom II reloaded,Echelon,Memento Mori,Requiem,Eternal Doom,Ancient Aliens,Valiant,Hellbound,Community Chest series,Plutonia 2 and Plutonia revisited,Japanese community project,Mano Laikas,Speed of Doom ... Damn,you should dig cacoward winners and megawad club of more interesting stuff. 

CC4 map11

And also Hellcore 2.0

The gameplay can be uneven, but there is a truck load of eye candy and unusual spaces.

Edited by Aquanet

"Castle of Evil" (CASTEVIL.WAD) from 1994, I gave it 10 points in that other thread.

It is a truly awesome map even by 201x standards.

Thanks for all these great recommendations. So far I've played Foursite which I absolutely loved. Quite a surreal, beautiful and trippy adventure. Moonblood (recommended of the Cacoward nominations thread) was just completed this evening and I have just found my new favorite megawad. I'll slowly make my way through the rest of these. 

Edited by spiritmaze : spelling

Chris Lutz Inferno, Eternal Doom, Alien Vendetta MAP20 is a thing of beauty and much more. Also Deus Vult 2 had some epic maps for sure when it came to size and scale. Seeing screenshots of it was the inspiration for Vulcana in WOS.wad (MAP25) and Vulcana 2 in Cchest4.wad (MAP26)

Eternal Doom is a wad i really want to like. I've started it a few times, but I get stuck on the increasingly complex, maze-like levels and I always have to resort to youtube for navigation assistance and that just breaks the vibe for me (I hate cheating). I love the visuals of Eternal Doom though, just wish I was smart enough for it!

Agreed Alien Vendetta Map 20 is sublime. Need to check out DV2 and Inferno.

OK... here we go. These are the best "adventure/world building" projects I know about...

Grove - Dripping with atmosphere but contains painfully obscure clues for solving the map.

Happy Time Circus - Less fun to play, more fun to experience. Travel from an abandoned town to an undergrown clown nightmare. (There is a sequel and I can't remember which is better)

Phocas Island - More of an adventure game than a Doom mod. Like grove, but far more expansive and epic in scope. Has the same issue with frustrating clues and puzzles.

Foreverhood - Total conversion that places you into a completely different game. Rich environment and imaginary world filled with hand-drawn textures.

Cold as Hell - Really sets the mood with a 1940s/WWII demon invasion.

Eteranal Doom IV - Map27 - Espi's last map and one of the largest and most detailed maps ever built. Imagine a sprawling castle on a plateau overlooking the valley below.

S.U.P.E.R. Natural - Just a demo... but holy cow, this thing was ambitious. Unfortunately no update since 2016.

i've never played the first Happy Time Circus, but Happy Time Circus 2 is easily one of the best horror Doom mods i've ever played. it rids itself of many horror cliches, like jumpscares, and most of the horror comes from the dreary atmosphere and not knowing what'll happen next. definitely recommend that one.

The Talosian Incident is probably one of my favorite atmospheric Doom mods, largely because of the really cool ambient music, giving it a very different feel from other wads of the time. it might look pretty plain by today's standards, but i still think it's worth a playthrough at least.

if you don't like Eternal Doom, it might at least be worth it to run through some of the more memorable levels. all of the ones by Sverre Kvernmo aka Soundblock are worth going through; those are maps 4, 5 and 12 IIRC. and as mentioned before, Espi's map27 of Eternal Doom 4 is a must-play.

i rather like Roger Ritenour's Pleiades. Ritenour's wads are kinda painful to play, but honestly, Pleiades actually played pretty well in my opinion. nothing as random as Phobos or as painful to trudge through as Earth, it contains some pretty inventive visual hacks in the Doom engine. it is a bit weird, especially in how you progress in some levels, but still, i think it's neat.

While it's up to you to decide if it's worth downloading entire megaWAD just for a few maps, Whitemare and Whitemare 2 both have immersive maps in the 15 slot.

Hellcore 2.0 may be more fun to meander through with -nomonsters for some of the maps (or -notarget if using a zdoom based port, some of the comical monster placement in map 4 is best viewed with -notarget)

I'm going to shamelessly promote two of my latest wads, first being released last September, "Plutonium Sandpit" which is a Gzdoom in Hexen Format stuff. Been mapping over 20 years and it was my first attempt at Zdoom FX, Beastiary etc. Takes place on an abandoned desert planet outpost. https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/j-l/ka_tech

2nd takes place in an ancient Mayan Pyramid complex, The Brotherhood of Ruin: Lost Temple - https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/bor_lost

Also needs Zdoom or Gzdoom to play :)

Other really amazing custom wads, adventurous have been Scythe 2, Deus Vult, Community Chest series, Stronghold: At the Edge of Chaos and many others, not to forget Knee-Deep in Zdoom. Have fun!

I played that Eternal Doom IV map27 and almost didn't want to play Doom in it. It's like walking through an art museum or across an ancient ruin and people are shooting at you.

I only count what I remembered and played not so long ago. If I remember something, I'll add it here ...

Doom_Font_Green_Arrow.png  Putrefier (Ed C., 2012)
Doom_Font_Green_Arrow.png  Swim With The Whales (Ribbiks, 2013)
Doom_Font_Green_Arrow.png  MWDoom - Episode 1: What dwells within... (Magic-Walker, 2014)
Doom_Font_Green_Arrow.png  Warphouse (Ed C., 2016)
Doom_Font_Green_Arrow.png  Autopsy (MyNameIs, 2017)
Doom_Font_Green_Arrow.png  UACVinur Prime Research Base (Zanieon, 2017)
Doom_Font_Green_Arrow.png  Atlas Complex. Waste Processing (Guardsoul, 2017)

Now I really want to play this map27 by Espi. 

Back on op's question, maybe Temple of the Lizardman series fits in.