Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KVELLER

Have you finished Doom with pistol starts only?

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

If I play Doom or Doom 2 with pistol start, it should be easy...right?

Maybe "easy" isn't the most appropiate term, but it won't be a nightmare either (unless you play on Nightmare :P )

22 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Maybe "easy" isn't the most appropiate term, but it won't be a nightmare either (unless you play on Nightmare :P )

I can do it if I'm determined to do it, besides, I know Doom or Doom 2 inside out. Maybe the only exception is the Icon of Sin, because you need rockets to do the job.

I can do it if I'm determined to do it, besides, I know Doom or Doom 2 inside out. Maybe the only exception is the Icon of Sin, because you need rockets to do the job.

That shouldn't be a problem since there's a full arsenal at the start. Unless you're trying to do a pistol-only playthrough.

Pistol-only in Doom or Doom 2...still should be easy because you have the option of killing or do a speedrun or something :D 

except map 07...

Edited by leodoom85

Pistol-only in Doom or Doom 2...still should be easy because you have the option of killing or do a speedrun or something :D 

except map 07...

Well, that's another story. Personally I wouldn't have the patience to kill demons with that, and leaving anything alive goes against my nature, so...

I've finished a few Doom 1 episodes with pistol only. Well pistol and fists. Most of the time I just avoid conflict. As for Doom 2, I think in my younger years I'd do pistol start because I felt that's how Doom was designed.

Sometimes it's fun to do pistol start, and even if i didn't, it's good to know they were made for it to be possible. It gives maps a better "flow" if they're designed like that imo.

I see 0 appeal in pistol starts aside from first maps or maps after a death exit. The maps are packaged together, why would I play every one of them as a separate map? I expect megawads to be tailored to a continuous play, not pistol starts. (Unless specifically stated)

I don't know if I've completed entire episodes from a pistol start, but I have done so with many maps. Usually it's not that tough, since a much stronger weapon is available very shortly after starting.

I just finished ep.3 of Doom with using the fist and the pistol through the entire episode. Episode 1 is a bitch, M5 and M6 are the worst. Episode 2 is easier than I thought

Forgot to say that the entire playthrough of the 2 episodes will be uploaded as well. And ep.3 was more of a speedrunning pistol-fisting gameplay than killing everybody :D

I just played up to E1M7 on UV+ using only  pistol (and fist/chainsaw). It’s fun, kind of slow and relaxed. You really have to come up with a plan in many areas, since you can’t tear through stuff.

It's just naturally how I play these days. Not as a flex but I feel I can really experience a map better when I start from scratch. Fights are more intense incentive to find secrets and so on.

You just have to know the maps or play a bit more carefully. Most of us would bum rush the majority of encounters in Doom 1/2 but there are some spots you take a big risk if you lack weapons. Overall though, the original games aren't very demanding unless you maybe play on fast monsters.

Plutonia and a couple maps in TNT, sure; there are a couple hitscanner hell starts. Doom 64 might be the biggest difference in an official WAD since the chainsaw is halfway usable and the unmaker is super OP and continuous only. At least it gives you a decent reward for being a completionist and keeping a run for the whole game. The "reward" the other maps give you for continuous play takes the form of fewer rewarding and worthwhile item placements, and in the case of E4M1 it lets you keep the ass whooping you just got into the next level.

I've beaten the first three episodes saveless from a pistol start. I suck at the game, so playing Thy Flesh Consumed with that ruleset would be painful, to say the least.

Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 I've done pistol start saveless. Only recently started pistol starting with saves (only before or between encounters, never during) for other WADs and have done Memento Mori, Lost Civilization, and Resurgence this way.

The only official set I didn't pistol start every map is Doom64, due to the demon keys not carrying over but I intend to replay one day, the Unmaker is not really required. Doom 1 and 2, TNT and Plutonia are definitely possible, I've played them all on Switch in the last few years. In fact all the WADs I've played on the Unity port seem balanced for it. 

Should be noted I don't pistol start to make the game harder, it's more fun and don't have to worry about health and ammo carried over.