Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Friday Night Deathmatch League, anybody?

I just got ZDaemon and really enjoy playing online.  Would anybody be interested in starting a Friday Night Deathmatch League?  

I can flex on the time a little bit, but what I was thinking was a schedule like this:

Friday Nights at 8:00PM Central Time (US), goes until whenever, using only the Doom2 IWAD.  But depending on how easy it will be to get everyone to download a certain map or something, we can possibly do that too.

My name in ZDaemon is TraceOfSpades if anyone is interested.

When you host a wad on Zdaemon, Odamex or Zandronum, GetWad (or wadseeker) automatically downloads it for the clients as they connect. Pretty much everyone dislikes FFA on the plain Doom2 maps since they're so huge. If you want to make sure people can get the wad as they connect, upload it to http://doomshack.org or http://allfearthesentinel.net (if it's not already there, that is.)

I don't know if you'd call it a league, but I'm always down to have some FFA on the weekends. Just finished playing like 10 rounds of FNF over on Zandronum, there was over 10 people at peak.

Some wads I recommend hosting (stuff that brings the players in/stuff that I just like):

Execution + British DM

Dwango Pack

Greenwar

Udm3

UdmX

Lazarus1j

Onsl3_

Diet DBAB (maps are fresh as hell)

There's way more mapsets than that of course but that should give you an idea of what people are generally after. Also if you're hosting from your house, the ping might be shitty for basically everyone else, so keep that in mind. Most of these wads are hosted on the Doomshack Zdaemon servers which are in the US but give a decent ping to international players as well, but if there's anything else you'd like to see hosted just give a shout.

I'm always down for some DMs on any port, but you won't catch me dead on an iWad map ;p

Best bet is just to go with the servers already up with good ping and fun wads people already want to play.

Decay brought up a good point, FNF (Friday Night Fragnight) on Zandronum happens right around the hour you're proposing, it would probably be best to get in on that with the rest of us and move this to saturday nights. Come to #dmstuff or any other mutliplayer Doom IRC chatrooms if you want to find others to play, or just browse the Zdaemon/Zandronum/Odamex master lists, there's usually at least one DM going on at any time.

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Decay brought up a good point, FNF (Friday Night Fragnight) on Zandronum happens right around the hour you're proposing, it would probably be best to get in on that with the rest of us and move this to saturday nights. Come to #dmstuff or any other mutliplayer Doom IRC chatrooms if you want to find others to play, or just browse the Zdaemon/Zandronum/Odamex master lists, there's usually at least one DM going on at any time.

I know poor tracey is going to ignore this message, and probably any advice from me because my enormous ego hurts his overly sensitive feelings, but friday is also bad in the event odamex nitro runs too. Saturday also runs an event, ZDS. Instead of trying to start something, let alone on iwad maps which is possibly the shittiest dm you can host, it would be better to actually attend the events that are already hosted across the ports and actually play for more than a day to figure out player population dynamics and map packs.

Also doesn't help there are VERY few doomworld multiplayer players though I'd like to see this change.

Zdaemon already has events just look: join zdaemon sessions for dm (idk if wednesday night flags or whatever still runs)

doom2 dm is awful

if you don't regard the above enjoy getting like 4 players the first time and then 2 afterwards

WNF was discontinued a long time ago. There was also a DM event on sundays (FYBO) which suddenly stopped running in December. So it's only TNS and ZDS still running on ZDaemon.