Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NecrumWarrior

Cheap Doom at Walmart

I was just perusing the pc software section at my local Walmart, and noticed that they are selling copies of Doom for pc at the insane low price of 20 dollars! I bought the game at release and think it was worth every penny, but for those of you who held out for a great deal this might be the best price you'll find since Steam still sells it for 60 without sales. 

Damn, that is dirt cheap. In my country I think it costed 30 euros, last time I checked it on a local store and it wasn't that long ago.

59 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

It's amazing how fast new games become "old"...

So true! I remember buying Battlefield 4, one year after its release, for 15 euros (I wondered why was it so cheap). Although I couldn't run it on my potato laptop over 30 fps, which sucked. And then on Steam, the prices are steady no matter how much time passes by, as NecrumWarrior already said. Like when I found Black Ops 2 being sold for full price on Steam after all these years (just why???).

1 hour ago, 42PercentHealth said:

It's amazing how fast new games become "old"...

I know! I bought Deus Ex Human Revolution for 20 bucks within the same year of its release some tome ago. The weird thing though is that usually prices on games that sell well will stay very high, despite them already making back the money they spent on making the games, but the games that don't sell well usually get axed to try and move the product. I understand the latter but come on, selling a Pokemon game for the same price as the day it released like 3 years later is just stupid and greedy. I think in this case Walmart just doesn't want Doom's filthy violence in their stores any more and wants to get rid of them. Take advantage of it!

2 minutes ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

Be sure I will do that. :)

I can tell by your Hell Knight avatar that you'll love it, they based the Hell Knight in Doom 2016 on the Doom 3 version to differentiate it from the Baron of Hell.

Yeah, that was kind of my problem, to hear people say the Hell knight is a palette swap of the Baron, but now it is long gone.

2 hours ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

Damn, that is dirt cheap. In my country I think it costed 30 euros, last time I checked it on a local store and it wasn't that long ago.

So true! I remember buying Battlefield 4, one year after its release, for 15 euros (I wondered why was it so cheap). Although I couldn't run it on my potato laptop over 30 fps, which sucked. And then on Steam, the prices are steady no matter how much time passes by, as NecrumWarrior already said. Like when I found Black Ops 2 being sold for full price on Steam after all these years (just why???).

EA very rarely allows sales on the Call of Duty games, and if they do it's at most 50%. They're still selling the original Call of Duty on Steam for $20, which is what I bought it for new in 2005. I guess, like Nintendo, they don't reduce the price of their games because it will "cheapen the brand". Unlike releasing a half-assed update every year and cannibalizing your own games. 

4 hours ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

I remember buying Battlefield 4, one year after its release, for 15 euros (I wondered why was it so cheap). Although I couldn't run it on my potato laptop over 30 fps, which sucked.

You call that a potato laptop? I got 2 fps in Battlefield 3 with everything set to minimum. Damn, even GZDoom lags.

11 hours ago, KVELLER said:

You call that a potato laptop? I got 2 fps in Battlefield 3 with everything set to minimum. Damn, even GZDoom lags.

Basically, not a potato laptop in general. I mean, I had it for like 3-5 years and the first 3 years it could play games on medium for 30 to 40 fps and I love it just for that. But then time passed and it became irrelevant to today's hardware. Sure, it has an i5 which is great (first gen though), but the graphics card is its Achilles heel (2 words: mobility radeon). Thanks to the GPU the fps are never enough and the drivers are really unstable. Don't get me wrong. I have finished AC4 in the past with almost locked 20 fps, but in Battlefield it couldn't maintain even 20 at heavy moments (sorry for not mentioning, but 30 was on a peaceful place).

In my opinion, FPS games should be played with more frames, because of the fast action, while framerate in RPGs wouldn't matter for me that much.

Also my father's computer (I used it when I didn't have mine yet) could run Brotherhood at 5 fps and Modern Warfare 1 was somewhat playable on that PC, so I know what if feels like KVELLER. Minimum setting can be someone's best friend on the Graphics options.  :)  I got to try Doom on that computer though, just for laughs.

Edit: I just remembered my father got rid of it, not too long ago, after it started malfunctioning and all those childhood memories I had with the Athlon CPU and the Radeon X1550 are forever gone (maybe it was another model, I can't remember). Damn it.

1 hour ago, Glaice said:

I ended up paying full price on Steam.

60 USD.

Worth it. Doom is the only game to give me a real adrenaline rush in years.

My country is not as rich as others so I usually pirate my games but there are companies like CDPR, Blizzard, and Id Software (and others too) that have my utmost respect and I always buy their games at full price. If I pay 60 dollars for a game then it means I have utmost respect for the company and feel 100% confident in the game.

iD and Gearbox games drop pretty quick in price. I'm surprised it took this long for them to hit $20. I can only assume they made their money so why not let everyone get in on the action?