Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

[3DGE] Ancient Egyptian gameplay mod for EPIC2.WAD

Gameplay mod to go along with EPIC 2 (https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/epic2), one my favourite megawads. This mod takes the concept of Ancient Egypt vs 20th century and goes all out with new weapons, items, power-ups, enemies, textures, gameplay mechanics, etc. Practically turning it into a total conversion. Set around the 1930's, it features a large diverse arsenal starting with conventional weaponry (guns, explosives, etc.) and later more otherwordly counterparts (magical weapons) and time/theme appropiate enemies and monsters for you to fight along the way. Will also have lots of new decorational items, ambience sound effects and visual special effects to furhter immerse you into the world, all while without any edits done to the original levels. Taking a great deal of inspiration from Powerslave/Exhumed, Blood, Tomb Raider, Killing Time, Indiana Jones and The Mummy. And DOOM, of course.

Get the beta here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gameplay-mod-for-epic-2

Powerslave/Exhumed soundtrack: http://www.mediafire.com/file/3y69idcsbsbuelz/mod4epic_music.ZIP
Download "lite" version here (weapons & items only): http://www.mediafire.com/file/z7po8z1zllzx2lc/egyptmod.zip

SCREENSHOTS: (warning, lots of 'em):

DLfk9AX.pngrJXatOG.pngNkyPtv2.pngL2PXvoT.pngPXagOuY.pngubUkiD7.pngLvgJBtA.pngMO4pxwh.pngiRdVJ6c.pngiXrCZiR.pngMhlugvO.pngb7V0qau.pngknXKoDP.pnguNTL1sB.pngi0w5daW.pngTUemCFg.pngvv3JNKf.pngq6ooqQi.pngigSnZno.png9XrSSe9.pngVNyajMY.pngdXlxDZj.png456zsco.pngtRW8QPx.pngISGQ5Le.pngjNlUbai.pngWaGVRqC.pngvJ2djMM.pngacColP7.pngEEcRYLN.pngkJYPhAh.pngUUiSAX9.png00POeLt.pngu40ykOi.pnguE8DFIQ.pngCQXWlz3.pngnFMjAhh.pngVhbgH4M.pngBczMrbd.png9fFgVH9.pngkqpmxdf.png

WEAPONS:

Machete
OPvMF5u.png

Revolver
sHPXcGj.png

Coach Gun
VCkpHE4.png

Thompson
cPwL42m.png

Flame Thrower
7QXz1fz.png

Dynamite
HPS6wxq.png

Cobra Staff
xTXhWRI.png

Gauntlet of Ra
gnx6ek2.png

Life Leech
6SoFYoj.png

ARTIFACTS:

Ankh of Life (full health)

jRpVJye.png

Ring of Deity (invulnerability)
Ue4RD4M.png

Increased weapon damage (melee & hitscan)
N7ZRZE7.png

Unseen Eye (invisibility)
P5TrRog.png

Protective Anklet
5Bbw70R.png

Enchanted Torch
e3nEvgd.png

Map
YOdkbRh.png

NEW MONSTERS:

Cultists

ge6vZAY.png0PPD5fX.pngCAnUVv5.png

Anubis Warrior
1l6CgEY.png

Mummy
MjZOgVM.png

Stone Mummy
VmHtJSW.png

Vampire Bat
cSGTQ5G.png

Omen Wasp
OR0n6iL.png

Death Incarnate
8d0GuLc.png

Mancubus (ancestor)
Aeoiedj.png

Automatron
juGTbhZ.png

CREDITS:

id Software

Lobotomy Software
Studio 3DO
Monolith Productions
Iguana Entertainment
Raven Software
3D Realms
Core Design
Gremlin
Alexander "Eternal" S.
Mike12
Don Tello / Cory Whittle
Eriance
Glen Payne & Marshal Bostwick

Edited by CeeJay

Whilst I'm downloading; is there a high-quality music replacement at all for EPIC 2? Midi with 3DGE is on the nasty side...

Okay, I try to run this but 3DGE asks for the -v135 command line parameter. Fair enough, I made a .bat file with that. Now it asks for a -v129 parameter; and if I change it, asks for -v135 again. :/

[edit]

Wait a sec, the problem's with epic2.wad itself. The mod alone works fine with -v135. @Coraline -- I've also had this problem elsewhere with PLUTONIA.WAD as the IWAD (I wanted to play through with CeeJay's Doom Forever, because it's excellent). Any idea why this may be happening?

[edit 2]

Okay, so I had to edit the #VERSION in edge2.wad's LANGPLUT (and LANGTNT) lumps, both IWADs work now. epic2.wad still gives me the -v129 error on its own, yet contains no DDF lumps. There is a DEHACKED lump containing some text replacements, is this the problem?

Edited by Jayextee

Yes, the problem lies with EPIC2.WAD itself but what exactly is causing it, i've no idea. I use the recent build of 3DGE which doesn't prompt back to Windows and instead only adds the error message to debug.txt.

I'd say this was a bit of a mistake as it makes compatibility between WADs more complicated than what it needs to be.

No way, blood alpha shotgun is best shotgun.

Finally someone makes an angled Blood style revolver that not only doesn't look like shit, but actually looks awesome. Granted, I haven't seen it fire yet. Are there any gameplay videos of this in action?

Also, if you want custom music, I can link you the soundtrack to Crypt Killer. Epic 2 had pretty bad music choices all-around.

Okay. It's working.

• open EPIC2.WAD in SLADE
  • either delete DEHACKED lump or (as I did) rename it to something
  • save EPIC2.WAD
  • open MOD4EPIC.WAD
  • edit DDFLANG to paste the following block of text to the end
Map01Desc="01: entrance";
Map02Desc="02: voodoo";
Map03Desc="03: black magic";
Map04Desc="04: sarcophagus";
Map05Desc="05: abu garab";
Map06Desc="06: revived bones";
Map07Desc="07: hell guard";
Map08Desc="08: karnak temple";
Map09Desc="09: mystery";
Map10Desc="10: goldmine";
Map11Desc="11: the tower";
Map12Desc="12: alien ship";
Map13Desc="13: mebius";
Map14Desc="14: orion's belt";
Map15Desc="15: astral base";
Map16Desc="16: DNA replicate";
Map17Desc="17: hologram";
Map18Desc="18: gunman";
Map19Desc="19: escape";
Map20Desc="20: anomaly zone";
Map21Desc="21: shore dream";
Map22Desc="22: mummy zone";
Map23Desc="23: oasis";
Map24Desc="24: hentiamenti";
Map25Desc="25: per nefer";
Map26Desc="26: luxor";
Map27Desc="27: ammut";
Map28Desc="28: ogdoad";
Map29Desc="29: mortuary";
Map30Desc="30 amenthes";
Map31Desc="31: osirion";
Map32Desc="32: the harbour";

level7text="The ancient catacombs turn out to be\npopulated with unthinkable creatures\nfrom Hell and the putrescent remains of\npeople raised from the dead by the Mages'\nmystical rituals. Roaring and moaning,\nthey roam in search of the next victim.\nUncountable treasures may be hidden\nsomewhere deep underground, but that's\nsomething you find hard to think about\nat the moment; what you want is to get out\nof here, fast. Perhaps those fiery Mages\ncame here not by accident... wonder what\nthey want. And these portals that throw\nyou around hither and thither among\nthe ruins, where will they take you?"
level12text="The picture has become clear. The alien\nintruders are searching the ancient ruins\nfor some artifacts that may have been\nhidden by their distant ancestors, in\norder to join them together and with the\nhelp of  their power take possession of\nthe Universe. You are the one to\nsubvert their plans! Sinking into the\ndepths of outer space on the alien shuttle\nyou ponder how differently yesterday's\nmorning walk among the ruins could have\nended. At home over a cup of coffee, or\nover a few beers with friends at a bar.\nSomething takes shape on the radar's screen\nhmmm... looks like a space station."
level21text="The aliens are over and done with,\nbut what's this? Have you died?\nOr maybe you just dreamed it all up?\nHow nice it would be in Paradise now!\nAn imaginary Paradise... whose flip side\nwill always be somewhere nearby."
endgametext="Magnificent! The source of evil has been\ndestroyed and the dead have returned\nto their sarcophagi. There, in the depths\nof the crypts, their  remains will stay\nas a reminder of the mysterious forces\nconcealed within the Universe.\n\nSome day they, too, will dissolve in time\nand become the dust on the roads\ntraveled by the heroes of future\ngenerations."
level31text="Excellent! Hmmm... well, maybe not really.\nEverything seems to point to the fact that\nyou picked the wrong portal. What is this?\nA time sinkhole? Last time you checked\nthe pyramids looked completely different...\nhowever, few people can afford such\na sightseeing trip, so keep right on!\nLet's see sights the way they were created.\n"
level32text="Well, this is just great!\nTo pick the wrong teleporter twice\nin a row... now this starts to look\nmore and more like someone's evil scheme.\nThere's only one thing to cheer you up:\nit seems that you have made it out of\nthe past in one piece."

...of course, save the lump and MOD4EPIC.WAD and we're good to go.

So yeah, hopefully I'll be able to enjoy this. Never got around to EPIC2 before now...

@Impie Thanks for the suggestion, but ripping all the music from YouTube (converting to .OGG?) and putting it all into a .wad seems to be a bit more effort than I'm willing to put in for this. I'll grit my teeth and tolerate the midi, then.

9 hours ago, DoodGuy said:

If you want good coach gun sprites try with Serious Sam.

You do know Serious Sam use models and not sprites, right?

As for the music, i've uploaded the intended soundtrack. Was never a fan of the music in Epic 2 either. To be honest, I also find the later levels to be a little "meh" which is among the reasons I dropped the whole project to focus my efforts on Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited.

7 hours ago, CeeJay said:

As for the music, i've uploaded the intended soundtrack.

YES! I was halfway thinking about the Exhumed/Powerslave music -- I have it on an old computer somewhere from when I was sorta toying around with making a 3DGE version of the whole thing.

10 hours ago, CeeJay said:

You do know Serious Sam use models and not sprites, right?

As for the music, i've uploaded the intended soundtrack. Was never a fan of the music in Epic 2 either. To be honest, I also find the later levels to be a little "meh" which is among the reasons I dropped the whole project to focus my efforts on Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited.

I know it uses models, you can rip the idle model and use it as a sprite, and so on with reload animations. But hey, it's your call.