Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brakenwagen

how to make a simple ACS script

Question

I have been trying to find out how to do ACS scripting and have been following this tutorial and using slade but have been having no luck. Based on the web page the script should be print hello world in the console every time I enter a level (unless I’m reading it wrong). I just want to do something simple (anything) to see if I can make a script and have it work at all printing something to the console seems like the easiest thing to try.

4 answers to this question

For it to print in all maps you'd need to do this:

#library "PRINTMSG"
#include "zcommon.acs"

script "HelloWorld" ENTER
{
    print(s:"Hello World!");
}

Then in a LOADACS lump just put

PRINTMSG

and it should automatically appear on any level in any Doom game AFAIK.

The print command displays text in the middle of the screen for a few seconds, not in the console. It should appear right in the middle of your view when you load the level. 

So be clear, you've included the entire following scrip in the map, and you're running ZDoom (or a derivative) to test it?

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 ENTER
{
    print(s:"Hello World!");
} 

I tried but the LOADACS can’t find the complied script in the acs folder (that’s were slade puts it). According to this page I need to put the compiled script in-between A_START/A_END makers. So I tried that still nothing. Finally I figured out that the name of the file itself needs to be the same as the library being called in LOADACS (I simply named the file TestCode when it should have been PRINTMSG). At least now I know how to get a script running now I can try different things and see what I can do with the code. Thanks for all your help.