Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

What other non-fps game series do you like?

What are some of your favorite game series? (please do not count any other FPS because we all know that most of us are fans of games like Duke Nukem,Quake,Shadow warrior,Blood,Powerslave etc.)I myself am a big fan of the megaman series (Zero is my favorite sub-series),the Castlevania series (Curse of Darkness is my favorite) and other series like Legacy of Kain or Medievil.

Edited by SOSU

Fallout: I've played every single one of these games and I love each one even Fallout 4 which people seem to bash a lot, some of the best experiences for me.

Mafia: The first one was a masterpiece, playing Mafia 2 right now but I really am enjoying it so far. Dont know if I'll pick Mafia 3 however.

The Elder Scrolls: I'll Always like Fallout more, but still a very good and enjoyable series.

Thief: I've only played 1 and 2, but these games really opened up a whole new way of playing a video game that I've never encountered before. Theres something very fun about staying hidden and observing enemy patrol routes and such.

Deus Ex:The first one was and still is a unique gaming experience that is still unmatched to this day. I also played HR and enjoyed it but it still isn't as good as the first.

I really enjoy platforming games like Super Mario bros, Donkey Kong Country, etc. I also really have gotten into Final Fantasy lately as well. Mostly FF9 the mmo FF14 more recently. Also a huge fan of Yooka-Laylee and the games it models itself after. And the Zelda series does it for me too ;)

That is a hard one (I wanted to put Doom like games, Half life and Deus Ex). Here goes:

Childhood favourites:

Ratchet and Clank

Crash Bandicoot (especially Crash Tag Team Racing, Crash 3 Warped and Crash of the titans)

Spyro (haven't played much, but I still like it)

Gran Turismo (lots of fun with friends)

God of War

Teenage years favourites:

Assassin's Creed (everything before Black flag)

Hitman (I enjoyed Blood Money, Contracts, Absolution)

GTA (aka <<cheats and fun simulator>>)

Shadow of the Beast (its atmosphere is unrivaled to this day for me)

Diablo (only played Diablo 3, which was a bit boring at times, but I respect Diablo 2 and love 1's <<everything is dead>> theme)

The Elder Scrolls (Daggerfall is the best in my opinion, but I enjoy other titles of the series too)

Prototype (fun roaming around with superpowers)

There are probably others I forgot to mention (I will edit this if I remember anything) and this wasn't an easy thread to answer, as I generally don't stay with a series for long periods of time. I finish the games and that's it (with a few exceptions, such as Doom).

Edited by ShotgunDemolition

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise, F.E.A.R. franchise (though I loathed 2 and refuse to acknowledge its existence), and Shadow Warrior franchise.

I like a wide variety of games. A random sampling:

Metroid

Mega Man

Metal Gear Solid

Fallout

XCOM (the new series)

Deus Ex

FEAR series (2 is my favorite, 3 can DIAF)

the Souls series (I'll beat them someday)

Resident Evil

Marathon

Wipeout

Pathologic

I am a massive sim racer outside of Doom and run a league. Currently putting a lot of hours with rFactor2 and played a lot of rFactor back in the day.

I have also wasted far too much of my life playing Football Manager (and Champ Manager years ago).

Other favourite series:

Command & Conquer (Westwood era stuff)

Metal Gear Solid

GTA (GTA III onwards, i did play a lot of the original GTA way back when but it was not really that good in hindsight)

Half Life

Crash Bandicoot (PS1 era)

Sonic (8/16 bit era)

Streets of Rage

Mario (including Mario Kart games) - generally can't go wrong with them. SMB3, SMW and Mario Kart 64 are my favourites

Gran Turismo (mostly 1-4... i haven't owned a current gen console since PS2 and racing games are better on PC with a wheel and all that good stuff anyway)

Castlevania (8/16 bit era again, never gotten around to trying out later games)

Mega Man (8 bit games mostly even if they are the same thing over and over)

Long list:

Gran Turismo

Midnight Club

Armored Core

Serious Sam

Street Fighter

Art of Fighting

Fatal Fury

Metal Slug

King of Fighters

Prince of Persia

Painkiller

Mortal Kombat

Just Cause

Samurai Shodown

Ninja Gaiden

Ratchet and Clank

Jak

Sly

God of War

Just Cause

Need for Speed(except anything after Carbon)

Burnout

Castlevania

Medievil

Tekken

Metroid

Super Mario

Manga based games, like Hokuto no Ken, Dragon Ball(except anything after RB2), Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu-gi-oh, that kind of thing.

There's more, but i can't remember.

Well, if we're cutting FPS-type stuff out of it:

Disciples

Master of Orion

Warcraft (but mostly Warcraft II, and no, I don't WoW)

Castlevania (early installments at least)

Diablo (mostly the first one / The Hell mod)

Other favorite stuff of mine is mostly singleton releases so I don't know if they'd qualify for mention in a "game series" thread.

I actually don't like more than a handful of FPS games, but Duke Nukem 3D is great as are the 2 Left 4 Dead games! The older half of the Mario series as well as the older half of the Castlevania series are both excellent as well. I feel like focus was lost some time ago, especially on Castlevania's side, but still both great series. I'm also a fanatic for Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 & 2!

@Doomkid @ETTiNGRiNDER @Scotty You guys need to play the other castlevania games

Here is my recommendation list:
GBA:
all 3 of them
DS:
all 3 of them

PS1:

Both

PS2:
Both

PS3:

NO JUST NO

Wii:

OH GOD NO.

I played one of the GBA ones a year or so back after having it recommended to me -  Can't remember off the top of my head which one it was, but I wasn't keen on leveling up and backtracking and stuff which seemed to be (sort of) prominent. Not to say it was a bad game of course, it was pretty appealing, but the first Castlevania just nailed that "super challenging forward progression" feel so well. If someone asked me how I felt about the series on the whole though, I would mostly have positive things to say!

Alright, recommend your 3 best from the modern ones then, would definitely give them a play :)  (PS1/GBA good cause i can emulate them!). As long as they are not too maze like, which is something i heard about the modern stuff. Like Doomkid i like the direct and simple challenge of the older games.

16 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Alright, recommend your 3 best from the modern ones then, would definitely give them a play :)  (PS1/GBA good cause i can emulate them!). As long as they are not too maze like, which is something i heard about the modern stuff. Like Doomkid i like the direct and simple challenge of the older games.

Well if we are only talking about the PS1 and GBA titles then i would recomemnd Symphony of the night which is big and has a lot to do in it,Aria of sorrow on GBA because it is very fun,not really maze like and pretty short (not if you want to collect all souls wich in that one are the "powerups") and chronicles on PS1 because it came out in 2001 but is a classic linear Castlevania game (it is a remake of a remake of castlevania 1 and it also contains the original remake)

@SOSU

I've played Symphony of the Night, Harmony of Dissonance and Circle of the Moon, those were all good too.  I guess I mean "old style" more as in the sidescroller ones, I don't really have a clue about the 3D ones.

7 minutes ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

@SOSU

I've played Symphony of the Night, Harmony of Dissonance and Circle of the Moon, those were all good too.  I guess I mean "old style" more as in the sidescroller ones, I don't really have a clue about the 3D ones.

For some good old sidescrolling castlevania action you can check out Chronicles on PS1,Dracula X chronicles on PSP and adventure rebirth on WII (its a wiiware title

And about the 3d ones....the first (castlevania 64) was terrible but the sequel (Legacy of darkness) was a great game and even contains the "good version" of the first one,then there are lamment of innosence and curse of darkness on ps2 wich are great (curse of darkness is my favorite castlevania game) and then there is....the lord of shadows games on ps3,xbox 360 and pc wich are......god of war and shadow of the colossus clones....

Mario.

Mario Kart.

Mortal Kombat.

Grand Theft Auto.

Metroid.

CastleVania.

Arkham.

Lego.

The Elder Scrolls.

In no particular order...

• Metroid (mostly the Prime series)
  • Dawn of War, and most 40K games...
  • Warcraft (including WoW)
  • Starcraft
  • Darius
  • DoDonPachi
  • The Last Blade
  • Fatal Fury
  • Red Alert
  • Command & Conquer
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Dance Dance Revolution
  • Wipeout

Diablo (first is fav but second one is great too), Carmageddon (first one especially but also enjoy the third game and the new one), Postal (again the first game is the best), Silent Hill (first four but personal favorite is the first), Grand Theft Auto (III and Vice City are my favorites), and Devil May Cry (first one as well as the third and the 'new' one).

Edited by cyan0s1s

If I had a top 10 it'd probably be stuff like, Doom, Super Mario 64, (Many) Call of Duty, Quake 3 Arena, Castlevania 4, Diablo II, Terraria, Skate 3, Warcraft 2 and Age of Empires. 

Others that I enjoy include: Resident Evil 2, Skyrim, Fallout, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Smash TV, Mario Kart, Guitar Smith and I'm sure there's a lot more.

A lot of the games that I used to like really haven't held up. THPS is trash after playing Skate, Goldeneye/Perfect Dark/Turok have crap controls.

While it could be considered a FPS, I think the gameplay is special enough to differentiate from "normal" FPS games: Descent. I actually love and hate it and the same time because of the damn unforgiving difficulty.

I also love the MechWarrior series to the death, even though I suck at them.

I like car games as well, specially Carmageddon and the Need for Speed series.

And as an exception from my normal videogame choices, I really like Portal.

Half Life

Quake

Battlefield

Dark Souls

Hotline Miami

Dishonored

I've yet to finish the first and third Dark souls games, but they're fun and challenging.

I have fond memories of the Ultima series: the single-player ones, not Ultima Online. I don't do MMOs.

The Elder Scrolls games. I enjoyed Daggerfall and Morrowind, and I have but never got around to Oblivion and Skyrim, but I have always and still do intend to, someday.

The reason I never got around to Oblivion and Skyrim is that I have been playing a lot of Neverwinter Nights.

Some FPS games, too but you said not to list those.