Weird things you wonder about Doom

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Meaning "shores of hell v2.0"-ish...

Hmm,  I never thought of it that way. So it may be an earth base taken over by hell? That makes a lot of sense now. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

"shores of hell v2.0".

"The Shores of Hell on Earth"

 

I like it, new community project 1 2 3 go!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Nevander said:

Imagine if he made it into a shrunken head and carried it with him as a good luck charm to give him luck while kicking demon ass. Maybe he did...

The fact that he is constanly forced to fight demon hordes alone proves that it doesn't work.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/21/2017 at 2:00 AM, Nevander said:

While playing some Ultimate Doom I wanted to ask a question like this to see what other people often wondered about Doom during their various gameplays. Some examples of what I mean (and my own wonders) include:

 

  • What does the health bonus liquid taste like?
  • What does it feel like to take a Soulsphere?
  • What does it feel like inside the UAC facilities (like the temperature)?
  • What does it smell like in the various locations?
  • What is the green and blue armor made of? They almost appear glass like.
  • How do we use the armor bonuses? They look like medieval helmets...
  • What does it feel like using a Berserk pack?

1) Blueberry flavored Red Bull

2) Like an invigorating dive in cold water

3) The UAC facility is kept at a pleasant 20°C.

4) Bases probably have an industrial odor to them, while hell has a miasmal odor.

5) Green and Blue armor are simply cardboard cutouts sprayed painted appropriate colors.

6) You simply wear them like a normal helmet. But due to it's magical properties involving pockets of microdimensions you can easily wear multiple helmets stacking them.

7) Imagine having the worst case of road rage, but multiply it by a million and you'll drop your weapons and use your hands to rip and tear.

Share this post


Link to post

Why does the Icon of Sin have so many mechanical stuff on it? Maybe it lost its body and it needs UAC machinery to stay alive?

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, KVELLER said:

Why does the Icon of Sin have so many mechanical stuff on it? Maybe it lost its body and it needs UAC machinery to stay alive?

It could have been achieved when the UAC messed up with the teleport experimentation to Hell...maybe?...

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Why does the Icon of Sin have so many mechanical stuff on it? Maybe it lost its body and it needs UAC machinery to stay alive?

That thing's got an exposed brain... It's on life-support, simple as that. Imagine your brain was exposed.... You'd be on life-support too...

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

That thing's got an exposed brain... It's on life-support, simple as that. Imagine your brain was exposed.... You'd be on life-support too...

Hm... Now everything is clear...

 

The demons were getting extinct, and they couldn't expose the Icon of Sin's brain without killing it, so as soon as they realized that the idiots at the UAC opened a dimesional gateway, they inmediately invaded to get life-support systems so they could save their species.

 

My imagination is slowly starting to work.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/21/2017 at 8:43 AM, Matthias said:

I also wonder what is it like to touch a cacodemon. Is it fluffy?

I've always imagined Cacodemon flesh like a shampoo-filled sponge. You press down on the spongy surface, and it oozes blood instead of shampoo. So Cacodemons are like big bloody sponges.

 

They also fly because magic.

Share this post


Link to post

Why does the UAC have barrels containing explosive liquids haphazardly scattered around their facility instead of proper storage?

Why does the UAC insist on opening portals to hell? You'd think they would have learned their lesson after the first time.

Why do the demons even bother invading our plane of existence whenever the UAC opens a portal into their world? They know very well whose coming for them.

Why are demons so eager to in-fight one another? They would benefit by putting their differences aside and concentrate their effort on smashing the Doomguy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Piper Maru said:

Why does the UAC have barrels containing explosive liquids haphazardly scattered around their facility instead of proper storage?

Why does the UAC insist on opening portals to hell? You'd think they would have learned their lesson after the first time.

Why do the demons even bother invading our plane of existence whenever the UAC opens a portal into their world? They know very well whose coming for them.

Why are demons so eager to in-fight one another? They would benefit by putting their differences aside and concentrate their effort on smashing the Doomguy.

 

1-UAC doesn't care apparently...

2-Because humans...

3-Demons are stupid...

4-Same as 3...facepalm...

 

:D

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Piper Maru said:

Why does the UAC have barrels containing explosive liquids haphazardly scattered around their facility instead of proper storage?

Military =/= safe work environment

 

1 minute ago, Piper Maru said:

Why does the UAC insist on opening portals to hell? You'd think they would have learned their lesson after the first time

Higher authorities don't learn until they get it handed to them... Since we're always caught between the lines, and always win, it's kinda like our fault, actually...

 

2 minutes ago, Piper Maru said:

Why do the demons even bother invading our plane of existence whenever the UAC opens a portal into their world? They know very well whose coming for them

Higher authorities...

2 minutes ago, Piper Maru said:

Why are demons so eager to in-fight one another? They would benefit by putting their differences aside and concentrate their effort on smashing the Doomguy.

Demon species hate everything that is different to them, thus they lash out at everything that bothers them when given a reason (pain).

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Piper Maru said:

Why does the UAC have barrels containing explosive liquids haphazardly scattered around their facility instead of proper storage?

I just remebered that you can find a message in a PDA in Doom 3 where someone asks the same thing.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Doom 3 also asked, and answered, the question of WHY ARE THERE CHAINSAWS ON A CELESTIAL BODY THAT LACKS TREES!?!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

If the UAC facilities were intended to be real, working buildings, does this mean every UAC employee has a keycard? What purpose would a secret exit serve? In fact, why would there need to exits anyway? Couldn't one just leave the way they came in?

 

It got me thinking about a WAD that could actually attempt to portray the space between each UAC facility. Like, you leave E1M1, you've got to walk around a bit on Phobos, then you enter another building and E1M2 starts. Too bad the engine doesn't work that way.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, drygnfyre said:

If the UAC facilities were intended to be real, working buildings, does this mean every UAC employee has a keycard? What purpose would a secret exit serve? In fact, why would there need to exits anyway? Couldn't one just leave the way they came in?

No, it means some doors are restricted to supervising employees. Those supervisors meet up with their Co-workers and take them to their job such as it is. Also in case of emergencies, the bases are going to be shut down, to make containing hostile forces easier. That's what key cards are there for.

 

Secret exit is there for the inclined and priviliged to work on stuff that is meant to be kept from the eyes of everyboy else (public in particular), thus they have hidden secret exits to get to their place of work.

 

If you leave throught the door you entered, you're not progressing, are you?

 

8 minutes ago, drygnfyre said:

It got me thinking about a WAD that could actually attempt to portray the space between each UAC facility. Like, you leave E1M1, you've got to walk around a bit on Phobos, then you enter another building and E1M2 starts. Too bad the engine doesn't work that way.

I don't see why it wouldn't work at all. You would kinda have these "inbetween maps" scenarios which could add a lot of sense of adventure to a project, and really deliver some nice immersion. Mind you, since doom2 came out, there's no episode specific "overview map" anymore. That being said, I love the idea.

Edited by Nine Inch Heels
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Share this post


Link to post

What makes the Spider Mastermind and Cyberdemon able to resist splash damage?

Who is looking at you through the partial invisibility sphere?

Why do radiation suits have leaks? Does the UAC not value the health of their employees?

How did all the monsters get locked up behind walls and have to wait for Doomguy to come and rescue them, just to kill them shortly after?

Why does chaingun sound so much cooler when fired by a Heavy Weapon Dude.

Why are zombiemen so inaccurate? Does UAC military personnel receive no training at all?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, idbeholdME said:

Why do radiation suits have leaks? Does the UAC not value the health of their employees?

Of course they don't care. They opened a portal to Hell goddamnit.

 

1 hour ago, idbeholdME said:

How did all the monsters get locked up behind walls and have to wait for Doomguy to come and rescue them, just to kill them shortly after?

Probably they teleported from Hell into those areas.

 

1 hour ago, idbeholdME said:

 Why are zombiemen so inaccurate?

Probably because their flesh and muscles are rotten and therefore they can't aim properly. Or maybe their brain is so fucked up that they lost even the common sense to aim....

 

1 hour ago, idbeholdME said:

Does UAC military personnel receive no training at all?

...or maybe it's just this.

Edited by KVELLER

Posted (edited)

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now