Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KVELLER

Have you played Doom without secrets?

ill play Doom 2 w/o secrets under the condition that I can still get that first chainsaw in Entryway.

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

Then try doing Go 2 It with using only the pistol for a real challenge :)

It sounds tempting. If I could make a video I would upload it. The problem is it would be very long 

6 hours ago, KVELLER said:

in the vanilla game Doom's "internal calculator" gets messed up when there's no secrets in the map, and it will give you 0% secrets.

6 hours ago, KVELLER said:

it was a bug in the original source code.

From a mathematical-logical point of view, it makes equally as much sense to say that you've got 0% secrets as to say that you've got 100% secrets, if the map contains no secrets. So I wouldn't consider either displaying 0% or displaying 100% in that case to be "correct" and the other one to be "bugged".

7 hours ago, 40oz said:

ill play Doom 2 w/o secrets under the condition that I can still get that first chainsaw in Entryway.

That sector doesn't have the secret tag, so yes, you can.

After I upload the Moonblood soundtrack, I should do a challenge in Doom, involving no secrets discovered and using only the pistol and fist. And in UV.

I couldn't play Doom and start missing all the secrets. Some of them are engraved on my memory, so if I did a playthrough like this and someone watched it, it would seem like I was drunk and disoriented, when in reality I would be just trying to miss intentionally the secrets. I spent so much time in my last playthrough of Doom 1, searching the levels for secrets, after killing all the demons and I was pleasantly surprised every time I spotted a new secret (they are well hidden most of the time). 

Episode run of E1 with 0 secrets triggered. Fun! I'll get around to pistol starts soon.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/c2txod2z7clk11a/doom_234_nosecret.lmp (spoiler: I can't play Doom)

It blows me away that the rocket launcher doesn't appear until E1M7 and the chainsaw doesn't appear at all out of secrets. Or maybe I suck at Doom E1 and didn't spot them on maps before.

We should start a competition or something where there's "most monsters killed without triggering any secrets" as a guideline.

1 hour ago, DoomLover234 said:

Episode run of E1 with 0 secrets triggered. Fun! I'll get around to pistol starts soon.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/c2txod2z7clk11a/doom_234_nosecret.lmp (spoiler: I can't play Doom)

It blows me away that the rocket launcher doesn't appear until E1M7 and the chainsaw doesn't appear at all out of secrets. Or maybe I suck at Doom E1 and didn't spot them on maps before.

We should start a competition or something where there's "most monsters killed without triggering any secrets" as a guideline.

The first RL appears in a secret found in E1M3 btw

I said "doesn't appear at all out of secrets". Besides, isn't the point of this to play without finding the secrets?

8 minutes ago, DoomLover234 said:

I said "doesn't appear at all out of secrets". Besides, isn't the point of this to play without finding the secrets?

:D, my bad.

14 minutes ago, DoomLover234 said:

Pistol-started each level of E1 without any secrets. I can safely say Military Base is the most problematic ammo-wise, and that the Computer Station is probably the deadliest E1 level.

doom_e1_234_nosecret_pistolstart.zip

Cool!!! I guess that Military Base is the hardest one due to the ammo. It's scarce.

2 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Cool!!! I guess that Military Base is the hardest one due to the ammo. It's scarce.

Ammo only makes it difficult to balance. In Computer Station you get much ammo but you can still die at any step you take because the level is open and all of the monsters can literally hear you when you fire your first shot and they will find you and search for you so that's really tense too. Also you see me having 1 HP at Phobos Lab but that's due to me trying to speedrun the hardest section of the level.

7 minutes ago, DoomLover234 said:

Ammo only makes it difficult to balance. In Computer Station you get much ammo but you can still die at any step you take because the level is open and all of the monsters can literally hear you when you fire your first shot and they will find you and search for you so that's really tense too. Also you see me having 1 HP at Phobos Lab but that's due to me trying to speedrun the hardest section of the level.

Computer Station is a special one because the enemies are located, or above you or below you, especially from the area where you can see the exit in the beginning. Phobos Lab can be a bitch if you're not careful...

Nah... I will always found secrets, but not all! There must be a situation when you thinking "there is some more secrets in this map which I not found!"

BTW Plutonia Experimant have not many secrets. Because Casali Bros. not that good at secret-making. In comparison with John Romero.

It took me a long time figure out all the secrets from Episode 1. In fact, it wasn't until very recently I finally found all of E1M1's secrets. (Namely having to time getting onto the secret elevator). It probably wasn't until the early 2000s I finally figured out how to reach the secret E1 map legitimately, without just idclipping into the room in front of the secret exit in E1M3.