Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lost Soul

Duke 3d hates XP

I'm trying to run the Duke Nukem Kill-a-ton collection, and can;t run Duke3d from it. IT just won;t open at ALL. Perhaps it's a winXP thing? Cause the sounds were treated the same way they are when you try to run Doom wiuthout a sourceport on XP. the game loads.. then dies before it reaches the title screen. Little help??

My duke 3d runs on XP perfectly .. i just have plain old duke 3d though not the atomic edition. Im not sure what the kill a thon was.

Kill-a-ton was.. everything. Duke 1-3D, the Plutonium pack, Duke it out in DC, shitpiles of Duke levels on top of that. And desktop themes etc,etc.

I'm having the same problem... I think if you want to run DOS games in XP you have to make a shortcut on the desktop, then edit something, but I can't remember what it is. Does anybody know?

goto setup.exe then choose sound fx card choose soundblaster then change interupt then change the IRQ .. IRQ5 makes it work on mine id go with that first then if that doesnt work , try the others

Okay, I just did a bit of Googling and found out that it should work if you run it from the command prompt instead of opening the .exe on its own. However it will not work under VESA or IPX modes. Sound may or may not work, it depends on your sound card. Chances are the newer it is the less likely it's going to work. Choosing Sound Blaster in Setup is indeed your best bet.

I've tried this and it runs fine, but the SFX are a bit choppy. I dunno how well (if it all) the reverb will work under XP, though

Duke3D produces that mysterious "atomic glow" error on my XP laptop. Same with the other Duke games, the Hugo games, and various other DOS games. Odd thing is, it doesn't lock up, ever. The sound plays, and the screen fades from a mysterious image to white. I think it has to do with a particular video mode.

Hmm.. I don;t think it's going to be an issue much longer.. now winXP refuses to acknowledge autoplay with this CD, and won;t go into setup, so I can't reinstall the goddamned thing. GRRRRRR!!!