Weird things you wonder about Doom

While playing some Ultimate Doom I wanted to ask a question like this to see what other people often wondered about Doom during their various gameplays. Some examples of what I mean (and my own wonders) include:

• What does the health bonus liquid taste like?
  • What does it feel like to take a Soulsphere?
  • What does it feel like inside the UAC facilities (like the temperature)?
  • What does it smell like in the various locations?
  • What is the green and blue armor made of? They almost appear glass like.
  • How do we use the armor bonuses? They look like medieval helmets...
  • What does it feel like using a Berserk pack?

How can Doomguy carry so much ammo? (50 rockets!)

What were revenants before they were revenants? (Like what demon were they before being "picked up and dusted off?")

Why is that one guy who is impaled twitching? Is he still alive?

Why does Doomguy wear neon green armor? (It would be better if it was camouflaged)

What happened to my keycards?

I always wondered that. Doesnt make much sense.

Edited by Voros

Posted (edited)

I will try and answer all questions using my super-imaginitive imagination. Beware, probably not canon.

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

intro

• What does the health bonus liquid taste like?
  • What does it feel like to take a Soulsphere?
  • What does it feel like inside the UAC facilities (like the temperature)?
  • What does it smell like in the various locations?
  • What is the green and blue armor made of? They almost appear glass like.
  • How do we use the armor bonuses? They look like medieval helmets...
  • What does it feel like using a Berserk pack?

1. Like Sprite

2. Like slowly submerging yourself into a moderately cool sea water

3. Air conditioned, while next to toxic stuff it reeks like smoke and its hot as well

4. Depends. In hangar per instance, coming near that lake, you could smell something burning, or sulfur.

5. Some new type of metal, designed to be light and mobile, used for security guards.

6. Grab one into your fist, it fizzles and dissappear like glowing dust in the wind.

7. Constant heart attack coupled by immense rage only gained by crippling stomach ache.

Edited by Battle_Kirby
accidentally pressed post

Posted (edited)

42 minutes ago, Voros said:

Maybe in the first room of each map there is an invisible barrier that destroys everything, except humans, demons and weapons (like in Portal with the cubes). Or some douchebag thought that having different blue, red and yellow keycards on each facility was a good idea (so Doomguy has to throw away the old keys and get new ones on every level).

Other than that, I wonder the following:

What it feels like to have 200% Health and Armor?

What it feels like to eat a Cyberdemon's rocket in the face and survive?

What it feels like to get burned by an Archvile?

Why is Doomguy always fatally wounded on the neck? Can't he die of anything else?

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Xyzzy01 said:

How can Doomguy carry so much ammo? (50 rockets!)

What were revenants before they were revenants? (Like what demon were they before being "picked up and dusted off?")

Why is that one guy who is impaled twitching? Is he still alive?

Why does Doomguy wear neon green armor? (It would be better if it was camouflaged)

1. He dissasembles the rocket shells to find smaller rockets, size of some super big alkaline batteries

2. Humans, only abducted before the invasion, and then injected with spookium calcium to get enlarged bones (plus dragging veins over the bones helps)

3. He is still alive. But if he ever dares to say or do something, he dies instantly. Why does he keep moving after you shoot him? Shockwave perhaps.

4. He picks up security armor, designed to be carried by the Phobos's equal of mall cops. They are supposed to be bright to indicate rank, to indicate "gtfo or ill shoot you" and to be spotted by the other personel so they could be like "omfg he aint a terrorist hlap!". I take it there were some terrorists or rival corporations who attacked UAC regularily.

2 people like this

12 minutes ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

Other than that, I wonder the following:

What it feels like to have 200% Health and Armor?

What it feels like to eat a Cyberdemon's rocket in the face and survive?

What it feels like to get burned by an Archvile?

Why is Doomguy always fatally wounded on the neck? Can't he die of anything else?

1. You can feel a invisible aura of protectivness around you which absorbs damage. In fact any health % beyond 100 is credited to magic and these "auras"

2. It probably stings like a electric sucker punch, aka, after it punches you you can still feel the pain trickling around your eyes and nose and mouth. Very disconcerting.

3. A mini explosion, like having a lit torch thrown at you, only if the torch was oiled and had dynamite strapped to it.

4. Probably all blood travels to the neck when fatally injured by magick, as blood seeks to escape. Usually Doomguy has thick skin, but enough traumas and spells are going to weaken that and destroy the tissue at his neck, the only exposed part of his body.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Voros said:

I always wondered that. Doesnt make much sense.

Take it that Doomguy usually leaves the keycards in the keyholes so that whoever passes through behind him doesn't have to rummage through corpses. He probably also expects backup to arrive and help him deal with this. The quicker they can arrive without having to manually dissasemble doors, the better.

Edited by Battle_Kirby
oh yeah and
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

How do Cacodemons open doors?

1 person likes this

^ Maybe Cacodemons can open a portal to another dimension, from where some minions with hands appear, they open the door for the Cacos and get inside the portal again, before it closes (the minions are too weak to fight, so they always retreat and legend has it that Doomguy has never seen one of those in his entire life).

1 person likes this

How am I keeping balance on this catwalk right now?

VQNMCzG.png

5LcJGaL.png

3 people like this

I wondering.... Why I can't wear two pistols or two super shotguns?

@scifista42 

It's that rocket propelled scooter that Doomguy uses to get around. Currently he's using the hover mode.

Edited by Piper Maru
5 people like this

Posted (edited)

Do monsters pee?

Or mate?

Do they even have genitals?

Or they breed like cells by deviding?

1 person likes this

^ They don't breed, they just get spawned by the Icon of Sin.

2 people like this

40 minutes ago, Piper Maru said:

How do Cacodemons open doors?

Either doors have motion sensors, or cacos just open their mouths and let their own tooth scrape the doorknob or whatever opens the door. It is even possible in real life! Just... not that neccesary.

1 person likes this

30 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

How am I keeping balance on this catwalk right now?

*relatable pics*

Much like some acrobats and super strong people, Doomguy is keeping both of his feet on the rail. It is just he is a bit tilted to the side, but apparently he is tough enough to hold that position or switch to another with ease. Why isn't the perspective tilted aswell?

A small sketch to explain.

shite.png

1 person likes this

36 minutes ago, Slimz said:

I wondering.... Why I can't wear two pistols or two super shotguns?

Doomguy, no matter how super he is, requires both hands to operate certain weapons. He might as well hold his right hand underneath his left hand while shooting the pistol, and he needs to find a way to reload his super shotgun. Every other weapon also requires both hands. It is just that good guys at id dont want us to spend half of our gameplay looking at the rocket launcher being reloaded or how the Doomguy holds the belt for the chaingun.

I wonder ,what demons do in their free time,when they are not planing  invasion in random uac base.

36 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Do monsters pee?

Or mate?

Do they even have genitals?

Or they breed like cells by deviding?

Possesion and mutation. Most of the monsters (sans lost souls, cacos, pain mothefuckers and archviles) possess a earthly aspect to their ways of life. I dont have to explain mancubi and revenants (possesion and bioengineering ofc). Barons and his folk are minotaur like beings, but I take it they were abducted beforehand and transformed into what they are. Impies are the same, just more "child-like" to barons.

Lost souls are magical self guiding bullets brought to life by pain elementals, engineered bio weapons, a side-mutation of cacos. Cacos probably spawn like mushrooms or are results of some very gory flowers in spring. Archviles just... happen, a la, they are super-old aliens and they themselves probably dont know how to replicate. Endless cycle of resurrection brought on a species who forgot how to mate? Most likely.

in general, demons need "willing" candidates for them to undergo futher mutation and bio-wet work. Either they kidnap other aliens or humans, then they use magick and in some case, modern tech, to create armies. Sometimes it is pieces of equipment that get possesed, or corpses, and god forbid, even supernatural beings. All they have to do is answer the door to the house of their souls to get steered into numerous hell factories, get reworked (attach rocket launchers or plasma guns or whatever), and then teleported into battle. There is no "usual" reproduction, unless they have farms... oh my god...

How do monsters hear the sound of a fist punching the air, and why do they ignore the sound of an idling chainsaw?

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

I wonder ,what demons do in their free time,when they are not planing  invasion in random uac base.

Available units are on standby (sleeping most likely), until go time, where they live up, and probably eat corpses, make a mess, yadda. During planning, big demon spirits just abduct aliens and people and bring them into hellish factories to spawn MOAR DEMONZ for us to shoot. Growing a army, really.

1 person likes this

Just now, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

How do monsters hear the sound of a fist punching the air, and why do they ignore the sound of an idling chainsaw?

Idling chainsaw sounds a lot like the other machines in the facility, so they probably ignore it thinking it is a roomba making a sweep or something(demons dont know shit).

But the monsters are always always alert, and have keen senses otherwise how would they find humans? No one would really swing a fist randomly unless they want to tear down a wall or a obstacle. Occasionaly a monster does that, others check what is happening and then judge based on what they see.

22 minutes ago, Battle_Kirby said:

Doomguy, no matter how super he is, requires both hands to operate certain weapons. He might as well hold his right hand underneath his left hand while shooting the pistol, and he needs to find a way to reload his super shotgun. Every other weapon also requires both hands. It is just that good guys at id dont want us to spend half of our gameplay looking at the rocket launcher being reloaded or how the Doomguy holds the belt for the chaingun.

How about this? 

xd.png

My idea of picking up a soulsphere is like this...Doomguy picks up and absorb it, enveloped by a blue aura for a brief moment. Same for the megasphere. Also, both of them contains a soul...if Doomguy picked up ALL those souls, those souls can't stay forever, right?

I always wondered why monsters like Pain Elementals, Mancubi, Cyberdemon, Mastermind, Arachnatrons, archviles, and the former humans don't have melee attacks by original design.

Edited by Tracer

Posted (edited)

Just now, Slimz said:

How about this? 

*pic*

I cannot understand properly what does the picture show.

1 minute ago, Tracer said:

I always wondered why monsters like Pain Elementals, Mancubi, Cyberdemon, Mastermind, Arachnatrons, and the former humans don't have melee attacks by original design.

Apparently, the guys at id never taught about players ever coming close to these baddies, judging by their attacks. Probably a oversight by the devs.

3 minutes ago, Tracer said:

I always wondered why monsters like Pain Elementals, Mancubi, Cyberdemon, Mastermind, Arachnatrons, archviles, and the former humans don't have melee attacks by original design.

And they have their arms, or legs or the mouth to attack...

3 minutes ago, Battle_Kirby said:

I cannot understand properly what does the picture show.

1. Doomguy killed another shithead.

2. Throws super shotguns to ground.

3. Gets on backpack a supershotguns.