Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Battle_Korbi

3D Floors - One requires thy help!

Question

Sigh.

I know, I know. This question has been asked a little over a BILLION times, but... how can I make a 3D floor?

Specifically, in Slade, for Zdoom and Gzdoom respectively.

I see there are functions and so, but I just don't know how to use them properly.

And I am not asking about how to make a water effect, just a ledge one can walk on and under.

Thank you for tolerating my shit.

8 answers to this question

Create a dummy sector outside the playable area.

Set its floor to the height of the bottom of the 3D floor. Set its floor texture to the flat you  want on the underside.

Set its ceiling to the height of the top of the 3D floor. Set its ceiling texture to the flat you want on the topside.

Take one linedef from it. Set its middle texture to the texture you want on the sides of the 3D floor.

Set that line's special to Sector_Set3dFloor.

Use the arguments as such:

-tag: sector tag where 3D floor must appear.

-type: 1

-flags: 0

-alpha: 255

-hi-tag/line ID: 0

That's for a Hexen format or UDMF map. For a Doom format map, use line type 281.

Note: SLADE does not yet display 3D floors in 3D mode. Sorry. So don't panic if you don't see it in the editor; what matters is that it appears when you actually test the map in GZDoom.

First you need a control sector off the map. The ceiling height and texture of this control sector will define the top of the 3D floor, the floor height and texture will define the bottom.

Next you need to put a Sector_Set3DFloor special on one of this sector's side, set its properties to what you need, and tag it to the sector where the 3D floor should appear in. The middle texture of the definition linedef will define the side textures of the 3D floor.

If all is done correctly, the 3D floor should now appear when playing the map.

I once had it described to me that the control sector is effectively "turned inside out" and used as the 3D floor.  I'm not sure if that helps at all, but it's a fun little concept!

Also, FYI slopes on 3D floors can do odd things, so be careful with those (it's something to do with the origin of the slope coming from the control sector, so on the resulting 3D floor it has weird heights and angles).

Take note that you can have multiple tags on more than one sector! This will allow you to stack multiple layers on top of each other very easily. 

This short (2:30 minute) video should help: 

This is for water, but if you just keep the 3D Floor marked as, "Solid" (it's default) it's the exact same thing.

Edited by everennui

5 hours ago, everennui said:

Take note that you can have multiple tags on more than one sector! This will allow you to stack multiple layers on top of each other very easily.

True, but it wasn't always supported unlike 3D floors themselves which have been around pretty much forever. I ran into issues using sectors with multiple tags and actions not happening due to older GZDoom not even recognizing the second tag. In these cases I prefer to make a new tag to use for both actions and add the new tag into the equation to keep compatibility.

I've probably made over 1,000 3D Floors and I haven't ran into a problem with it in 2.1+. Why would anyone use an older version than that? That's how I used to do it, but this way is a lot quicker.