Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SWAGART

DOOM 1 WAD problem

Ok, so here is the task I need help with. 

I am trying to put chocolate doom onto a raspberry pi. Which has been completed. My new project is to develop a custom level and custom monster, which I understand how to do, and find the decorate file for the whole map, as well as, get it to run and compile on chocolate doom on raspbian. Can this be completed at all? Because from what I have experienced chocolate doom requires an iwad not a wad. I am also having problems placing custom monsters or having them show up as a "thing" in slade. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be gladly appreciated. I'd be willing to get into a discord call later today to hash out any problems unless somebody really knows exactly why they aren't showing up. 

1 hour ago, SWAGART said:

chocolate doom

decorate

somethin ain't addin up

Chocolate Doom doesn't support Decorate.  The only way to edit monster behavior in vanilla is with Dehacked, and I'm not even sure how Chocolate goes about handling that.  If you want to use Decorate, you'll need to use a source port that supports it, most commonly ZDoom and its derivatives. 

19 hours ago, Bauul said:

Chocolate Doom doesn't support Decorate.  The only way to edit monster behavior in vanilla is with Dehacked, and I'm not even sure how Chocolate goes about handling that.  If you want to use Decorate, you'll need to use a source port that supports it, most commonly ZDoom and its derivatives. 

can ZDoom run on raspbian?

20 hours ago, bonnie said:

somethin ain't addin up

Yeah I have no clue what I'm doing. Thanks for the constructive help though.....

2 hours ago, SWAGART said:

can ZDoom run on raspbian?

No idea I'm afraid.  There's a Ubuntu compilation on the ZDoom download pages, but I'm not sure how much Raspbian deviates from Linux.

It might be easier to just grab the source code and compile it yourself if you know how.

I'm trying to figure out how to modify the chocolate doom source code but I'm struggling to find the values for like player traits. Any idea where those would be located? and how to change them? I am currently putting ZDoom on my pi and see if that works because i would like to run custom maps that ive made from doombuilder. But if anybody knows how to just adapt the source code to form a new map that would honestly be so much easier. I'm good at C coding I just don't know where the .c file is for Player traits or how a map is developed from the source files. 

edit: i apologize for being such a shitty person here

Edited by bonnie

12 minutes ago, bonnie said:

what???

why don't you just play it??? did you make it udmf for some reason or something???

and why do you want to modify the source code??????????

what??????????????????

Idk what udmf is. I'm new to everything Doom related. I have no idea what I'm doing and modifying source code would be something I have more experience with than using developing tools, because its written in C. Now if ZDoom works on my pi, I'm going to use just decorate files. But as things currently stand all I'm trying to do is learn. If you modify source code it would modify the game which is the whole point. 

My goal is to modify Doom, doesn't matter if it is by source or by Slade and doombuilder. If I go the route of source then the whole time it would be through written source .c files. If I use Slade and doombuilder it's going to be easier but I dont have experience with them and getting them to all work on a Linux Pi. 

Start small by making a vanilla compatible level (and sharing it on Doomworld here for feedback) to learn the basics, don't even bother messing around with DECORATE just yet. Get to learn some basic stuff before dipping into intermediate or advanced modding features.

How should I start that? I have some experience with like how decorate files work but when I try to place them in Doom builder they never appear in things mode so I have no clue how to utilize them. 

If I can make just a map with a simple shape and place things as I wish that would be a good start and with ZDoom I can do it but I don't know how to do it with anything that Vanilla Doom will take and use. 

I agree with @Glaice, it sounds like you're jumping in right at the deep end.  A few general pointers:

Generally speaking, the source code isn't the best place to create custom content like monsters, and definitely isn't the place for making maps (maps are all contained in the Doom.wad file, which is totally separate to the executable).

Making custom monsters and making custom maps are two totally separate things using two totally separate approaches.  Custom monsters weren't even really possible in the original Doom (you could only edit what was there first).  The only way people generally make custom monsters today is using Decorate (which is syntax based) along with ZDoom, but that's waaaaaay down the line in terms of learning how to edit Doom.  

Mapping is more straightforward, it's GUI based (either through Slade or Doom Builder) and doesn't require a special source port to do (although the more basic the source port, the more limited the mapping options).  

I would suggest the following:

1) See if you can get Chocolate working on your Raspberry Pi, with no modifications at all.  Play it, enjoy it.

2) Use the editor of your choice (Slade, DoomBuilder 2 or GZDoomBuilder_BugFix for the full-fat option) and make a reaaaaly simple map, just to learn how.   There are lots of tutorials and guides online about how to do it.  Load it into Chocolate Doom, run around, check it works.

3) Perhaps upgrade Chocolate Doom to Crispy Doom, a fork of Chocolate that supports higher res and removes many of the vanilla limits.

4) Make another map, a bit better, and then another even better.

Getting to the point where you have a sharable map takes a few days at least, and learning how to map well takes weeks/months (years to get really, really good, like anything that's an art form).  Once you're completely comfortable with how to create maps and make something half decent (which you post here on Doomworld for us to give feedback on), then come back and we can go over how to create custom monsters.

Edit: If you really want to jump straight to making custom monsters, start here.

I tried getting Dehacked and that doesn't work on my machine and is something I really didn't want to mess with to much @bonnie

@Bauul Is there anyway to have Doom auto run a custom map from the start or would you have to manually load it each time? 

Is there anyway to have Doom auto run a custom map from the start or would you have to manually load it each time? 

Raspberry Pi supports shell scripts. You can write a one-line script to automatically load your custom file.

If you're looking for a simple way to add custom enemies in addition to the game's existing ones, you'll want to look into GZDoom (ZDoom was recently deprecated: just run the software mode on GZDoom for the equivalent). To that end, if you manage to get it running on your operating system, then you'll have something to discuss with a number of qualified experts here.

If, however, you're stuck with something like Chocolate Doom, then the very concept of custom enemies becomes a great deal more complicated. The de facto method of altering vanilla-like Doom behavior is instead create what is called a DeHackEd patch. Originally these patches were used to modify the executables, though source ports have ways of performing temporary changes. Because it's limited to a modification of the executable, the patch can't mess around too much or it'd make the binary fail altogether: thus, any changes have to fit and replace existing data. In short, if you want a new enemy, a DeHackEd patch can only do so at the cost of something else. There are enough people around that would explain it far better than I can, but know the fundamental limitation when working in this medium.

What you've suggested - modifying and recompiling at the source code level for the purpose of new enemies - is, to my knowledge, an unprecedented endeavor. If you choose that method then you're on your own, save the wisdom of the source port developers themselves. It shouldn't be an insurmountable challenge, mind you, but you'd have to distribute the entire executable alongside any WAD files just to get it to run.

@CapnClever I dont necessarily have to add new monsters to vanilla doom but just knowing where the files are to change their starting health, and the players health would be sufficient. So like the starting health of player1 is usually 100 but you could bump it up to like 150 to make him stronger type of thing. Just little modifications to get a feel for how it all works. And within chocolate doom I dont know where the actual value locations are. I was curious it that was something that somebody else would know. I'm not looking to actually change large portions of the source code because there is way to much. 

Basic modifications to existing stats can be done via DeHackEd quite easily. As for running DeHackEd itself, the original was a DOS executable: if you can load DOSBox, it should run fine there.

Once you have a patch, you can apply it to a source port with the -deh parameter. For example:

chocolate-doom -iwad doom2.wad -file myhouse.wad -deh myhack.deh

Chocolate doom doesn't allow for files to be used. It says because it's shareware version it doesn't accept -file 

Anyway to get this to work? I own a version of Ultimate Doom could I use that instead of Chocolate Doom?

...yes friend. you should use your legal copy of ultimate doom rather than the shareware epis- wait what

33 minutes ago, SWAGART said:

I own a version of Ultimate Doom could I use that instead of Chocolate Doom?

what the heck how are you so smart in some things but know so little about doom?? you PORTED chocolate doom to the thingy didn't you???? you even made maps??????????????

heck

edit: chocolate doom is a source port friend. doom is famous for it's "shareware" episode, which was the free demo of sorts for doom which included episode 1 only. because you aren't using the full version of doom, or in your case, ultimate doom, chocolate doom is using the shareware episode i guess

so just feed it your iwad (ultimate doom) and then use -file. the reason it won't let you use -file is because it's shareware and wait a frickin minute is your map in doom 2 or doom 1? c'mon man you've gotta know this one if it's in doom 2 i heckin swear

LoLOLOLOL @bonnie the map is doom1 for gods sake lol. Im dying over here youre killing me. 

Ok so if i just feed the doom wad that came with Ultimate Doom to chocolate doom i can run a file? Am I really that lost? 

3 minutes ago, SWAGART said:

Ok so if i just feed the doom wad that came with Ultimate Doom to chocolate doom i can run a file? Am I really that lost? 

i believe so but i don't know how to do that in whatever thing you're using or whatnot but if you need a place to start, in regular computational devices you just put the iwad (ultimate doom) into the same folder as chocolate doom so maybe you can do something like that i don't even know aw jeez ;~;

(then you can run files)

OMG YOU WERE RIGHT. I tried putting zdoom, gzdoom and like 90 other types of ports it seemed like to get it to work. All i need to do is make the custom level work. @bonnie youre the man, even though I feel like you trolled me all day. Thank you. Thanks for everybody's help actually!! @CapnClever @Bauul @Glaice

So all this time you were trying to use Doom1.wad and not Doom.wad as your IWAD?

Yeah.... that'll be why!

13 minutes ago, SWAGART said:

@bonnie youre the man

daaaaaaaaaw shucks :3

13 minutes ago, SWAGART said:

even though I feel like you trolled me all day.

daaaaaaaaaw jeez aw man i'm sorry ;~;

2 hours ago, Bauul said:

So all this time you were trying to use Doom1.wad and not Doom.wad as your IWAD?

Yeah.... that'll be why!

Yup. so it was locking me out of everything. Which zdoom would run so I figured that getting zdoom and messing with decorates would be the answer lol. 

2 hours ago, bonnie said:

daaaaaaaaaw shucks :3

daaaaaaaaaw jeez aw man i'm sorry ;~;

lol youre all good. I realize what I was trying to do was probably confusing as hell because I wasn't even doing the right wads lol

Yeah I got rid of it. Now I'm struggling to get it to auto run on the Raspberry Pi. Anybody have suggestions on that one?